Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 70mph Speed Cameras to be deployed on Motorways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

70mph Speed Cameras to be deployed on Motorways
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: 70mph Speed Cameras to be deployed on Motorways Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Speed cameras are to be installed on two sections of the M25 to catch motorists exceeding the 70mph limit.

This is the first time that speed cameras have been deployed on UK motorways to enforce the national speed limit, previously they were used only on variable speed limit stretches and road works.

The cameras are being deployed to improve traffic flow and to allow the hard shoulder to be used as an extra lane.

A stretch of the M1 in South Yorkshire has also been identified as a location for the installation of 70mph speed cameras.

This news comes in the same week as it was revealed that the government is proposing a 60mph limit for a 32-mile stretch of the M1 that would apply between 7am and 7pm, seven days a week.

email icon

peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: motorway speed cams Reply with quote

They are being implemented to make money, not to "improve traffic flow". Time to buy a 2CV
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The cameras are being deployed to improve traffic flow and to allow the hard shoulder to be used as an extra lane.
How on earth is it relevant? You can only exceed 70MPH when the M/way is relatively clear anyway and how on earth will having cams make it safe to 'allow the hard shoulder to be used as an extra lane'
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
How on earth is it relevant? You can only exceed 70MPH when the M/way is relatively clear anyway and how on earth will having cams make it safe to 'allow the hard shoulder to be used as an extra lane'

Simple: it's not. As a retired civil engineer with some 40+ years in the design and construction of highways I can confirm that the use of cameras will at best ease traffic flow in the same way as they do, on occaisions, on the very busiest of our motorways. However, it will in no way make the use of hard shoulders safe. The whole purpose of these was to to provide a relatively safe location for motorists to use when they had any problem with their vehicle. I have stood in public inquiries defending the compulsory purchase of land in order to provide the space for hard shoulders. All land in a CPO must be essential for the purpose of constructing or mitigating the environmental effects of the scheme. Now some financial wizz kid straight out of university in the treasury comes up with an idea that we can save money by using the existing hard shoulders for increased capacity. Heaven help the next engineer who stands up in a public inquiry trying to defend land in a CPO on the grounds of safety for the need for hard shoulders. Any barrister worth his salt will take him to the cleaners.
Plus on a safety view, who amongst us will feel happy when we next have a puncture to stop in the "slow" lane with 44 tonne trucks bearing down on us at 56 mph, or in lane 2 or is that the old lane 1 when the truck pulls into that lane to avoid the broken down vehicle sitting in the slow lane. I have followed the progress of these so called managed motorway schemes and to date every emergancy service organisation has raised objections on the grounds of safety. The reponse: The HA will be able to control traffic flow by the use of matrix signals as they have full camera coverage of all managed motorways". Oh yes and how many times do we find inaccurate information on the marix signals? An how may drivers therefore ignore the message?

Thank heavans that I am now retired and don't need to travel the motorway network on a daily basis or defend the HA's daft ideas anymore.
Loobyloo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they get flagged up on the database promptly Exclamation
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving in circles around the M25 now in the hope of geting a years subscription Laughing
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loobyloo wrote:
I hope they get flagged up on the database promptly Exclamation

Due to the sheer number of people who use the M25, I would expect that any camera on the M25 would be reported within hours by one if not more subscribers to the PGPSW camera database.

So as the National Lottery says "It could be you ... ".

sussamb wrote:
Driving in circles around the M25 now in the hope of geting a years subscription Laughing

Yes, if you wish to do that then please feel free to do so! Thumbs Up

So good luck to all of our subscribers out there! Very Happy
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunty1948:

As another retired civil engineer with some 40+ years in the design and construction of highways I agree completely with your views and those of Nic Fasci on the AROnline website who wrote comprehensively about the 60mph limit on the M1 recently. I wish Philip Hammond was still the Transport Minister, I haven't a clue who the headcase is now!

jack.
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: M1 Speed Camera Reply with quote

As someone who drives on that part of the M1 which will get speed cameras... good luck finding a time when you can do over 70, perhaps in the middle of the day !
CountZero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this different to the ones already in use on the M62 then?
stanwhite_snr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Motorway cameras? Reply with quote

And another thing, I don't suppose we will see REGULAR cleaning of a hard shoulder that is OCCASIONALLY used as an extra lane.

The amount of debris on a hard shoulder means that I would not wish to travel on, or near it.

Coming from one who HAS been injured as a result of debris in the road, which was spat out from under a car wheel, and cut my leg, through my motorcycle boot.....

And don't get me started on the "yellow savings banks".....

Regards,

Stan
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: 70mph Speed Cameras to be deployed on Motorways Reply with quote

They have had these cameras on the M11 inbound for many years now and they work perfectly, slowing the traffic down to 50mph just at the camera! It's about time we had average speed cameras on all our roads to stop the madness of drivers doing more than the speed limit and then braking suddenly when they spot a camera
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust the southerners to try steal this as a first - it's old news for the M62...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759

For what it's worth, my journey time from Huddersfield to Leeds has reduced significantly since the Managed Motorways scheme was switched on, so something about it is working.
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteJohn:

Madness? Who's mad here? I certainly don't want to live in a country that has madness like you are suggesting!

Have you got any more bright ideas for controlling everyone?

Can I go out tonight with your permission?

jack.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a tad harsh ...

You going out is legal ... you don't need 'permission'

Speeding on the other hand is illegal ...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: