Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 825 - PGPS - Speed Camera Alerts hit & miss
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 825 - PGPS - Speed Camera Alerts hit & miss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrenjuggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 825 - PGPS - Speed Camera Alerts hit & miss Reply with quote

Hi All,

Since updating to my latest map and software build I've had a mixed bag of results with the PGPS Speed Camera warning.

It seems to be really sluggish, the Icons seem to stay on too long and sometimes, even though it's set to 550 yards, it tells you about the camera as you've already arrived or past it....

Very strange indeed - as it's the 825 it's not like my old 920, where I could just wipe and restore from back up.

The navigation works fine, but it's frustrating about the Speed Camera alerts as I now can't trust it to show me them or alert me in time.

fortunately for me I like the speed limits, but it's more for the variable speed camera on the motorways or the ones that just pop up out of know where when you round a bend.

Just thought i'd put the question out there to see if it's just me or anyone else experienced a similar bug.

thanks in anticipation.

Kindest Regards
Darren Juggins
darrenjuggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just me thats having issues then ?

I've been out again today and the symbols are showing up but the warning are sometimes working, but as you are on top of the camera or fail to work at all ?

Kindest Regards
Darren
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been reported in the past that if you have too many POIs showing on the map that this slows stuff down. I just can't remember whether it was TT or not.

Edit: Try searching for Slow POIs. It's all there and it is TT.
darrenjuggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers... I'll go take a look, thank you...
lenAitken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: speed camera warnings Reply with quote

I have a Tom Tom Truck pro 5150 with exactly the same symptons and can confirm that reducing the number of visible poi s has no effect. I have only noticed this problem since the last map update in February 2014. I have a horrible feeling that Tom Tom have changed the firmware so third party poi s do not work correctly thus forcing you to use their database for cameras. The problem is that their database is totally useless.

Len
darrenjuggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback Len, even with the latest 9.3 map update, it's still hit and miss.

A tad frustrating.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's general lack of computer power that causes this.

Each new map is bigger and SOMETHING about them seems to sap a little bit more speed out of older systems on every update.
Also, newer versions of software were not tweaked or honed as extensively to get every last bit of efficiency out of them.

Having said that, my GO940 and GO1005 models still manage to give sensible early warnings for the PGPSW cameras.

All I can suggest is a re-boot, remove any unnecessary POIs from the display, and maybe use a recorded voice rather than a text-to-speech one.

Alternatively, have you just tried increasing the warning DISTANCES for every camera type in the POI settings?

One day I'm going to try reverting one of my old faithful models back to it's "day one" software and maps and PROVE to myself how much snappier they were originally, before all the software "upgrades" took their toll.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: