Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple unveil CarPlay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple unveil CarPlay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Apple unveil CarPlay Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Apple has unveiled CarPlay which will feature in a forthcoming update to iOS7. CarPlay is being sold by Apple as their 'iPhone In the Car' solution and, in partnership with participating vehicle manufacturers will connect the iPhone with the in-dash display and steering wheel controls.

Supported apps will be available via the in-dash touch-screen and a dedicated button for Siri will allow for voice control. Supported apps include Music, Messages, Maps and Phone. Also supported are Podcasts, Beats Music, iHeartRadio, Spotify and Stitcher with more being announced soon.

Only iPhones that support the lightning connector will be supported so, currently, that means iPhone 5, 5C and 5S only.

The first manufacturers on-board are Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo who will have models available with CarPlay in 2014. Other manufacturers committed to supporting CarPlat are BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota.

Source: www.apple.com

Last edited by Darren on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Apple unveil CarPlay Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Also supported are Podcasts, Beats Music, iHeartRadio, Spotify and Snitcher with more being announced soon.

I'm glad to see that Apple have chosen to include their new Road Safety app, for reporting the bad behaviour of other road users!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God that Renault aren't listed - I can't imagine how my in-car Renault system could get any worse, but I suppose this would be it!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting snippet of information is that Apple partnered with BlackBerry and their QNX in-dash software platform for this.

It's an initially surprising move but one that makes a lot of sense when you look at it more closely. Blackberry have had a lot of success with QNX, it's already being incorporated into a number of manufacturers vehicles and allows any handset manufacturer who partners with BlackBerry to access the in-dash display.

BlackBerry's Paul Leroux said:
Quote:
Connectivity to smartphones and other mobile devices is a key strength of QNX Software Systems' platform for car infotainment systems, and many automakers and tier one automotive suppliers use our platform to implement smartphone/head-unit integration in their vehicles. We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay.

st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does look excellent for us iPhone users. Shame I've just ordered a Lexus that comes with the shoddy "Mirrorlink" system. A few old Nokia devices and the rest are all Androids that support it. I guess this is the reason Apple never joined the Mirrorlink group as they were developing their own.

Hopefully the system will be perfect when I come to my next car in 3 years Laughing Out Loud Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

st1967 wrote:
Hopefully the system will be perfect when I come to my next car in 3 years Laughing Out Loud Laughing
If they're anything like TT, they will have stripped out a lot of useful features by then. Laughing
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if we want to connect an iPhone to the car, we have to take it out and connect it by lightning cable. So to get a decent GPS signal where will it sit? Probably in the glovebox or the centre console. The old 30 pin connector lasted about, what, 5 years? What happens when Apple spring the next connector on us? What a shame that bluetooth or wifi couldn't be employed. Seems like another opportunity for me to accidentally leave my phone in the car.

Still, it's better than most other solutions, though I've been impressed with Nissan's Connect system that gives you access to your contacts and music on a touchscreen. I still prefer to keep a TomTom for its usability and live traffic.

Of all the manufacturers listed it's interesting and rather disappointing to see that the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/Porsche/Bentley group aren't amongst them. Wonder what they've got up their sleeve. Probably nothing. They're terribly behind the curve with connectivity IMHO.

My Passat has got Bluetooth built in. I can play music or take calls but that's it. No voice recognition, no easy finding of a contact other than scrolling though thousands of names! There's no interaction with the phone as such. It's easier to take it out and use the screen (parked of course!). The only solution the dealer could offer is the VW badged (and crippled by VW's own firmware) version of the THB Bury CC9060 Music.

I wonder when we can expect to see some aftermarket solutions coming through?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
So if we want to connect an iPhone to the car, we have to take it out and connect it by lightning cable. So to get a decent GPS signal where will it sit? Probably in the glovebox or the centre console. The old 30 pin connector lasted about, what, 5 years? What happens when Apple spring the next connector on us? What a shame that bluetooth or wifi couldn't be employed. Seems like another opportunity for me to accidentally leave my phone in the car.

The 30-pin connector has been with us for 13 years and was well overdue for an update. It was clunky, easily damaged and many of the pins were no longer used. But it really doesn't matter what the cable is, if/when it changes you buy a new cable, the connection will be USB at the car end, it won't be hard wired. Bluetooth isn't a great option when using GPS, battery drain is to great and the car provides the ideal opportunity to grab a charge but Apple have said they hope to offer Bluetooth connectivity in due course. And GPS is more than sensitive enough to function buried in a glovebox these days.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

The 30-pin connector has been with us for 13 years and was well overdue for an update. It was clunky, easily damaged and many of the pins were no longer used. But it really doesn't matter what the cable is, if/when it changes you buy a new cable, the connection will be USB at the car end, it won't be hard wired. Bluetooth isn't a great option when using GPS, battery drain is to great and the car provides the ideal opportunity to grab a charge but Apple have said they hope to offer Bluetooth connectivity in due course. And GPS is more than sensitive enough to function buried in a glovebox these days.

Thanks Darren. Wow, time flies. I was thinking of the iPhone (though realised even that was 2007) but had forgotten about the iPod preceding. Good news about the interchangeable cables. Do you know if Android might come too? That would make a huge difference to the take up as it's the biggest platform. Please excuse my cynicism, no sooner had I got my iPhone dock ready in my car, then Apple introduced a new connector. And as soon as I'd got new cables and adapters, then Apple brought in iOS 7 which told me most of them were unauthorised. Thank heavens the USB standard is being used.

This might actually move me to investing in a mapping app on my iPhone. Question is, will the CamerAlert work with this?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
Do you know if Android might come too?

That's the million dollar question.
Quote:
This might actually move me to investing in a mapping app on my iPhone. Question is, will the CamerAlert work with this?

Until it's launched we cannot say. Given Apple's attitude at the moment, who knows if CamerAlert will survive on iOS at all Crying or Very sad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple unveil CarPlay Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
...... Also supported are Podcasts, Beats Music, iHeartRadio, Spotify and Snitcher......
Being an Android Guy I've not heard of Snitcher and Google doesn't shine any light either. If it's what it sounds like, could that be why Apple are making it difficult for CamerAlert at the moment? and if it is, I guess you wont be able to say anyway?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a typo, it's Stitcher, a Podcast Radio app

Stitcher for iOS
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkeyDokey, Thanks for the correction. It's not so sinister as I was thinking it was then?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: