Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robsie71
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: TomTom advice Reply with quote

Looking to renew my TomTom but don't want to ha e to sacrifice the PGPSW camera database. Is there any current model that can take the camera poi locations and also does live traffic

Thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approximately NO.

They can take POIs, but won't do the warnings.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old hand with TomTom and our main vehicle is a Renault Scenic with Carminat installed. It works just the way I'm used to but I am paying for map upgrades and Live services. I've just bought a Mini convertible for excusions around the country roads here in Cornwall and thought I might get a new PND rather than pay to update mps on my ancient TT One. I'm horrified that TT have shut the door on 3rd party POIs, which are essential for what I need, including average speed cameras which are popping up around villages here.

I admit to being confused by the current model range but assuming I don't want Live services for local driving is there a model currently being sold that will support PGPSW data and other special interest POIs?

Any advice would be appreciated. Possibly a used unit, but I'd want 'lifetime' maps or another brand if there's anything suitable.

If I hadn't been a customer for a long time, I'd say I can't believe TT can be this stupid, but I don't see how they can survive now. Smartphone solutions are not for eveyone, including me.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with my Via 135M which is one of the last TomToms to accept third party POIs including visual and audio warnings. The 'M' indicates free lifetime maps.

New units are still available, e.g. Amazon has the Europe version for £116.65, and the UK version for £99.90.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Anita, I'll look right away!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
I'm an old hand with TomTom and our main vehicle is a Renault Scenic with Carminat installed. It works just the way I'm used to but I am paying for map upgrades and Live services.

I thought you could at least get the cheap map update service (I did) and maybe even comparatively cheap Live Services for the Carminat?

But if you ever change your car and get a new Renault with their R-Link TomTom, you'll be in the same mess for maps and services as the latest TT devices - only you'll be even worse off, because the software and their website are unbelievable.

Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed your 'tired old man' comment Dennis, so you'll understand where I'm at, particularly as you're in the SW too. We're well retired down at the west end of Cornwall and hardly ever leave the Duchy. Only got one trunk road, the A30, so our gps needs are very different to what they were and our vehicles rarely do more than 3k a year, mainly on country lanes. Nothing focuses the mind more than a touch of terminal illness and we got rid of our smallest car thinking I'd never be driving again. However a small miracle means that I'm still here and able to get out again and enjoy our lovely coastal surroundings. I was about to order a new top model Twingo with an opening roof, which has the R-Link system. Seemed to work ok on extended test drives, but it suddenly dawned on me that this vehicle didn't have a fun button and was exceedingly boring. So got smart this week and found a brilliant deal on a nearly new Cooper S Convertible, which has put the smile back on my ancient face. All I really need is a basic system that can do what used to be an OS map job, and stop me from absent-mindedly blundering into a speed camera. I will act on Anita's advice, seem to be a good supply of Via 135M units about. Don't need the bluetooth function as it's built into the car - I don't suppose it's possible to use it to connect to the car's audio system.

BTW we just lost the audio on our Carminat, thought it was a TomTom problem, turned out to be a blown door front speaker. We were too stupid to spot the radio was only playing through the back speakers which the Carminat apparently doesn't use. Being fixed on the warranty at this very moment Rolling Eyes
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need Bluetooth you could get a Start 25M. I got one for my sister and it seems to be exactly the same as the Via 135M but lacks bluetooth, which I needed.

Available from Amazon, but strangely the Europe version is £79.00 but the UK one is £96.99!
Samsung Galaxy S21
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos are knocking the via135 which includes full EU lifetime maps for £99.99
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what TT's definition of 'lifetime' is? If I buy an obsolete albeit new model are they going to pull an 'end of life' carpet from under my f?eet

I suppose you can't talk to the Start 25M, is that a feature you use, Anita?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can't say I've ever tried voice recognition with either the Via 135 or my previous GO 720.

Is that another difference between the Via and the Start? If so I must remember to mention it in future posts.

As for TT's definition of 'Lifetime' I don't suppose anyone knows that for sure, even TT!

For me the most important deciding factor was that it was one of the last models that could use the camera database.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on not getting the Twingo with R-Link.

As for lifetime, I personally think it's as long as you keep it going, although there has been some suggestion that when TT make a model "legacy" that's end of life - they don't suppport legacy models. But they do go on for a long time, and the SIM will still work, presumably, so I wouldn't worry my head over that. Main thing is they are backup-able and work the speed cameras, which none of the new ones will.

I think voice recognition is still a dud with TomToms (my R-Link spent a morning in the dealership on Wednesday for them to diagnose why it doesn't do it - they proved that it mechanically works, just doesn't understand English). But bluetooth for hands free phone calls has worked reasonably with SOME models (mostly the first ones - GO 700 [the 2005 model] is what I can use today).

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Start 25M.
Traffic? PGPSW Cam database?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore my comment about SIM - it doesn't do Traffic.

So it'll go on as long as you get lucky and forget the lifetime thing - my GO700 is 10 years old and I've bought the annual map service for it, no bother. TT have stopped doing software updates for it and if I were to ring and tell them I've got a problem, they'd say they can't help (no longer supported, legacy model). But it still works fine and takes the cameras and new maps.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Traffic?
No but
Zuke wrote:
. . . assuming I don't want Live services for local driving

M8TJT wrote:
PGPSW Cam database?
Yes with the PGPSW image and sound warnings.

DennisN wrote:
Main thing is they are backup-able . . .
Sadly they are not backup-able as they are Nav3(?) and use MyDrive.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: