Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 4.30 Firmware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

4.30 Firmware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
A gps knows where you are but - until you start to move it has no idea which way you are facing. So it cannot give you cogent instructions until you start. This is made worse if in avoidances you have banned u-turns. I guess that TT may ignore that and correct it if you set off iIMHO

TT remembers your last direction of travel when turned off & when turned on, providing you have not moved, it will calculate the route based on this direction. It can be fooled, if for example one has spun round into a parking space.

garmin also remembers your last direction of travel, this is evident by the little blue car pointing in the last direction of travel. The routing sw though, totally ignores this (unlike TT) and will often make the start of the journey a little away from your current position hence 'drive to start of the route' announcement.

I know this is a garmin forum, so peeps will be very protective of their chosen manufacturer, however I use sat-nav for multi-hops all day every day & I can tell you garmin is pants compared to TT routing.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:

I know this is a garmin forum, so peeps will be very protective of their chosen manufacturer, however I use sat-nav for multi-hops all day every day & I can tell you garmin is pants compared to TT routing.

Not everyone agrees Wink

xtraseller wrote:

Other than that, with the new update, latest maps, fastest routes selected, I get almost identical routes most of the time to my TomTom Go 6000 - which is a first since the TomTom has ALWAYS been better at route choice

Not particularly protective about Garmin and there are areas where it could be improved, but I frequent quite a few forums and I would say there are just as many complaints about TT as Garmins Smile

Guess at the end of the day it's what you're more comfortable with, and it's often a steep learning curve moving from one brand to another. I certainly wouldn't swap my Garmin for a TT, particularly now Garmin has digital traffic which I've found to be pretty much 100% accurate.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the new Digital Traffic compares well with TomToms for live traffic and better for roadworks, etc.

Starting off (ie. location of satellites, direction of travel, etc.) is MUCH quicker on TomTom
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be very quick then or something isn't right with your Garmin ... mine switches and locks on immediately provided it's kept on standby Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine hard wired so it turns off and on with ignition power.

My experience is that when it auto powers up with the ignition it starts on the main 2 large icon screen for about 2 or 3 minutes then the map screen kicks in.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the start up (that's almost instant from standby) but the time to find satellites (I have a 3598 which is a little more form over function perhaps and its seem slower to find them than my 2517 for instance, perhaps a weaker GPS chip or the aluminium shell affecting the unit), and then the way it "expects" you to find the road IT has routed you from (which is often just a stones throw away from you, but not always directly accessible)

Its not a major problem but an annoyance

The missing direction at roundabouts is ALWAYS there - it is when you come off at a, for example, motorway junction on to a roundabout (very regular occurrence) it will say, for example "Take exit 24 on the left then enter the roundabout" not "take exit 24 on the left then the 3rd exit at the roundabout")

Now that is a major problem
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I have mine hard wired so it turns off and on with ignition power.

My experience is that when it auto powers up with the ignition it starts on the main 2 large icon screen for about 2 or 3 minutes then the map screen kicks in.

Unfortunately that requires a cold, rather than warm, start Crying or Very sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The missing direction at roundabouts is ALWAYS there - it is when you come off at a, for example, motorway junction on to a roundabout (very regular occurrence) it will say, for example "Take exit 24 on the left then enter the roundabout" not "take exit 24 on the left then the 3rd exit at the roundabout")

Now that is a major problem

But don't you then get an instruction for the roundabout? Which junction is this happening at as I'll check it out and report it back to Garmin.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every junction - on every Garmin

Its not that once on the slip road it then doesn't say the exit - it does - but by that point I am at the roundabout, more often than not in the wrong lane!

They just need to remove the instruction "enter the roundabout" for its available list (it is pointless, there is no where else to go) and move straight on to the second turn

This only happens in two stage instruction sets
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, motorway roundabout junctions could be more clearly instructed.
Regularly I am on the exit slip heading up to the roundabout, but as I have not been told which exit from the roundabout, have no idea which lane to be in. M23 junction 10 is a classic example of this. I also notice that on the same, but winding road, garmin will keep saying turn left or turn right, when in fact it is the same road but when it wants me to turn off this road onto a side road which is straight on, it says nothing. My TT go just keeps quiet, only piping up when I actually have to make a turn off of the road.

Interesting article on this forum about TT being ten years old. The most interesting part being about how TT have dumbed down their products for the mass thickie market. It is a shame they still do not the old style full functionality on the high end devices.

back to the topic of 4.3 firmware,
No grey screen to report yet, but have not been in bad weather conditions with plenty or road incidents yet, which is where the problem is most noticeable.

Keyboard entry is still really slow, often a pressed key not responding for a second or two, then the letter popping up. For example, turned on today, in the same spot I had turned it off & used the categories to find my next destination, a railway station. The keyboard was sluggish beyond belief. I guess it was trying to multitask between my inputs and finding the satellites.

Selecting the icon to go home, there is still no option to select routes as you get with other destination selections.

I have of course given my feedback to garmin on the many shortcomings of the 3598. However as yet have never had a reply.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Every junction - on every Garmin

Its not that once on the slip road it then doesn't say the exit - it does - but by that point I am at the roundabout, more often than not in the wrong lane!

They just need to remove the instruction "enter the roundabout" for its available list (it is pointless, there is no where else to go) and move straight on to the second turn

This only happens in two stage instruction sets

OK, I get what you're saying now, although I must say it's never given me an issue. If I'm exiting onto a slip road I tend to glance at the screen as that tells me which way to go once I hit the roundabout, but also find I get the instruction and tell tale top left the second I'm on the slip road.

You could try making the suggestion here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

If Garmin get enough requests for the same thing they do listen and make changes.

Of course not every exit leads to a roundabout, so that may be why the instruction is there so as to let you know there is one. I agree though that it's really not required.

Last edited by sussamb on Fri May 09, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is every exit. Its not really a problem unless there is more than one lane leading into the roundabout. Would this be due to the fact it is a US product as roundabouts are a bit of a novelty (or used to be!).
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had both tomtom and garmin devices and they both have their good and bad points.

I like the interface on the Garmin and the digital traffic is brilliant compared to TomTom.

Also the build for the Garmin seems to be off higher quality - doesn't feel or look plastic like the TomToms.

Even with the issues I've had on the 3598 I don't think I could go back to a TomTom device.
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my nuvi 3598 today, it's all up to date maps and software. It's painfully bad I was out for about 6 hours and it grey screened 4 times and one was so bad it completely went grey. Also when searching for a address it seems to be very slow, I'm going to return it as I think the hardware is letting the performance down, it's a shame as the display is great and so many other pluses. My first Garmin as we'll gutted was hoping it was the dogs nuts .
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 25x7/8 series, no issues with them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: