Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNavs Blamed For Speeding Drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNavs Blamed For Speeding Drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: SatNavs Blamed For Speeding Drivers Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Following on the heels from yesterday's story about a lorry overturning in a narrow lane that was clearly unsuitable for HGVs, here is yet another story that suggests many drivers overly rely on their satnavs.

Ian Temperton, who is a casualty reduction manager with Norfolk County Council, has claimed that satnavs are responsible for speeding on the A17 near Terrington St Clement. Three people have died on the single carriageway road in recent years.

Temperton says that satnavs report a 70mph speed limit whilst the actual is 60mph.

He adds "Satnavs, while undoubtedly a great boon, are not infallible. They are sometimes inaccurate and won't always have the most up-to-the-minute information on things like new road lay-outs and temporary speed limits."

Representing satnav companies, the general secretary of Intelligent Transport Systems, Jenny Martin, reportedly argued that it was up to the Highways Agency to update the speed limit information.

Source
email icon

UKSNAPPER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Blame the sat nav,again. Reply with quote

Whether you are using a sat nav or a map you use them as secondary aids to the old fashioned Mark one eyeball coupled to the brain.
Its amazing how many people when asked "what sign did we just pass" say they did not even see a sign.
Ultimately its down to the road user to be observant and drive well.
That people get caught speeding and have accidents is testimony to the fact that they fail to do either.
I'm not a perfect road user by a long way but at least can and do read road signs.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Blame the sat nav,again. Reply with quote

UKSNAPPER wrote:
Whether you are using a sat nav or a map you use them as secondary aids to the old fashioned Mark one eyeball coupled to the brain.

+1 Agree! Thumbs Up

Lynn News wrote:
Ian Temperton, a casualty reduction manager with Norfolk County Council, said sat-navs say there is a 70mph limit on the single carriageway A-road. In fact, it is 60mph, the standard limit for a single carriageway road. .

Looking at the map, the PocketGPSWorld camera database shows the following Mobile cameras, all with a 60 mph speed limit:
MOBILE:70635@60
MOBILE:94691@60
MOBILE:53018@60

I've also just run a route demo going from MOBILE:70635 to MOBILE:53018 on the TomTom APP on an iPhone and TomTom showed that the speed limit for that section of the A17 near Terrington St Clement is 60 mph.

I don't know that area, so the problem would appear to be with the drivers themselves for failing to realise from signs and the highway code that the speed limit on a single carriageway A-road is 60 mph and this is made worse by them relying on SatNavs with old or incorrect data.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: SatNavs Blamed For Speeding Drivers Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Three people have died on the single carriageway road in recent years.

Do we know what the relevance of this statement to the rest of the story is?

Is there any evidence that excessive speed (or even speed above the posted speed limit) was the main or a significant causal factor in any of these fatalities?

Or is it just another example of the simple-minded press view that all bad driving is "speeding"?

gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Blame the sat nav,again. Reply with quote

UKSNAPPER wrote:

Ultimately its down to the road user to be observant and drive well.
That people get caught speeding and have accidents is testimony to the fact that they fail to do either.

I disagree that someone speeding is automatically not looking or not driving well.

86mph on a quiet motorway in summer at 9am is better than 25mph beside a large number of people in a build up area.

Secondly, every day I see people speeding at 30-40mph on city streets.

Many motorway accidents are not caused by speed but another factor such as poorly looking when changing lanes, impatience, driving too close or doing something too fast (e.g lane change).

But of course people can argue easily they did none of the above, incl when they kill someone. Such as the "prone to black out" chap who killed 2 people in Glasgow centre in around Dec 2012 and argued he did nothing wrong. Or the drivers who do not want to slow for a cyclist on their side of the road despite on-coming traffic.
UKSNAPPER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Blame the sat nav,again. Reply with quote

Gem said
"I disagree that someone speeding is automatically not looking or not driving well.
86mph on a quiet motorway in summer at 9am is better than 25mph beside a large number of people in a build up area."

I did not phrase my response well enough and I agree with you Gem you are spot on I was trying to make the point that observation is the key to driving safely.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: