Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom for Android app moves to subscription model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom for Android app moves to subscription model
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: New TomTom for Android app moves to subscription model Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom have re-launched their Android navigation app with a ground up re-write. The new app shares the same updated interface as their latest GO satnav range but, notably, will now use a subscription payment model where the app is free to download but features such as navigation, real-time traffic and speed cameras will require a subscription to access.

The app comes with 50-miles of navigation, traffic and speed cameras included for free each month, ideal for low milage drivers or to evaluate the app and services. A subscription will cost £14.99 for one year or £34.99 for three years. That compares favourably with the price of the old app. The old app cost £34.99, add on a one year traffic sub at £18.99 and it's not hard to see that this is good value for those who use it a lot.

Existing owners of the Android app have not been forgotten. For 50p they will get a three year subscription, the 50p fee being imposed by Google who have no mechanism for gifting free upgrades to new software like this.

It's a big change for sure. Some will no doubt balk at the subscription model but this new pricing structure makes sense and the inclusion of traffic alerts is a huge bonus.

The new app is now available on Google Play:

TomTom Android - Google Play

Source: www.tomtom.com
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that they are offering what amounts to a free trial!

Previously, there were a number of different Android Apps, "TomTom U.K. & Ireland", "Europe GPS Navigation TomTom", "TomTom Iberia", "TomTom Brazil", etc. depending on which map you wanted. There doesn't seem to be any indication, with the new version, which maps you get. Any ideas?
Will the new version allow the import of POIs?
Will the new version allow the use of the Camera Database to give Alerts?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page throws a little light on the map question!

Quote:
Access to all our maps

Also, existing users can relax, they'll get their 50p back!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
alanlakes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Tomtom U.K. & Ireland app. Updated and was offered 3 maps - U.K. & Ireland, Europe and Western Europe. Picked Western Europe which downloaded. No charges except 98p not 50p.

Have copied PGPSW camera files from "old" app into new apps folder which looks correct as it has same files in it as old app. Cannot see them on map but seem to think you did not on old app until using it under battle conditions.

All is well looking forward to using it.

Alan
iantj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Small touch area? Reply with quote

Based on the screenshot you have to hit the bottom left of screen (very small target) to do anything while driving?

Was that the same on the old android?

I use the iPhone app which lets you whack anywhere. Fairly useful if phone is on a mount. I loathe my wife's go for that reason (amongst others)
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Small touch area? Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
iantj wrote:
Based on the screenshot you have to hit the bottom left of screen (very small target) to do anything while driving?

Was that the same on the old android?

I use the iPhone app which lets you whack anywhere. Fairly useful if phone is on a mount. I loathe my wife's go for that reason (amongst others)

No, just like your iPhone app you could hit the screen anywhere.

You need to hit the little icon in the corner to go into any of the menus, but you can scroll around the map & pinch zoom anywhere else on the screen, which I reckon is a huge improvement. With the old app pinch zoom and scrolling could only be used on a different "View Map" screen which was a pita.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to add POI, and it's impossible to mark a road as closed etc, so if TomTom hasn't marked a closed road (roadworks) as such on the map you will be constantly routed through it, as is happening with 2 major roads close to me Confused
Big_Daddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no custom PoIs means I'm not upgrading!

I've paid the 50p to secure the offer but I'm not going to push the button to upgrade until a hero comes along with a way of adding custom PoIs to the new app. Shocked
Big_Daddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that John. I've now upgraded and can confirm that the old app carries on working.

You do need space for both sets of map data. The new app is quite helpful in installing itself and its map to the SD card if that has more space than internal storage.
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: POI Icons Reply with quote

I have the POI's working ok as per the above post. Thanks Big-Daddy. Has anyone cracked getting an icon to show on the map rather than a white blob. I have tried png & bnp files used in previous versions in the same directory with no luck.

Regards John
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: POI Icons Reply with quote

JohnF wrote:
I have the POI's working ok as per the above post. Thanks Big-Daddy. Has anyone cracked getting an icon to show on the map rather than a white blob. I have tried png & bnp files used in previous versions in the same directory with no luck.
Nope stuck at the same point.
I've managed to establish that, on my Nexus 5, the icons shown on the map are stored in "\Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\SceneRenderer\icons\xhdpi\pois" with a "unhelpful" name e.g. Airports are ic_map_poi_007.png (64x64). I've tampered with that successfully, adding the red cross to the black plane:
Dropping a PNG for a Personal POI in here doesn't show on the map :-(

I'm a new user of this version, so any input from a user of the previous version would be welcome!

IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
The installed Speed Camera data is as bad as ever and comes nowhere near to this database

I totally agree: I have the TomTom speed camera database showing on the app which is very good as they show up both in the side bar and on the map, so well done TomTom - sadly however, running CamerAlert in the background really highlights just how may cameras as missing from the TomTom database, so it's 9/10 for design but only 4/10 for content. Why on earth TomTom don't use the PGPSW database beats me
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

For me it's a No-brainer of a business decision.

Buy a licence to use the PgpsW database, they could then re-write the software to allow 3rd party POI's so that executives and reps and delivery drivers, et al can drive to their clients, etc. This should stem the hemorrhage of TT users looking for these features elsewhere.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying the new TT GO app and am a bit mystified about the POIs. My old Android app is installed on a Samsung Galaxy Note 1 and it's easy to find the right folder on the app to add tourist POIs that I have created on my TT 1000 GO and then transferred to my computer. The new app I've installed on a Moto G phone and when I connect that to my computer I can't find any sign of the TT app even though it IS installed and functioning. And I certainly can't trace anything called \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\files\personal\pois. I've plenty of \Android\data\com.XXXXXXXX files but no tomtom. Anyone have an idea if that is a Moto G problem or a TT GO mobile app problem?
I suppose I could try installing the new one on the Samsung but I'm terrified of losing the old app which I find really suits me, though there are points about the new one I find attractive - both visually and practically.
It looks as if you can't select which POIs are visible in the Map View over the whole map, just those that are real close to your position - in spite of the fact that there is a 'Whole Map" button as well as 'On Route' and 'Near You' button.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Maxdot
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Routes across borders Reply with quote

I've been exploring the new TT GO mobile app for Android a little further and to my astonishment I find that it is impossible to go across downloaded map borders. So the only way it is really usable is to have at least the entire Western Europe download (at 4.8 GB which for many phones is way too stressful) to get from, say, London to Paris or Paris to Geneva. Downloading just France and Germany and expecting to get from Strasbourg to Frankfurt will leave you stranded on the border. Not bad in these Schengen days!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: