Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom for Android app moves to subscription model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom for Android app moves to subscription model
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: New TomTom for Android app moves to subscription model Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom have re-launched their Android navigation app with a ground up re-write. The new app shares the same updated interface as their latest GO satnav range but, notably, will now use a subscription payment model where the app is free to download but features such as navigation, real-time traffic and speed cameras will require a subscription to access.

The app comes with 50-miles of navigation, traffic and speed cameras included for free each month, ideal for low milage drivers or to evaluate the app and services. A subscription will cost 14.99 for one year or 34.99 for three years. That compares favourably with the price of the old app. The old app cost 34.99, add on a one year traffic sub at 18.99 and it's not hard to see that this is good value for those who use it a lot.

Existing owners of the Android app have not been forgotten. For 50p they will get a three year subscription, the 50p fee being imposed by Google who have no mechanism for gifting free upgrades to new software like this.

It's a big change for sure. Some will no doubt balk at the subscription model but this new pricing structure makes sense and the inclusion of traffic alerts is a huge bonus.

The new app is now available on Google Play:

TomTom Android - Google Play

Source: www.tomtom.com
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that they are offering what amounts to a free trial!

Previously, there were a number of different Android Apps, "TomTom U.K. & Ireland", "Europe GPS Navigation TomTom", "TomTom Iberia", "TomTom Brazil", etc. depending on which map you wanted. There doesn't seem to be any indication, with the new version, which maps you get. Any ideas?
Will the new version allow the import of POIs?
Will the new version allow the use of the Camera Database to give Alerts?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page throws a little light on the map question!

Quote:
Access to all our maps

Also, existing users can relax, they'll get their 50p back!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Tomtom U.K. & Ireland app. Updated and was offered 3 maps - U.K. & Ireland, Europe and Western Europe. Picked Western Europe which downloaded. No charges except 98p not 50p.

Have copied PGPSW camera files from "old" app into new apps folder which looks correct as it has same files in it as old app. Cannot see them on map but seem to think you did not on old app until using it under battle conditions.

All is well looking forward to using it.

Alan
JaTe
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 26th Jan this year I paid 18.99 for 12 months Live Traffic on my SGS4 and there are still a couple of months of L.T. on the Nexus 7 - I suppose the 3 years free access is the compensation?
iantj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Small touch area? Reply with quote

Based on the screenshot you have to hit the bottom left of screen (very small target) to do anything while driving?

Was that the same on the old android?

I use the iPhone app which lets you whack anywhere. Fairly useful if phone is on a mount. I loathe my wife's go for that reason (amongst others)
JaTe
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Small touch area? Reply with quote

iantj wrote:
Based on the screenshot you have to hit the bottom left of screen (very small target) to do anything while driving?

I use the iPhone app which lets you whack anywhere. Fairly useful if phone is on a mount. I loathe my wife's go for that reason (amongst others)

No, just like your iPhone app you could hit the screen anywhere.

I have been playing with the map this morning after a 6Gb Europe map download to see if PGPSW Poi's can be added and even after following a suggestion from the TT Forum, it seems to me that this app. will not recognise a 3rd party POI.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone else if they have managed to do so and can advise me because at the moment I am not impressed ....... Cheers
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Small touch area? Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
iantj wrote:

No, just like your iPhone app you could hit the screen anywhere.

You need to hit the little icon in the corner to go into any of the menus, but you can scroll around the map & pinch zoom anywhere else on the screen, which I reckon is a huge improvement. With the old app pinch zoom and scrolling could only be used on a different "View Map" screen which was a pita.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to add POI, and it's impossible to mark a road as closed etc, so if TomTom hasn't marked a closed road (roadworks) as such on the map you will be constantly routed through it, as is happening with 2 major roads close to me Confused
Big_Daddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no custom PoIs means I'm not upgrading!

I've paid the 50p to secure the offer but I'm not going to push the button to upgrade until a hero comes along with a way of adding custom PoIs to the new app. Shocked
JaTe
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Daddy wrote:
Well no custom PoIs means I'm not upgrading!

I've paid the 50p to secure the offer but I'm not going to push the button to upgrade until a hero comes along with a way of adding custom PoIs to the new app. Shocked

I did upgrade however it all went into a separate folder and the original app is still working, so until they decide to do something that stops the old system, the new one can lay dormant on the h/drive and even then I may default to the Sygic option in preference to this abomination.

In fact having just typed the above I have picked the Nexus up and within the app it says that a new "Place name" has been added, which is basically the PGPSW Fuel POI file that I added earlier this morning into: \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois
The downside is that I now have a list of all the individual suppliers by name and that's it. Tap say Asda and it then generates a list of Asda filling stations in order of distance from my current location. By selecting the nearest one to you the map defaults to the location, however you can then decrease the map magnification and see surrounding Asda stations, but certainly that's all you get - that brand, there is no apparent way of finding purely the nearest filling station because you don't get any Fuel POI's showing in normal map mode. This says to me that it will be the same for our speed cameras and yes you can presumably select one type of camera but not the whole range as at present on the old app.

It is possible that I haven't found everything there is to find and with this new app and in due course some of what I have said above is contradicted - if so, then I can learn as well and I would say Thank You to anyone who can find a way around this problem. A TT forum user is also at this time saying the same thing - you get one option and that 's it Sad
Big_Daddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that John. I've now upgraded and can confirm that the old app carries on working.

You do need space for both sets of map data. The new app is quite helpful in installing itself and its map to the SD card if that has more space than internal storage.
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: POI Icons Reply with quote

I have the POI's working ok as per the above post. Thanks Big-Daddy. Has anyone cracked getting an icon to show on the map rather than a white blob. I have tried png & bnp files used in previous versions in the same directory with no luck.

Regards John
JaTe
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some other problems that may be experienced.

When I installed the app to my Nexus 7 tablet it downloaded a whole series of email addresses as "Contacts". These details are within a spreadsheet on my desktop computer and are only ever circulated as a block to members of another organisation via Gmail, so how did the T.T. programme access that information?

Even worse is the fact that the "Contacts" cannot be deleted as there is no Edit/Delete button within "Contacts" and I cannot find the file that contains the data within the app programme either. This has been raised with T.T. and at this time they have no answer to this breach of data.

The 3rd party POI import situation remains unchanged and even when a file is imported, the icon is the same one as T.T. uses for its own Fuel and Car Parks poi's - just a coloured teardrop (a bit like the one on the PGPSW Submissions map)

The installed Speed Camera data is as bad as ever and comes nowhere near to this database and we have already commented on the limitations of importing 3rd Party poi's, which means the cameras will suffer the same fate.

In my opinion this upgrade is in fact a major step backwards for the sake of cash and they, T.T. have again failed to take into account what the end-users would want.

I would seriously advise anyone considering upgrading to this new format to read the T.T. forums beforehand and get a feel of what the current situation is on what has been raised and then come to an informed decision.

If my original Android T.T. app fails, then it will certainly be bye-bye T.T. and over to the Sygic maps that are already installed. They only need the PGPSW poi's to be added as .rupi's to give me a more reliable option.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: POI Icons Reply with quote

JohnF wrote:
I have the POI's working ok as per the above post. Thanks Big-Daddy. Has anyone cracked getting an icon to show on the map rather than a white blob. I have tried png & bnp files used in previous versions in the same directory with no luck.
Nope stuck at the same point.
I've managed to establish that, on my Nexus 5, the icons shown on the map are stored in "\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\SceneRenderer\icons\xhdpi\pois" with a "unhelpful" name e.g. Airports are ic_map_poi_007.png (64x64). I've tampered with that successfully, adding the red cross to the black plane:
Dropping a PNG for a Personal POI in here doesn't show on the map :-(

I'm a new user of this version, so any input from a user of the previous version would be welcome!

IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
The installed Speed Camera data is as bad as ever and comes nowhere near to this database

I totally agree: I have the TomTom speed camera database showing on the app which is very good as they show up both in the side bar and on the map, so well done TomTom - sadly however, running CamerAlert in the background really highlights just how may cameras as missing from the TomTom database, so it's 9/10 for design but only 4/10 for content. Why on earth TomTom don't use the PGPSW database beats me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: