Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Real Facts About Motorway Stealth Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Real Facts About Motorway Stealth Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the cut and thrust of this is whether they do enforce NSL without the recommended 10%+2, not whether they are booking people. We know they are.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One sure way to identify this is to see if the vast majority are obeying the limits. If they are then NIP's have been sent out and drivers are aware.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PeteMelbourne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Even though the "10% plus 2" IS only a guideline, I can't see any forces ignoring that. Yes, technically, you could be prosecuted for doing 70.1mph but the first line of defence would be 'well my speedo isn't that accurate' etc.

And then they are going to prosecute you for a having a faulty speedo as well as the speeding - the law requires a speedo to be accurate to within spot-on and +10% therefore at 70mph it must show between 70 and 77. So if you are doing any speed over 70 a legal speedo must show more than 70.

In your hypothetical case it would need to show between 70.1 and 77.11; because speedos do not have that resolution, to comply with the law it would have to display between 71 and 77 as anything else would be outside the legal requirements
nekillim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Front Facing Speed Cameras, Specs, HADECs etc Reply with quote

Why are motorists, and lorry drivers, only being persecuted?

Motorcyclists have no front numberplate, and can speed as much as they like with impunity.

It is like saying we only pursue thieves if they are over 6' 6''!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front Facing Speed Cameras, Specs, HADECs etc Reply with quote

nekillim wrote:
Why are motorists, and lorry drivers, only being persecuted?

HADECS cameras face direction of travel and capture the rear of the vehicle so motorcycles do not escape here.
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Speed Cameras Reply with quote

If speeding is such a problem then why isnt speedometer accuracy part of the MOT. Answer, because they can be enourmously innaccurate & there's no easy way to improve them.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not usually "enormously inaccurate". Usually they are deliberately designed to over read your speed to allow for tyre wear etc. so that they never under read. They always read faster than you are actually travelling, so you can't use that as an excuse.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years now speedo's have over-read by design. Compare your SatNav speed with your car job.

Mine under reads by about 4mph at 70
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristopherW wrote:
LIf these cameras are supposedly going to strictly enforce the NSL at 70 with no margin of error, how many people who waft along at 75-80 mph are going to be stung by this? Wouldn't the subsequent increase in NIPs end up overwhelming the police forces issuing them?

NIPs cost almost nothing for the computer to issue. Cost would only be a factor if we put our foot down and said no to these stealth cameras, and took every case to court.

But of course the vast majority will roll over when the state sponsored extortion letter arrives, saying you can challenge it in court, but at the risk of far higher penalties than just paying up straight away.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

druck wrote:
ChristopherW wrote:
LIf these cameras are supposedly going to strictly enforce the NSL at 70 with no margin of error, how many people who waft along at 75-80 mph are going to be stung by this? Wouldn't the subsequent increase in NIPs end up overwhelming the police forces issuing them?

NIPs cost almost nothing for the computer to issue. Cost would only be a factor if we put our foot down and said no to these stealth cameras, and took every case to court.

But of course the vast majority will roll over when the state sponsored extortion letter arrives, saying you can challenge it in court, but at the risk of far higher penalties than just paying up straight away.
Or just stick to the speed limits. They are the LAW. Not an option. I don't think anyone should be able to escape prosecution on a technicality. I want speeding drivers to be reduced, and if the way to slow them down is to fine them so they think twice the next time, I'm all for that. Last night I travelled 220 miles or so on a mix of roads,at or very close to the appropriate speed limit (using GPS and cruise control). There were more than enough drivers exceeding the speed limit, some by significantly more than the "recommended" allowance. In heavy traffic, I don't feel any allowance should be given as it gets more dangerous then. Indeed, twice cars pulled out without warning in front of us, and once a lorry did so. My DRLs were on, and as dusk fell so were my dipped headlights.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what you have written, I suggest you give serious consideration as whether driving is still a safe course of action for you and other road users.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what your saying is that if you don't speed you shouldn't be on the road.

That's a novel view of it!
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Graham-P
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand to be corrected, but is it not true that most/many car speedometers are set somewhere about 8% high (presumable to cover manufacturers being sued because a speeding motorist relied on the accuracy of the speedometer) so there is really no excuse for getting caught speeding. Just look at the speed shown on your satnav next time your car speedometer says you are doing 70mph.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the issues I have is the drivers that drive at what they think is exactly (or a little below) the speed limit. With the cars inaccurate speedo they could be doing up to 10mph BELOW the speed limit and then proceed to moan about speeders who are actually not breaking the law (actual or ACPO)

Alan
paradad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Speeding Reply with quote

What is speeding? (Cambridge Dictionary says "driving faster than is allowed in a particular area: "
100 mph late at night/early morning should be optional! I have spent most of my working life, driving at speeds from a few miles an hour up to 120 miles per hour, on a regular basis using my own disgression without a problem and up to 165 miles per hour in my private life, also without problem! (I wasn't speeding)
The speed limits in this country are ridiculous, especially when modern cars are so much safer than ever.
I have no problem with speed limits in built up areas, but why do we need 20 mph near schools 24 hours a day?
Why can't we have variable speed limits according to weather conditions?
Raised speed limits on certain motorways would reduce the need for exceeding limits on A and B roads.
I would dearly love to see every motorist drive below the speed limits for a few weeks and then see what happens to the different speed cameras!
The motorist is an easy touch because even the most law abiding motorists sometimes slip up and get punished for even a small increase over the limit.
Look at how many criminals get away with petty crimes, for one reason or another, not the motorist though!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: