Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fixed Speed Cameras Return To The West Midlands
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed Speed Cameras Return To The West Midlands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Fixed Speed Cameras Return To The West Midlands Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Older style fixed speed cameras, which relied on film, were switched off in the West Midlands last March.

Now police have announced that the cameras will be back, but this time they'll be digital.

Digital speed cameras are a less expensive and more efficient way of bringing speeding motorists to book as they offer remote access to the information captured.

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: "Exploratory work is underway to assess the viability of deploying new digital fixed speed cameras in Birmingham and Solihull. The potential running costs for West Midlands Police are still to be confirmed but it is unlikely that they will be fully covered by the income generated from the resulting speed awareness courses and this will be a consideration when assessing the potential viability of the project."

305 speed and traffic cameras were mothballed across the region last year, but it is not clear how many will be activated if the trial is rolled out in October.

Source
email icon

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by no means the first instance of (possible?) resurrection of switched off cameras.

In my travels, I have seen very little evidence of switched off cameras (e.g. missing cameras when my CamerAlert warns of the existence of one). So for a considerable period of time, camera BOXES have been getting the benefit of zero cost maintenance whilst continuing to influence speeding traffic (if you KNOW of a switched off camera, do you go through there hell for leather or slow down just in case some rotten B has switched it on again?).

From which postulation, I derive the conclusion that speed cameras are cash cows, simply because they are to be switched on again in order to generate income - cameras have always generated income because some motorists have speeding built into their very nature and switching them on again will once again generate income.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by no means the first instance of (possible?) resurrection of switched off cameras.

In my travels, I have seen very little evidence of switched off cameras (e.g. missing camera boxes when my CamerAlert warns of the existence of one). So for a considerable period of time, camera BOXES have been getting the benefit of zero cost maintenance whilst continuing to influence speeding traffic (if you KNOW of a switched off camera, do you go through there hell for leather or slow down just in case some rotten B has switched it on again?).

From which postulation, I derive the conclusion that speed cameras are cash cows, simply because they are to be switched on again in order to generate income - cameras have always generated income because some motorists have speeding built into their very nature and switching them on again will once again generate income.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice double post there. Very Happy

Yep, I agree they're nothing but money makers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: