Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how can I tell if I have the latest speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how can I tell if I have the latest speed cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: how can I tell if I have the latest speed cameras Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Start 60 which oblviously uses mydrive, I download thw PGPSW camera database weekly but I had thought that the database hadn't been updated as I passed a Truvelo whos speed has been reduced from 50 to 40, I have gone into the submissions page and on there it is 40 but my satnav still says 50, should it overwrite automatically or do I have to remove all the items before reloading the new ones?
how can I check which database is on there?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm doing the same as you, and as far as I know it should overwrite automatically.

If not then we are all using the first data we added to it Embarassed
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is everyone apart from you and I on holiday?
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: how can I tell if I have the latest speed cameras Reply with quote

cliffbrown wrote:
Hi, I have a Start 60 which oblviously uses mydrive, I download thw PGPSW camera database weekly but I had thought that the database hadn't been updated as I passed a Truvelo whos speed has been reduced from 50 to 40, I have gone into the submissions page and on there it is 40 but my satnav still says 50, should it overwrite automatically or do I have to remove all the items before reloading the new ones?
how can I check which database is on there?

I have often wondered the same about the updates. I use MyDrive and IE 11 to update a TT1005 and I always get a message stating that the files are "already there and do I want to replace them", which of course I do. Fortunately I live in an area that has no fixed cameras and few mobile sites, but I have noticed some new sites in the area from time to time, so I assume that the updates do overwrite the old data. I can't remember PGPSW ever giving me false information except when there has been a new site outside of my normal area. And I'm always late in recording them as I'm usually on a break and with no instant access to my laptop.
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there must be a delay from what is on the submissions page and what you download,
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the download should reflect the submission map, unless what you're looking at on the submission map is waiting to be verified. Can you give the camera number?
As far as being able to see the files on the device, I believe that this is impossible on newer models.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camara ID 5425 on A61, Stretton
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell how recently it was changed on the map, but on my TT940, it's showing as 40.
Looking at the download on my PC, it was in the latest pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2 which I downloaded on 31/07/14. And on 10/06/14. And on 27/03/14. And on 19/02/14. But not on 03/01/14.
So the speed for the camera changed between 03/01/14 and 19/02/14.

I'd suggest removing ALL the pocketgps_uk* files and reloading them!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's very difficult to tell whether the files have updated, maybe the Database Admin would consider changing the copyright notice to include the date?

cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update mine every week as I use it for work so I rely on it being up to date!!!!!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MyDrive to update my Via 135 every week, and that camera's showing correctly as 40mph for me. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
If it's very difficult to tell whether the files have updated, maybe the Database Admin would consider changing the copyright notice to include the date?

Something like this from release.txt?

PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Version 12.084 (27 Aug 14)

Copyright PocketGPSWorld.com
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Please enlighten me how that would help. Am I being thick? (It has been known in the past). Unless the copyright message is visible on your TT, then how would having the date in the (c) file help? The file date of the downloaded file would give the date that you downloaded it.
What appears to be happening here is that the cameras are not being updated on his TT. Unless of course he is pointing his MyDrive at the wrong downloaded file(s). Or is MyDrive (or the user) possibly missing one (or more) of the files for some reason or other thus leaving old data for that particular set of cameras? Or is the OP downloading the latest data then 'pointing' MyDrive at an old set? (I don't know how MyDrive works, so is this a possibility?)
It seems to me that what would possibly work is a dummy camera somewhere innocuous with the database version/date coded as its ID such as ID 20140925 for 25 Sep 2014. This would put it well out of the range of the current real camera IDs.

What might be am interesting test is to make up a completely empty set of cams, load 'them' and see if there are any cams left on the device. This will ensure that the 'latest'cams are being loaded by MyDrive and that MyDrive is being 'pointed' at the right data set. (Which, without trying to be contentious, I feel is the most likely cause of the problem)
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!! wiped the lot off reinstalled seems to be correct now. Just have to reset all the alerts etc, but whats to say the next time I download it wont be overwritten?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffbrown wrote:
I update mine every week as I use it for work so I rely on it being up to date!!!!!!

It's strange that my updates seem to work while yours don't.

How do you update them?

Although I've been told you can upload the zip file without extracting the files first I always extract the files and then just select the ov2 files for My Drive to update.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: