Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost mains charger - seeking suitable alternative
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost mains charger - seeking suitable alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Lost mains charger - seeking suitable alternative Reply with quote

Help please. I have lost the mains charger for my satmap. The li-ion battery is the normal one not the lower powered slim version.

I am seeking a replacement and need to know the satmap chargers rating as I understand it is important to get one with the correct votage and amps rating (whatever that is)

Has any got a non satmap charger that they could suggest I purchase. On the satmap site it is only available as part of a bundle and I don't want to spend that much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mains-Charger-for-Satmap-Active-10-Active10-/260691347011
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warning from Satmap about only using one of their chargers is a bit disingenuous in my opinion. It's a standard micro USB connector, which means that the voltage and current ratings MUST adhere to the USB standard (particularly as you are meant to be able to plug the Active 10 into any USB port on a computer).
Just for your peace of mind, my original Satmap charger is marked with the following information:

-Switching power supply
-5V 1000mA (5VA) output.

This matches any "high power" USB charger that meets the official USB spec.
(A low power 500mA charger would work as well, just take longer to charge your Satmap)
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:

Just for your peace of mind, my original Satmap charger is marked with the following information:

-Switching power supply
-5V 1000mA (5VA) output.

(A low power 500mA charger would work as well, just take longer to charge your Satmap)

Thanks for the information. The fact that it is 1000mA is interesting. I went into my location Maplins and I told them that the battery was rated as 2700mAh. They said I needed a 2700mA charger and theirs only went up to 2100mA and that would not be enough to do the job. Perhaps it will do the job and it is currently on offer for only £1 more than the 1000mA one

I assume the higher rating means it will charge quicker am I correct or are there disadvantages to faster charging?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostme wrote:
I told them that the battery was rated as 2700mAh. They said I needed a 2700mA charger and theirs only went up to 2100mA and that would not be enough to do the job.
Their first statement is 100% wrong. Their second statement is 100% wrong as well. The battery capacity is NOT the charge current. The device takes as much current as it needs. Note the word 'takes' . It is NOT the power supply forcing current into the device (unless the voltage output is increased), it is the device taking the current from the PSU. Your device will run with a 1000ma charger as that was the current rating of the original, which proves the sales monkey wrong.
It is a common fallacy that buying a higher capacity charger will charge a device a lot quicker: it won't. The device takes as much current as it needs providing the PSU can supply it.
If you could shove 2700ma up your device (but it will not allow you to do that) it would fully charge from flat in about 1.5 hours, but you can't.
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:

-Switching power supply
-5V 1000mA (5VA) output.

Interesting. My original Satmap charger is rated at only 600mA (5v). It is model SAW03-05.0-600DTC.

Chris
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:
Interesting. My original Satmap charger is rated at only 600mA (5v).
Like I said, the device only takes as much as it wants (unless limited by the max current of the charger). If the OEM was 600ma, then the device will take no more than 600ma, otherwise the manufacturer would have supplied a higher capacity charger.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My A10 charges fine from what I suspect is a 500ma USB hub (certainly won't put out enough to charge an iPad). It takes a while, but then I usually leave it on overnight to charge after using it for 4 - 6 hours.

Many years ago I asked Satmap why the charging icon didn't show when it was full and was told to just leave it on overnight and it will be fine.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT is right; the Maplin assistant was talking nonsense. A device will attempt to draw the current it needs from the supply and no more; either the supply is capable of providing it (if it's rated at or above the current trying to be drawn) or it isn't (i.e. the device wants to draw more current than the supply is capable of providing.) In the latter case, the device will draw the maximum current the supply can give, and charging will take a bit longer, but it will still work.

I don't know what the charging current of the LiIon battery in the Active10 is, but I assume it's higher than 500mA because it takes longer to charge my A10 from a standard 500mA PC USB port than it does from the 1000mA charger that came with it. (The model number on my Satmap charger is SM-ACT10-01700)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: