Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - travelling through France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

travelling through France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: travelling through France Reply with quote

Hello all. Im new to this forum and I could do with some advice please. I have just bought a mio moov m410 for our travels to Germany. However I've only just realised that france has a hard stance on sat navs that detect speed cameras.
Does anyone know how to change the settings on my device so that it complies with the French law? There are options on the device that switches off all speed camera alerts. But something tells me there's more to it than that.
Many thanks.[/quote]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your Mio already complies with French law. Both Garmin and TomTom did software updates to do so and I can't see Mio being any different. However there is a FAQ here that will help

http://service.mio.com/M0100/F0110_DownLoad_Faq.aspx?bullid=AllBull&faqid=129639
Bob04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I suspect your Mio already complies with French law. Both Garmin and TomTom did software updates to do so and I can't see Mio being any different. However there is a FAQ here that will help

http://service.mio.com/M0100/F0110_DownLoad_Faq.aspx?bullid=AllBull&faqid=129639

Thanks for that. I hear the fines for having a speed camera detecting device is rather steep!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the police can't just stop you to check, you must have been committing an offence, or thought to be doing so, first.

I have the French cameras on a sd card in my nuvi ... easy enough to pop out should I ever be pulled over Smile
bigrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: how can they tell Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Bear in mind that the police can't just stop you to check, you must have been committing an offence, or thought to be doing so, first.

I have the French cameras on a sd card in my nuvi ... easy enough to pop out should I ever be pulled over Smile

I am interested to know what the French police look for to determine if you have a camera alert for their region. If the categories were renamed rather than the obvious Gatso etc then how can the average cop tell what they are?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a category called "Wayside Chapels". ;)

But I'm out of touch on what's what at the moment. I use the PGPSW data on my current car satnav which replaced the useless built-in one that would not allow any modifications and had no built-in warnings. Ran with that for a few years.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so negative but I consider that I am good at my job. I guess that everybody else here thinks likewise, that they are/were good at their jobs also.

So, if you were a French cop, and you pulled somebody over for going through a red light and you used that as an excuse to look at their satnav and it was full of "Wayside Chapels" (or whatever) everywhere you knew there to be a SpeedCamera. Would you just shrug your shoulders and accept it?.

On my trips through France I use two devices, both password/number protected (so that I can turn them off and maintain some degree of control) one on show and without speed cameras, the other hidden, fully loaded and shouting out the alerts and I definitely don't speed or provide any other reason for being stopped (other that having a GB plate and sticker).

Saying that, I was once pulled near Carcasonne just after lunch whilst on my motorbike, . I was stopped at a set of traffic lights and everytime the lights changed from red to green, the police pulled the first five vehicles over for a random check. Out out the five, I was the only one allowed to continue. In the back of one van was a shotgun, two drivers were over the limit, one had a bald tyre and the other had no insurance - so you don't have to be doing something bad to get stopped in France.

edited by AliOh
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
In the back of one van was a shotgun, two drivers were over the limit, one had a bald tyre and the other had no insurance.

OK, give us a clue - what DO you have to be doing to get stopped in France? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being one of the first five in the queue at red traffic lights. Rolling Eyes Ali just told you.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must stop doing subtle.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it makes you think - they are so good they can only catch up with you when you stop at a red light.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: