Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I've Just Updated From Go 700 to XXL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I've Just Updated From Go 700 to XXL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: I've Just Updated From Go 700 to XXL Reply with quote

Well, as my 700 is increasingly suffering from a satellite fix and now then does a pirouette, especially if any tress are nearby, I thought I should do something about it soon, before it was too late
It was essential to me that I can do custom POI's and view alter files via the Laptop. So, after some research on what can do these and where to get it from, I finally decoded on an XXL Classic, UK & Eire, from Tesco Direct
I collected it from my local store and the very first thing I did was do a PC back up straight from the box. Whilst I had it connected to the laptop, I noticed something that surprised me, it has a 3.6 GB harddrive Shocked I was fairly sure it only had a 2GB. And as it only had UK & Eire on it only about 400 odd MB was in use.
This had v915 installed but also has the 30 day map update thing, so when I got Home up, I was offered the latest v930 map right away. But, I had a conundrum, I still had the map update service on my 700 current, so what to do ? start another account and keep just UK and Eire or sadly abandon the 700 maps and swap to my XXL
Anyway, I swapped my account to my XXl and the full EU map was installed, painfully slowly I might add.
The good thing I think is I copied and pasted a lot of voices, POI's etc straight onto the XXL Cool thankfully. and Mapsettings CFG. The only thing I did have to do was resize the POI bmp file from 22 square to 24 square to display properly
Shame it hasn't got remote control, am going to miss that. Do any TomToms have remote control anymore ??
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No current TomTom models have remote control.
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused That somehow doesn't surprise me Rolling Eyes
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Quiet on here, was expecting more comments

Dennis ??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything particular you want us to comment on? Laughing

Sounds like you've done very well!

I'm rather surprised by what you say about the memory capacity... the XXL (IQ Routes) certainly only had 2GB of flash memory, but TomTom have done some odd things in the past when they have re-released "Classic" models, they aren't always exactly the same as the original model. 3.5GB sounds VERY strange though, I would have thought it would always be 2GB or 4GB.

I'm also rather surprised that you managed to swap the map update service from the old GO so easily. I thought that usually involved begging to customer services and having to convince them it needed to be moved over because the old unit had been stolen or something similar.

As for download speed, AFAIK, all the XL and XXL models only used USB1 chips, so the transfer rate is painfully slow compared to USB2. But having said that, I would have thought your old GO would have been USB1 as well
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, so far I am quite pleased with the XXL, it is surprisingly similar to my 700, in menu, features etc, well the ones I actually need most.
It says it is an XXL Classic Series, UK & Eire, it does have IQ Routes too though
3.6 GB Andy, One time, Home installed the full EU map and a separate UK & Eire map at the same time, but strangely, didn't install v930 Postcodes, so I pinched them from the 700 too. Then took the UK map off, thinking it maybe confusing itself
When, I first connected to Home, there was the option, to start another account for the XXL, which would mean, no further map updates, but my 700 would continue its map update service, or swap my map update service to the XXL. I thought, it would be hassle to try to swap the account later on, so be best to do it there and then
I don't know why, but updating the XXL seemed to take a lot longer than it does with the 700, my 700 isn't that slow, whether thats because of the Lexar 800x CF 8GB harddrive, its got in it, I don't know
Just hope the XXL lasts as long as my 700 has, seems unlikely, seen tales of early failure. Certainly like the big screen and quick sat fix

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: