Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 500 - suitable phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 500 - suitable phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 500 - suitable phone Reply with quote

Alas my 825 started to get a dodgy screen two weeks from the expiry of the guarantee (fortunately before renewal of Live Services), and all praise to Halfords, they exchanged it for a new Tom Tom 500. Nice screen. better sound but no bluetooth for phone calls, no adding of POI's AND to get the live traffic service I need to connect it to my phone. Now I discover my Smartphone is a bit long in the tooth and I need something with version 4.0 or later.
Not wanting to spend a fortune I was thinking of either a Samsung S3 mini which does have the bluetooth tethering setting or a Moto-G which has the latest version of Android - but the setting isn't mentioned in their manuals. Leaning towards the Moto G, has anyone tried it with a Tom Tom 400, 500 or 600.
Despite the nice screen I really do miss the feature set on the 825 and if I was starting out from somewhere else I'd just buy a decent smartphone and use Tom Tom for Android and CamerAlert. Seeing the cheap prices at Tom Tom might just do that anyway.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if anything here helps:

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That's a very out of date list of phones. In theory anything with Android 4.0 or later should be OK but it also needs to be able to share the phone's internet connection via Bluetooth - this was where my old phone fell down as it can only create a wi-fi hotspot.
I know Samsung and HTC phones do it on Android 4.1 - unless Android are like Tom Tom and take useful features away I'd expect it still to be in the latest version as used in the Moto G but it would be good if anyone here coudl say for sure.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff on Android BT sharing here
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Moto-G and answered my own question - it does have bluetooth tethering so pairs and obtains live traffic via the phone.
But if after journey to work is over to save the battery during the day I stop bluetooth on the phone, when it's home time and I switch it back on again the Tom Tom doesn't remake the connection - I have to enter the Tom Tom menus - find my paired phone and re-connect it. Not quite as automatic as the Tom Tom manual suggests. Makes it a real PIA to use as I can waste 5 minutes getting it ready to go.
Don't know what other peoples experiences are like with this?

STOP PRESS
someone in the office has told me that's what Bluetooth does. Solution is not to turn bluetooth off then it connects rapidly and gets the traffic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: