Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Redflex HADECS speed cameras now live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Redflex HADECS speed cameras now live
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Redflex HADECS speed cameras now live Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A new type of speed camera recently went live after receiving Home Office approval.

The Redflex HADECS is a gantry mounted digital speed camera that is being deployed on our motorways where variable speed limits are operated. A single camera is able to monitor up-to five active lanes of traffic including those sections of motorway where a hard shoulder can also be used as a live lane.

Dual radars are used to measure speed and data is transmitted digitally. These rear facing cameras are far more discrete than we are used to, looking more like a CCTV installation than a traditional speed camera.

We've already had reports that these cameras, installed between junctions 5 and 6 on the M25 are now flashing away and capturing hundreds of motorists unaware.

email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Presumably soon to be expanded right up to the M4.

These would be very welcome as no one keeps to the variable limits and as a result causes unnecessary jams.

I remember back in 2004/5 when they widened the western section and had working 40 mph cameras. No jams at all.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that picture what the new cameras actually look like? And they are still on the gantries, not on top of the new large sign boards?

It just I was on that section the other day, trying to work out which of the various cameras on the side of the road/on top of message signs/on poles were the new HADECS ones.
ultimate
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these on the database? if so what is an example camera number? for the junction 5-6 ones
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not officially announced, not painted yellow !

Now if that isn't designed to be a cash cow and not a 'safety camera' them I'm foxed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SpeedCamerasWork
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Speeders Reply with quote

There are not a cash cow, these catch those who BREAK the law i.e. drive Faster than the Speed limit !!!

If you drive at the correct speed what do you have to worry about
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenR21373 wrote:
Is that picture what the new cameras actually look like? And they are still on the gantries, not on top of the new large sign boards?

It just I was on that section the other day, trying to work out which of the various cameras on the side of the road/on top of message signs/on poles were the new HADECS ones.

There are two sets of HADECS on the M25 J5-J6, they are on both carriageways, clockwise and anticlockwise and look just like the picture attached. Each set (for both carriageways) are about a mile before and after Clackett Lane services. When approaching an overhead gantry you can see them mounted half way up on the left handside supporting leg of the overhead gantry.

Not entirely sure if anybody has received a penalty notice yet, but they are certainly flashing a lot! Laughing
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if at the moment they are being trialled and therefore set at a relatively low speed? Not that I'm prepared to try out that theory Laughing
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: May be another one... Reply with quote

There is a camera underneath one of the overhead gantries on the northern section of the M25 around J24-25 that looks a lot like this. One camera, mounted very much to one side and not over the lanes, flashing merrily away.

I wonder what leeway, if any is built-in to these little gadgets? They are VERY hard to spot! I only noticed it flashing on the other carriageway as I was going toward it...
w/ Interphone BT headset on a Honda Blackbird (should change this really - the bike, not the headset)
diver99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one of these cameras has been installed on the M1 NB just before J8 before the A414 arrives. It is above the hard shoulder and has been flashing away intermittently for a good few months.
Bulldozer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set on the top section of the M25 between jcts 23 and 25 are also now active. I saw the one between jct 23 and 24 (first gantry after the A1M jct with the M25) flashing away on Tuesday morning and that was without the 'variable' limits in operation i.e. no reduced speed limit indicated.

There are several of these HADECS cameras along that stretch and to be honest, they are easier to see than the older ones mounted behind signs over each lane on other parts of the M25 where the variable limits operate. The HADECS are mounted on a 6ft (or so) long platform, which is sticking out to the side of the gantry in clear view. They are half way up the nearside structures of the overhead gantry.
Ian_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the speed cameras on the M25 were not legal yet?

i..e. they have never had approval to actually issue fines.

So even though they flash nobody has ever been charged,
OEC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Government contract dealing with a dodgy company !

See http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-23/news/ct-redflex-red-light-bribery-20140123_1_redflex-holdings-ltd-company-policy-camera-company

Why are there not more questions from those who implicitly support devices that lessen the quality of life for lots of generally law abiding citizens?
Nthkentman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: HADECS on M25 Reply with quote

When I pointed these little bu**ers out to the PocketGPS world team a few days ago I had already watched several times the flashes going off repetitively. I drive that stretch many times a week and have watched with interest what they are set at.

They mirror the speed warnings on the variable section and have no need to be programmed by attendance of anyone either. Unsure of the tolerance above each limit though. There are HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE gantry mounted warning signs on the approaches to the gantries that have these devices installed.
There is NO necessity for them to be painted *any* particular colour, nor a necessity for the road marking associated with other types of cash generators on the roads.

There is a lengthy detailed answer to a request using the FOI act by someone at whatdotheyknow.com. This also gives information on other aspects of design and usage. Worst of all the system is live online and doesn't need any attention by anyone to collect evidence. It's transmitted to a central control and they automagically issue the tickets.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenR21373 wrote:

The image in the opening post is of the actual cameras. They are installed on the far left of the gantries. You can see a better image of them in a PistonHeads post here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1401269

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: