Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce New GO SatNav Range
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce New GO SatNav Range
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thezerocool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting to see assumptions that because I think the database is good enough, in fact comparable or better, its automatically the case that I would have no experience for comparison therefore opinion is null and void. The phrases "trust me" and "living in a fantasy world" are simply ignorance. If your opinion isn't the same as others devaluing "their" statement is the right way to go around things, try strengthening your own argument instead.

I have experience of TomTom, Garmin, Road Angel and PGPSW, so if somebody can tell me, without a stigmatic view of a new device with changes, exactly what service is the best then I would be interested to hear. As of the services I have listed above I find none to be perfect and TomTom to be the most satisfactory.

Lets start talking fact.... I did have 9 points on my licence. The PGPSW database has good fixed data but drove me bonkers with constant false alerts for mobiles and devalued the times it got it right. The Garmin didn't have a clue where most of the cameras were, the Road Angel was good but expensive and the TomTom was good and inexpensive. Heres the fact..... with pocketgps database I built up 9 points (up to 2009 and retried briefly in 2012).... since using TomTom database I have gone down to 0 points and am no longer plagued with false reports. Yes it makes mistakes but it doesn't claim perfect more than any other provider.

For those stuck in the old days you will find it easy to take a dislike to the new products, but if you can open your mind a little you will find it better, faster, more concise and a time saver. Yes there is a loss from some of the features from the last season of product but that happens in all consumer electronics and your "living in a fantasy world" if you don't recognise this is the path to improving.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thezerocool wrote:
Lets start talking fact....
.... with pocketgps database I built up 9 points (up to 2009 and retried briefly in 2012).... since using TomTom database I have gone down to 0 points

Yes there is a loss from some of the features from the last season of product but that happens in all consumer electronics and your "living in a fantasy world" if you don't recognise this is the path to improving.

OK - facts...
First, I wrote about THREE features, Search, Cameras and POIs, but you only discuss cameras. Well, using pgpsw database since 2005, I have nil points. However, I would consider that's down to my driving below the speed limit and maybe your reduction to nil points has been a case of you learning your lesson and doing the same? I hope so. Incidentally, did your 9 points come from fixed or mobile cameras? Pure guesswork on my part (although the visibility and fixed nature of fixed cameras suggests more than guesswork) that they came from mobiles - complaining of supposed false mobiles seems a bit of a giggle. What's a false mobile anyway? Get a warning there's a mobile round the next bend and when you get there no mobile is on station?

My experience is from driving over half a million miles under the pgpsw camera database. Add to that my experience for a few recent years of running several TomTom devices beside each other. That has meant I could compare the reporting by TomTom with the reporting by pgpsw. I consider that pgpsw database is more accurate than TT, based on having both displayed side by side simultaneously for several years, when in my experience I have seen many instances where pgpsw database is correct when TT is not and I have seen no instances where TT database is accurate when pgpsw is not. Added to that, I commented about the type of warnings - TT being a simple beep, whereas pgpsw offers me both the type and speed for every camera. I consider the pgpsw warnings far more valuable (they can even serve as a reminder of the speed limit if you have forgotten or are ignoring it). That's what I call facts and answers your request to be told which service is the best. I hardly need mention the additional benefit of cost - that one subscription to pgpsw can be used for up to three devices in the same household (and that includes different brands, e.g. TomTom, Garmin, Sygic, iPhone, Android etc, etc).

I did originally give my opinion of the new TT Search feature and the lack of user input POIs - could you provide any facts on these to compare with mine?

In the quote above, I have highlighted your comments about the path to improvement. Sorry, but the previous, unimproved models did what served me in respect of the Search and POIs. They no longer do so and I find it seriously inconvenient. A search of this and other forums will bring you to finding these are very much condemned improvements amongst former TomTom fans. I fail to see how reducing features actually improves the devices. If your car's performance was reduced by 50%, or to being incapable of reaching 60mph, would you agree that's a path to improvement? If it was reduced to three gears, or if all cars were changed to automatic gearboxes, or all automatic gearboxes were discontinued, would those be paths to improvement?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of the current range of Tomtom's allow you to install the PGPS Camera database and your own "homemade" POI's ?

If the answer is negative I will seriously think about purchasing a second TT1005 as a spare as I have become too reliant on the SatNav since first owning a TT GO 700 back in 2006.

Tomtom, What is your bloody problem not offering top range gear with all the bells and whistles when there are people prepared to pay a premium price !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
Do any of the current range of Tomtom's allow you to install the PGPS Camera database and your own "homemade" POI's ?

If by "current range" you mean the GO500/5000/600/6000 (and the new GO40/50/60 then no, so far they don't.
The "Rider" (primarily for motorbikes) and the "GO LIVECamper and Caravan" (based on the GO1005) are still available and they DO accept user-POIs etc.

PaulWH wrote:
If the answer is negative I will seriously think about purchasing a second TT1005 as a spare as I have become too reliant on the SatNav since first owning a TT GO 700 back in 2006.

A lot of people would agree with you

PaulWH wrote:
Tomtom, What is your bloody problem not offering top range gear with all the bells and whistles when there are people prepared to pay a premium price !

That's the question of the century.... TomTom seem to completely ignore the wants and wishes of their existing client base who WANT to update their devices and remain brand-loyal, but who have a reasonable expectation to not be fobbed off with a much reduced/inferior feature list.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, what about the Via and Start things on the TT website?

PS - after being encouraged by something said by M8TJT, here's a selfie of me and my brand new £66, 7 inch Chinese thingy. Sadly, that's also the manual which is 32 pages long in 6 point font, translated from Chinese by a consortium of sub-continent call centre operators. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: