Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thailandallan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: POI Voice Alert Downloads Reply with quote

This must be the messiest website in the world. I've been round and round looking for the download link for the voice alerts and still haven't found them. All I've seen is a series of broken links - the Garmin link leads nowhere except to the opportunity to download other POIs but no voice. The invitation at the bottom of that page to submit a comment leads to this thread whatever it is about, and there is no obvious way of telling where your comment is going to land.
Well, wherever it is, my comment is simply this: if you cant sort your website out I shan't be staying long as a member. If things are so difficult to find here I'll look elsewhere.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would suggest that you politely ask for help rather than rudely knocking the website. Generally speaking, it's pretty easy to find what you want. Tell us your device and someone will probably help you.
As far as looking elsewhere, you are more than welcome to try to find a speed camera database better than the one from here.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: POI Voice Alert Downloads Reply with quote

Welcome!

Thailandallan wrote:
I've been round and round looking for the download link for the voice alerts and still haven't found them. All I've seen is a series of broken links - the Garmin link leads nowhere except to the opportunity to download other POIs but no voice.
You haven't specified exactly which voice you're trying to download, but I've just downloaded "garmin_andy_speedzoned.zip" by following the Garmin link.
Thailandallan wrote:
The invitation at the bottom of that page to submit a comment leads to this thread whatever it is about, and there is no obvious way of telling where your comment is going to land.
This thread is for leaving comments about that page, so you're in the right place!

However, as it says on that page,
Quote:
Please Note: These files are no longer supported but will continue to be available for download.

Our 'Official Voice Alerts' are now available for download, as an option, via the main speed cameras page.
When you downloaded the Speed Camera Database, did the Voice Pack that you chose not get downloaded? I've just tried downloading the Garmin database, specifying MP3 Voice Pack, (you haven't specified which device, but I chose POILoader) and the resulting zip file included MP3s.

If you can clarify what you are trying to achieve, someone will be able to help you!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a Garmin afficionado I can't be guaranteed to give you the correct info, BUT....

As I understand it, Garmin POIs and sound files have to be handled by POI Loader together as a package, therefore they have to be downloaded together - just my interpretation of the instructions because I'm so dumb I don't try to beat the system by being computer savvy...

So, when you download the cameras, you download the sound files with them. Strange, I can't understand why one might wish to download only the warning sounds on their own Rolling Eyes

Although, I suppose if you really wanted only the voice files, you could try clicking on the words CLICK HERE Question

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Thailandallan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Voice Alert Downloads Reply with quote

To clarify my earlier post I have a Garmin 1340 Nuvi with up to date maps and Speedcam POI's already updated from another source to which I subscribe. For that reason I did not think it necessary to subscribe again to this database. All I wanted was the voice files which I was hoping to patch in to my already edited POI speedcam database. If the only way to get the voice files is to subscribe here then I think I'll call it quits, at least till next year.

With respect to JockTamsonsBairn ability to download one of the voice files I have to say that I cannot see any of these files, either via the Garmin route or the Tom-Tom route let alone attempt to download them - maybe my pop-up blocker is upsetting them although I have switched it off to no avail.
I can download the speed icons etc without problem, and listen to the sample voices (pop-up suppression disabled) but I can see no link to voices. Usually such links are coloured blue and underlined for legibility. It is obvious that the voice download links are not visible to all users for some reason and I repeat my contention that the website is a complete guddle.

It's a sair fecht so I wont take up any more of your valuable time.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice Alert Downloads Reply with quote

Thailandallan wrote:
It is obvious that the voice download links are not visible to all users for some reason
It's likely that the downloads are only available to subscribers! .... Nope, just tried again without logging in! Sorry, I don't know, but the site can't be that bad, if you managed to find your way to the correct download page and were able to ask a question and receive a response! Very Happy

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice Alert Downloads Reply with quote

Thailandallan wrote:
To clarify my earlier post ........

....... I can see no link to voices. Usually such links are coloured blue and underlined for legibility. It is obvious that the voice download links are not visible to all users for some reason and I repeat my contention that the website is a complete guddle.

It's a sair fecht so I wont take up any more of your valuable time.

I have just downloaded the voice file after CLICKING HERE. I used to think all links were blue and underlined, until I discovered in my computer literacy stage that actually they are usually bold, underlined and red. Then they turned out to be black, uppercase, underlined, sans serif and in a red circle with an arrow pointing at them.

Oh, by the way, I did this after first logging out so that I was viewing the website as an unsubscribed visitor trying to get the free downloads, so it's visible to all visitors including you.

So, to clarify my earlier post (at severe risk of being sairer and fechter, whatever illnesses they are, in addition to my being a 75 year old idiot), this is how to read my final paragraph....

And so, to recap, the process is as follows, with the links indicated to clarify...

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could be simpler? Even for you Dennis Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forget - I don't RTFM. Rolling Eyes

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I hadn't. But it seems like you have picked up one or two good things on the way past though.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But If the speedcam POI's are from elsewhere, surely they are not compatible with the PgpsW voices.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cos he doesn't RTFM doesn't mean the guy's not a computing wizard - he can easily adapt them to match cameras he got from elsewhere.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: