Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed updating software/maps for OEM Navigation GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed updating software/maps for OEM Navigation GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathykate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Help needed updating software/maps for OEM Navigation GPS Reply with quote

I have a retro fitted navigation unit fitted into my car (OEM Navigation GPS). My husband bought it, even though I was quite happy (and probably preferred) the old stick on the dashboard one! So, it was bought via Amazon from Germany, and it works fine. Here is a link to the item
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touchscreen-Player-Navigation-Bluetooth-Handsfree/dp/B00AA2583M/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408029013&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=BMW+X3+E83+S100+OEM+DVD+GPS+Navigation+Multimedia+System

Lately has been throwing messages about the maps being out of date. I contacted the person we bought it from and he said he would give me an update for free and sent me a download link. I’ve put it on a different card, put it in the unit and reset the gps path fine, but it’s not loading. It starts to load, then I get this:

‘Unsupported voice, please see the log.’

‘Fatal error occurred in the main thread
Address: 0x0002c2f0
Exception: 0x0000005’

‘The application failed to start last time. Do you want to reset to factory defaults and lose all your POIs tracks and settings.’

For the last message, if I press YES, it makes no difference, still fails to load.

Regarding the unsupported voice, how do I narrow it down as to which it is, and can I then just take it out of the content/voice folder? Could I switch in the old voices, which I know worked? And while I’m on the subject, can I ditch all the other voices and just keep the English ones which I might use?.

OLD MAP / software was
IGO myway Primo Navi Europe

NEW MAP /software is
Primo EURO

Can anyone point me in the right directions as to what to do? I’ve had a search around and can’t pinpoint what is wrong.

I’ve taken a look at the maps in both old and new and the new ones are dated october 2013, the olds one are mostly July 2013. The other idea I has was to just move the new maps into the old maps folder, and use the old software with new maps, is that even possible?

I’m pretty handy around a Mac, but this stuff all appears to be Windows stuff so I just don’t know what I’m meant to be doing with it. Would love to get this working. Cheers for getting this far.
Kate

Last edited by kathykate on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the new maps in the CONTENT\MAP folder to the same folder on your working copy of iGO. Your working copy will just use the new maps. If you don't have room, then delete the old ones but make a copy first.
The new card sounds like Primo 2.4 which protests if you have the wrong Text to Speech voice installed.
Come back if that does not work.
kathykate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Copy the new maps in the CONTENT\MAP folder to the same folder on your working copy of iGO. Your working copy will just use the new maps. If you don't have room, then delete the old ones but make a copy first.
The new card sounds like Primo 2.4 which protests if you have the wrong Text to Speech voice installed.
Come back if that does not work.

Yes that seems to work! Thanks!
How do I check which version of iGo Primo I'm using? I have IGO.exe file in the folder, but don't think I can open that on a Mac. Can I update to the newest version, or should I just leave well alone?

And for future reference, can I switch in any .fbl map file?

And to go back to my earlier question: can I delete all the superfluous voices and just leave the English ones?
Regards
Kate
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the program on the satnav device. It's then Menu ~ Settings ~ About or something similar as the exact location of the About screen depends on the skin. The map dates are in amongst that lot somewhere as well.
The first(is) versions of Primo still had iGO8 as its executable, but in actual fact, you can call it pretty much what you like, Unless you have done clever things in the sys.txt.

What exactly do you mean by "Can I switch in any .fbl file"?

Non UK voices? Yes, just delete them.
It would make this thread easier to read if you edited out the sys.txt and .log file stuff out of your first post.

If you want to play with the one that does not work, either copy the sys.txt from the working one to the non working one (after making backup copies of course) or add the following to the non working sys.txt

[interface]
show_exit=1
extra_settings=1
resolution_dir="800_480"
kathykate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will take a look on the device and see if I can work out what version I have.

All I meant by 'can I switch in any .fbl file' was this: I thought all the map files ended in .fbl so thought if in future I just download a map from somewhere, I can copy that into the map folder. Having taken a closer look I see that some of the maps are .fpa and others are .fda. For United Kingdom I have 3 different maps, one of each kind! Do they all work as a whole to make up one map of UK?

I was going to have a fiddle with the new maps using the original software it came with to see if I can get it to work, it will help me understand it, and its on a separate card and I have backups on the computer so no harm to be done. I will try your suggestions.

Thanks for help, and I've edited out the first message as you suggested.[/img]
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. The actual maps are the .fbl files and that's the minimum you need.
Google is your friend:
Quote:
FDA= used in conjunction with Navteq maps (must be of the same release date) gives warnings like Railroad Crossing, Pedestrian Crossing, Slippery Road, etc--flashing the corresponding icon on the map screen--assuming such warnings are enabled.
FTR = Bridge Heights and other information that is useful to a trucker.
All such files go into the same folder(s) as the maps they are intended to be used with.

Maps fbl *\content\map\
- Junction View fjv
*\content\map\
- Fotorealistic Junction View fjw *\content\map\
- Proximity Alerts, Pointing address, Adress points fpa *\content\map\
- Warnings, Driver alerts fda *\content\map\
- Speed profiles fsp *\content\map\
- Truck restrictions, Information for Trucks ftr *\content\map\
- Programmed Road hnr *\content\map\
- Points of Interest poi *\content\poi\
- 3D Buildings 3dc *\content\building\
- 3D Landmarks 3dl *\content\building\
- Digital Elevation Model, represents the terrain surface dem *\content\dem\
- Historical speed (Navteq maps only) hsp *\content\histspeed\
- Radars txt *\content\speedcam\
- Regional Voice Corrections, Reporting street names pronunciation ph(r) *\content\phoneme\
- Custom Points of Interest kml *\content\userdata\poi\
The driver alerts are those popups such as road narrows, school etc. You should only have one of each type of map .fbl .fda etc. per country. If you have (say) two .fbl map files, iGO will chose the most up to date to use and the others are just cluttering up your device.
If you get updated maps, you can just replace the ones that are already in your CONTENT\MAP folder, you may of course choose to make a backup of the old maps first unless you have already done so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: