Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Galaxy S4 and high mobile data useage.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Galaxy S4 and high mobile data useage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Galaxy S4 and high mobile data useage. Reply with quote

Good Evening Folks,

I have had the S4 for nearly a month and noticed that the mobile data is switching itself on all the time even sometimes when I am walking to the local shop (no maps active), my contract gives me 1GB of usage and am close to that limit this month with 4 days to go.

I suspect most of that usage is with Googlemaps turning itself on without warning earlier in the month when I was outside, on the odd occasion I have used CamerAlert, but I have not used either applications very often, a few days ago I went in to mobile data settings and used the "restrict background data" function on most of the applications, but it is too early to say if this reduces mobile data usage next month or not.

My old Nokia N8 allowed me to use maps with just GPS so no mobile data usage, so my questions is can I use CamerAlert and/or maps on the S4 without mobile data usage or not?

Kind regards
James.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA only uses data if you run it in map mode (except when you update the database)
Google maps will always use data unless it has cached the map tiles.
Have you got Smart network switch enabled? This might start mobile data, but I'm not sure. Just tried it and it doesn't for me though.
Go to Tools ~ Data and check Mobile data. That will tell you what's using most data.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
CA only uses data if you run it in map mode (except when you update the database)

and even then, only when the app is in the foreground (no map tiles are loaded when it is in the background)

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot that bit Embarassed
jamesjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Guys,

According to EE customer care I am not using as much data as I thought I was and I may have been misreading my usage on the EE website, according to EE I have only used 5mbs of data and not as I believed 95mbs, but I am sure in mid January the middle of my billing date it showed I had used half my data allowance.

Last night when I was out and about mobile data was still coming on at various times, during the evening I drove about 60 miles or so with location and wifi off and "restrict background mobile data" enabled on all listed applications on the data usage page. I did have bluetooth on to allow my Parrot 9200MK handsfree to receive phone calls and the mobile data was still coming on after I received 3 phone calls while driving with CamerAlert running in the background without googlemaps. When mobile data came on so did google maps and when I turned them off a maps offline warning appeared on the phone.

It looks like mobile data activating itself is not increasing my usage but I have been constantly going to the tools page and turning it off since mid January when the EE website showed I had used half my data allowance, so I am beginning to think that EE misinformed me of my usage when I checked mid month. I am going to leave mobile data and all applications on until the middle of Feb and then check it to see what my usage is.

Kind regards,
James.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a check on my S5 and this is what I found after switching off mobile data and WiFi. opening Google Maps (GM) does not switch on mobile data. Closing GM generates no error message. Trying to get directions from GM (blue arrow, bottom right) produces the 'off line' error message. But it does seem like GM has most of south east England cached on my phone.

Have you tried what I suggested earlier? Go to Tools ~ Data and check Mobile data. That will tell you what's using most data.

When you are referring to Google maps, are you referring to the Google Maps app or are you referring to the maps in CA?
Having mobile data on will not increase your useage per se. It's only when other apps use data that it clocks up. But I expect you knew that anyway.

Seems a bit of a mystery why mobile data is switching itself on though.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all of the above.
However, for peace of mind, you may consider installing a 3g/WiFi meter on your phone such as *3G Watchdog - Data Usage* by Richard Gruet, free from the Play store. A bit baffling to initially set up but very customisable and highly accurate. (Although there does appear to be an issue with Android 5).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
jamesjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again M8's for your input, I tried various tests over the last few days and noticed that in CA "advanced settings" maps were enabled on the "On startup also run" tab. Now that I have changed this setting to "nothing" when I open CamerAlert, GM maps and mobile data no longer opens anymore or later for that matter so I am no longer continually closing mobile data when using CA on a trip.

The "3G Watchdog - Data Usage" is very good thanks AliOnHols and it showed I was using data when GM maps and mobile data were enabling themselves before I did the above. I will check now and then on my next long car trip but I think although I was closing GM maps they were coming on and triggering mobile data and any other related applications and using my data.

So obviously it was my fault not reading the CA manual fully or finding the advanced tab so again thanks for your help guys.

Kind regards
James.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So obviously it was my fault not reading the CA manual fully
Very Happy You won't have been the first to do this. But you might just be the first to admit it.
I don't suppose you have dropbox or similar background sync on have you? That has been known to gobble your data.

CA will only use data if CA is in the foreground as MaFt said above.
secreto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread but in order to lock programs that switch on data without people realizing there is an app called CLEAN MASTER I use it daily it is very good and actually advises you on a splash screen of the apps that are running without your knowledge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: