Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom on Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom on Android
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: TomTom on Android Reply with quote

Isn't TomTom Navigation available for Android phones? On Google Play, the only search result is TomTom MySports.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.ukireland&hl=en

It seems to be available here but I believe it is being replaced by TomTom Go (I think), but that's only available in Italy at the moment.

I've had TomTom Android since it was released & really couldn't recommend it, the only reason I haven't dumped it is because TomTom traffic is probably the best program of it's kind available. As for the TomTom app itself, amongst it's many negative attributes, it's clunky, temperamental, has great difficulty finding my Contacts, crashes with regular monotony and can be extremely difficult to follow, with the main highlighted route looking very little different from the surrounding roads. I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but the latest version of CoPilot is streets ahead of TomTom.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, I couldn't get on with the Sygic app but the TT suits me well.

Try the Sygic first as I believe they have a free trial period whereas TT don't.

One of my Moto Android phones is not offered the TT app, it is not compatible evidently. But it is offered to my other phones and tablets. If you don't see it in Google Play from your phone, try downloading it from your Gmail account on a PC, it may give you more information.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom on Android Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Isn't TomTom Navigation available for Android phones? On Google Play, the only search result is TomTom MySports.

If your device does not support TomTom for some reason, then it will not be available in Play.
It's still there if you have a suitable device.
timuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Incompatible with Nexus 6 Reply with quote

I've just migrated from a Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6. Alas, TomTom is not compatible with the latter (presumably because of the screen size). Don't really get this, as it seems to work on some tablets. I wish they'd get their act together! Now I have to find another solution while they do.
Tim
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very obvious but search for uk and ireland or europe and they then show on the list
timuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I don't have a problem finding it in the Google Play Store (I had the Western Europe version on my Nexus 5), but it says it's not compatible with my Nexus 6 Crying or Very sad
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: no longer working on Android phones with high resolution Reply with quote

I am not very happy with Tomtom at the minute because although not their fault cannot use andoid tomtom on my new Galaxy S6 edge because of resolution problems and not being able to see the map and as the phone is only used in an emergency when lost, tomtom do not have a solution but suggest putting latest softare on phone and as I am not prepared to buy the latest software from playstore which might work because i have a normal satnav used on long journeys. So having bought tomtom for my old phone and thinking when I upgraded my phone thought it would was compatible only to find out it was not.
I have scoured the internet looking for a solution and there is a consenses that even the lates tomtom from playstore might not be compatable with phones that have a higher resolution for maps provided with the software. so before getting latest tomtom from playstore make sure that its going to work because if it does not work dealing with tomtom customer services and support is going to be difficult going by my past experience with them.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom doesn't work on your phone I'm not sure who's fault it could be other than TomTom's? I thought the resolution issue had been mostly fixed with v1.8, but there are still all sorts of problems and issues with it, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was still the case.

You don't need to buy TomTom Android, you can install and use it for up to 75 km month completely free of charge, which should be enough to establish whether it works. But you also say "having bought TomTom for my old phone" so you should be able to upgrade it to the latest version for (I think) £1 (refundable), provided it was the Android version you bought.

Dealing with TomTom CS had always been very difficult and challenging. Their usual advise is to perform a factory reset and reinstall, which can be a huge & time consuming exercise, and despite doing it on 3 different occasions it's never made the slightest bit of difference to the problems I've experiences with TomTom Android.
stevepit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: TomTom go on Android - Galaxy S6 Edge Reply with quote

I have been using the Tomtom software since it was released on android on various phones over the years and recently have upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S6 Edge.
The software does continue to work and I have had no problems at all - the phone is fast and easily copes with the application running with others - check run in backgrond is turned on.
Android is now version 5.1.1
Tomtom Version 1.8 (1172)
UK and Republic of Ireland Map 960.7053
You can download for free from the Play store to check that all is ok before commiting to pay for the software after 50 miles.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you currently have the older app and paid for it, you can upgrade to the newer version on android for a discount price of 0.50 euro (about 37p atm), so can't see the problem really unless you are not happy about paying this

Direct from Play Store App Information
Quote:
SPECIAL OFFER FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS
The previous TomTom Navigation app for Android is replaced by the new TomTom GO Mobile app. Buyers of the Navigation app can drive with the GO Mobile app for 3 years for only €0.50 (or equivalent price in your local currency). For more information see http://goo.gl/gAHLQj
mrclonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
If you currently have the older app and paid for it, you can upgrade to the newer version on android for a discount price of 0.50 euro (about 37p atm), so can't see the problem really unless you are not happy about paying this

Direct from Play Store App Information
Quote:
SPECIAL OFFER FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS
The previous TomTom Navigation app for Android is replaced by the new TomTom GO Mobile app. Buyers of the Navigation app can drive with the GO Mobile app for 3 years for only €0.50 (or equivalent price in your local currency). For more information see http://goo.gl/gAHLQj

Hi
The 50p upgrade (tomtom Android) is no longer available I'm afraid. With a bit of negotiation I was given a 3 year subscription for the new version a couple of weeks ago. HOWEVER, the newest version no longer supports non-default voices (Ozzy Osborne), which was supported before and the so-called support for custom POIs is not actually that. As suggested by Tomtom tech support I copied the PGPSW OV2s into the correct folder but all the app allows me to do is navigate to a speed camera location and no warnings can be set up for them. I had a slightly bizarre conversation with Tomtom tech support about how useless this is and then downgraded to the previous version which, quite appallingly, is "not supported" - I paid £34 for it not too long ago. I used Tomtom on my Windows mobile 6 or 7 years ago and it was the best by a country mile, but no longer it seems. Also trying out Sygic. I don't know who is in charge of Tomtom smartphone app development, but it seems that basic features which allow a little user customisation have been ignored.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the new TomTom Go for android if I'm being honest. I've used TomTom since an old Windows PDA when I joined this forum. Mine have always been mobile Software Devices. Moved from iPhone last year and was making do with in car Nav but the traffic was woeful so I went back to TomTom.

At first I was a bit miffed there was no straight TomTom product, but this mystical TomTom Go software. As it was 50 miles no charge trial I gave it a go. The traffic was as perfect as I always remembered it so I just bought it there and then. Got the Xmas discount.

2 months on and it's perfectly fine. I've uploaded all my POIs from this site, OK you don't get the pictures but a Grey Circle but they work fine and you can navigate to them.

While the PGPSW camera's was a bit of an issue, you do get the TomTom Speed Cameras as part of the 3 year deal and do you know what, they are not that bad.

Old temporary one linger for a while but TomTom are always asking for confirmation if a camera is still there, so they do keep up to date.

I think the Software as a Service model is fine for TomTom. I will continue to support them and a tenner a year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. When it includes traffic and cameras its a good deal.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....TomTom are always asking for confirmation if a camera is still there, so they do keep up to date
Then why do
Quote:
Old temporary one{s} linger for a while
? Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
.....TomTom are always asking for confirmation if a camera is still there, so they do keep up to date
Then why do
Quote:
Old temporary one{s} linger for a while
? Rolling Eyes
And why don't new ones appear until the roadworks are over (except year long roadworks) and why do year long ones take a year after it's over to remove?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: