Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch four new GO SatNavs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch four new GO SatNavs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: TomTom launch four new GO SatNavs Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom announced a range of four new GO SatNav devices at an event in Amsterdam on 29th April. These new devices are called the TomTom GO 510, 610, 5100, and 6100 with either a 5 inch or 6 inch display screen.

All these new SatNavs feature Lifetime World Map updates and Lifetime Speed Camera updates. This allows these devices to be used worldwide without having to purchase any additional mapping.

The new GO devices also feature real time traffic information with data being provided by a smartphone connection for the 510 and 610. The 5100 and 6100 have a built in SIM card providing the data which includes unlimited lifetime data and roaming at no additional cost.

These devices are available now and start from £169.99.

The full TomTom press release follows:

29April 2015 – TomTom is introducing Lifetime World Maps and Lifetime Speed Cameras [1] to drivers with the launch of new TomTom navigation devices. Lifetime World Maps allows people to drive with maps from around the world at no extra cost, for the lifetime of their TomTom GO device [2] . Lifetime Speed Cameras lets drivers know the locations of all speed cameras – both fixed and mobile, also for the lifetime of the device.

The TomTom GO 510, 610, 5100 and 6100 feature a fully interactive screen to pinch, zoom and swipe – as well as a rich user interface, simplified user interaction, 3D Maps [3] and a Click & Go mount. Drivers can also choose between a 5" or a 6" screen size.

And, to make the daily commute even easier, the new TomTom GO devices even include ‘Drive Home’ and ‘Drive to Work’ buttons in the main menu, for faster, simpler navigation.

TomTom GO devices combine real-time traffic information with routing technology, to always offer drivers the fastest route available. TomTom Traffic covers all mapped roads and combines data from millions of data sources, from all over the world, to deliver traffic information so accurate that, with each new update, it can pinpoint the start and end of a traffic jam, precisely, down to 10 metres.

Corinne Vigreux, co-founder and Managing Director, TomTom Consumer says: “With the addition of Lifetime World Maps and Lifetime Speed Cameras to our new TomTom GO devices, we’re offering the most comprehensive package to drivers that we’ve ever launched. Our aim is to help you avoid the jams, getting to your destination faster, wherever in the world you might be.”

Lifetime TomTom Traffic is available via a smartphone connection on the TomTom GO 510 and 610. The TomTom GO 5100 and 6100 offer Lifetime TomTom Traffic via a built-in SIM with unlimited data and roaming at no extra cost.

The new TomTom navigation devices are compatible with TomTom MyDrive [4] . For the first time, drivers can use their smartphone, tablet or PC to review real-time traffic information, plan routes, and send destinations to their TomTom GO, before they get in the car. Previously launched TomTom GO devices [5] are also compatible with MyDrive though a simple software update. Find out more about TomTom MyDrive here.

The new TomTom GO devices are now available online from www.tomtom.com and at Halfords and other UK retailers priced from £169.99 (GO 510).

email icon

ikhlaq786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is that does it allow for 3rd party downloads ? i.e PocketGPSWord's speed camera database? Confused Confused
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, impressive on the face of it ... could make me buy a TT for the first time Wink
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikhlaq786 beat me to it - it's a simple question that TomTom has been asked many times before - What about third party POI support? Not just basic using but full support for creating/changing/deleting POI categories and creating/changing/deleting individual POIs.

Lifetime world maps and lifetime SIM traffic would normally make me immediately go out and buy a top of the range TomTom PND, although TomTom can keep their speed camera database, however without full third party POI support the units are worthless to me and probably to a lot of users!

Also, Lifetime world maps and lifetime SIM traffic sounds business suicide: How does TomTom generate income from customers? Unless of course the units are designed to fail after a predetermined period. Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rf065
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
ikhlaq786
Also, Lifetime world maps and lifetime SIM traffic sounds business suicide: How does TomTom generate income from customers? Unless of course the units are designed to fail after a predetermined period. Rolling Eyes

Regards,

I always thought the lifetime updates were for the life of whichever TomTom model you purchased. I.E, as soon as it is replaced by a newer model, the map updates no longer apply to your's as it has now been superceded.

Russ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf065 wrote:
Privateer wrote:
ikhlaq786

Regards,

I always thought the lifetime updates were for the life of whichever TomTom model you purchased. I.E, as soon as it is replaced by a newer model, the map updates no longer apply to your's as it has now been superceded.

Russ

Lifetime means as long as the device is working, not until TomTom have a replacement device and make it obsolete:

"Receive TomTom Traffic, Speed Cameras and download 4 or more full updates of any installed map every year, for the life of your product. "
rf065
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

"Receive TomTom Traffic, Speed Cameras and download 4 or more full updates of any installed map every year, for the life of your product. "

You could argue that once TomTom bring out a replacement for any model, the life of the earlier model has ended. I'm sure TomTom will say the life of the product ends as soon as they replace it.

Russ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf065 wrote:
MikeB wrote:

You could argue that once TomTom bring out a replacement for any model, the life of the earlier model has ended. I'm sure TomTom will say the life of the product ends as soon as they replace it.

Russ

Patently not true as TomTom release maps for products other than the current versions.
rf065
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf065 wrote:

Russ

In fact, to clarify and taken from a TomTom site......................

*Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates.

Russ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

OK, I think that we have worked out what lifetime means (i.e. the period of time that TomTom continues to support the device with software updates, services, content or accessories).

The bit about the units being designed to fail after a predetermined period what tongue-in-cheek (see the smiley). Thumbs Up

However that means that instead of receiving annual income from subscriptions to map updates and/or traffic/cameras, TomTom has to provide that for free for longer period of time i.e. possibly much longer than a year.

TomTom has overheads and still has to provide the service of new maps, cameras, traffic, etc, which costs money. TomTom will also want to continue to develop its range of products and thus needs money to do so. Regular money from existing customers for subscriptions and accessories is very useful. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, privateer, that's why my built in Renault R-Link TomTom requires £55 to give me a single map UK&ROI. I'm paying for all the rest of the community to have lifetiime free everything!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
That's right, privateer, that's why my built in Renault R-Link TomTom requires £55 to give me a single map UK&ROI. I'm paying for all the rest of the community to have lifetiime free everything!

Where is the like button???
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'don't need one - I already know that everybody likes - nay LOVES me. Love it

JimmyR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: "Lifetime" seems to mean 5 years Reply with quote

According to "Active on Device" for the TomTom Go 6001 I bought yesterday (Saturday 2nd May 2015) the "Lifetime Speed Cameras - Expires on 2020-05-01."
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Have a look again tomorrow - maybe it will say May 3rd 2015 because they have been clever enough to set this as "yesterday plus five years". This forum does not have a flying pig smileycon! Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: