Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Potential new user! Data charges?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential new user! Data charges?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakesy999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Potential new user! Data charges? Reply with quote

Hi all

I am seriously considering downloading and taking out a subscription for my i-phone/i-pad. I just wanted to know: when driving with the app activated, does it use data up on the iphone/pad? Or can I download latest cameras on wi-fi first and then drive without it eating up my data allowance?

Sorry if this is a very basic question or if it's been answered before but I did a search and couldn't find a thread..!

Thanks,

Smile
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera database is on the phone so there will be no data charges for that. You can download the database on Wifi.

Having said that, if you display the maps, they are downloaded on the fly so will incur data charges.

So basically speaking,

In the background (even with maps) = no data,
In the foreground with no maps = no data,
in the foreground with maps displayed = using data allowance.
jakesy999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The camera database is on the phone so there will be no data charges for that. You can download the database on Wifi.

Having said that, if you display the maps, they are downloaded on the fly so will incur data charges.

So basically speaking,

In the background (even with maps) = no data,
In the foreground with no maps = no data,
in the foreground with maps displayed = using data allowance.

Thanks so much. Almost seems to good to be true! Will get on and download it asap!
jakesy999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: iphone/bluetooth Reply with quote

Hello all,

Possibly another simple question from me. I am really interested and want to subscribe and download the app to my iphone. However it occurred to me that when my phone is in the car and I'm listening to normal radio or a CD (so i.e. not listening to anything through the phone) then I don't hear alerts on the phone such as text message alerts or emails etc.

If I download and use this amazing app on my i-phone, how do I hear the camera alert? Do I have to disconnect the phone from bluetooth in order to be able to hear alerts as I drive along? Do I have to rely on just the visual alert?

Thanks in advance,
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could keep your hands free connected but turn off the the bluetooth music on the stereo?

The other option is to try the (slightly experimental) handsfree mode whereby the audio is sent to your handsfree as though it was a call - i.e. your current cd/radio would be muted and the sound would come through.

See the manual, part 6 b ii for info on Audio Routing: http://www.cameralert.com/manual/ios

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What nobody has told you so far is that the App is FREE, downloaded from the App store, complete with the very latest update of the camera database. You can therefore try it to your heart's content, free, for nothing and even Gratis. It is not time constrained - i.e. it will not refuse to work if you don't subscribe within a time limit, you just won't get up to date database increments.

You will NOT be able to get any updates until you subscribe, after which you can update every day if you wish, by simply making a couple of taps on icons within the App.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
smithrc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on you car kit... - In my 2012 VW Passat - the bluetooth was great - phone alerts played over the top of the stereo - just dipping the main volume a bit so you could hear the alerts (eg text message or in this case the camera alerts)...

Having done too many miles in the Passat - I got swapped into an Octavia with the aftermarket blackberry kit that a lot of manufactures use... and that turns off the stereo and plays the alerts... and then leaves the stereo muted for about 5 second too long after the alert.... only to then mute it again to give you the all clear :-/

I've taken to listening to podcasts or iPhone music so hat it plays the alerts over that without bit pauses... the cameralert app also allows you to turn the app volume down - so you can set it to alert you quietly in the back ground...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: