Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom MyDrive stalling when installing updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom MyDrive stalling when installing updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom MyDrive stalling when installing updates Reply with quote

I had a mapshare update to install, it downloaded to computer but them when installing to TomTom it just seems to have frozen - it says it should take 20 seconds but no...

Is this a common problem? imo Home was much better.
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Even a simple QuickGPSfix update can take 10 minutes to apply, despite the estimate of 20 seconds.

I'm currently trying to update the map, which is an awful task. It inevitably fails with a "something has gone wrong"error which ends up with me having a device with no map, so I am committed to the update process. Currently 41% in, which is good, as the previous 10 attempts have failed at 4-10%. This has required:
    Multiple reboots of the TomTom GoLive 1005
    Reboot of the PC
    Turning off firewall and antivirus
    Disconnecting PC from internet (after the map has downloaded)
    Rebooting PC again
    Nearly 3 hours of messing around
    Resisting the urge to "update" the TomTom with a hammer

Oooh! It says it is done! MyDrive now says that "We are having technical problems", but the map has installed, so who cares.

I have used TomTom devices for many years, but I don't think I can stand it any longer. Next time I want a device that I can mount as a drive and copy maps into the folder structure, not mess around with MyDrive.
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a problem with MyDrive. The mapshare updates show as ready to download then after they are installed, they show as available for download again. This is a never ending cycle. TomTom are aware but they have yet to sort it out.
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikero wrote:
This is a never ending cycle. TomTom are aware but they have yet to sort it out.

I think it is a ploy so you have to keep going into MyDrive and viewing the adverts. Smile

I keep falling for it, though!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just serves you all right for updating GPSFix and MapShare. I 'update' my 1005 when there's a Q in the month. Not quite true, but I update when I know I don't want the rubbishy thing for a couple of days so that it can sit and fiddle while Rome burns!

And how about the Statement of the Year, by the OP...

imo Home was much better

Now it really shows the state of TomTom when we have people saying Home was better, doesn't it? Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Now it really shows the state of TomTom when we have people saying Home was better, doesn't it? Rolling Eyes

Where's that "Like" button? Cool

I have several TomToms t oupdate and I have had to abandon using my destop to do it because MyDrive/MyTomTom is so awful at recognising the TomToms and KEEPING them recognised.

For some reason, it works much better on my ancient, steam-driven laptop, but due to my daughter eating all my network cables at college, I can only connect the laptop via wifi. That means every update is god-awful slow and the harddrive is so tiny I have to move stuff off it to get a single map downloaded.

I hate MyDrive with a passion!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I don't put the PGPSW cameras on my 1005 - I download and install them to my GO520 and cook and eat a full English breakfast during the time the 1005 takes to get and install GPSFix and MapShare corrections Rolling Eyes - I don't even have time during the camera download to get MyDrive to recognise the 1005. I don't even have (I don't even WANT) a second cable for the 1005 to computer - I have to fetch it out of the van.

Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.................. and this is assuming that you do not get a message about technical issues with a hidden suggestion that you foxtrot oscar and stop bothering TT about silly little things like updates!! Doh.

I did wonder why 20 second updates took SOOOOOO long.
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyDrive has been "downloading content to my computer" for 9.5 hours now, and says it is 51% complete. Is this normal?
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Of course, I don't put the PGPSW cameras on my 1005 - I download and install them to my GO520 and cook and eat a full English breakfast during the time the 1005 takes to get and install GPSFix and MapShare corrections Rolling Eyes - I don't even have time during the camera download to get MyDrive to recognise the 1005. I don't even have (I don't even WANT) a second cable for the 1005 to computer - I have to fetch it out of the van.

Dennis
I'm at a loss to understand why it takes you so long to update PGPSW cameras to your 1005. It takes me a matter of seconds. It is by far the quickest updating procedure I ever carry out on the TT. I agree that TT camera updates are lengthy, but perhaps like you I don't bother with them very often and as you have said previously GPSFix updates when you switch on the TT and get a signal.
I use IE11 on a i5 laptop and it is very quick indeed. Mind you I only copy across the OV2 files and from an unzipped folder, if that makes any difference.

I've just downloaded and installed PGPSW cameras to my 1005 and it took less than 20secs. I then Downloaded and installed 2 updates from TT, full European cameras and GPSFix to test the time necessary to install on the 1005. Total time 10mins 23secs. Now yes I do have a fairly fast and fairly new (2years old) Core i5 laptop and yes I do keep it clean of all of the extraneous crap that pcs collect. But I'm no IT techy, so I don't have any magical ability to make my pc go any faster than anyone else's.

I guess it must be down to the speed of individual pcs.

Alan
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Dennis just has one massive frying-pan and eats really quickly? Neutral
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah! I have a 27" iMac with loads of cores and piles of hertzes like you wouldn't believe, and my broad band is over 100 whatsernames.

It is simply that the GO1005 is a pile of poo. I've been downloading the PGPSW camera database since 2005, no bother, no sitting around fiddling while Rome burns. The DB downloads and installs on my GO 520 and my GO 550 like a dream - that's how I know the difference.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: