Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Home Backup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Home Backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Home Backup Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone advise if this works properly these days please? (obviously with the latest Home Version)

I've been a Tom Tom user since the early days and have always used Windows Explorer (My Computer) to do a full back in the past (with "Show Hidden Files" set, as early versions of Home were either unreliable or did not work.

I like the idea of Home's incremental backups, but need the assurance that they work OK.

My thanks as always for any advice.

Pinkpanther
PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Two backups better Reply with quote

I don't use TTHome as my old TT only has USB1.0 so it's painfully slow. Hence I do your trick of using explorer to copy (all!) the files to my PC. So here's what I suggest you do to test the app - first backup your device the Windows explorer way, then via TTHome, then wipe the device and restore from TTHome backup. You can then evaluate the success (or otherwise!) of the auto backup app without the risk of losing data.
It's a good idea to also backup your backup in case of disaster. Use Dropbox or Copy or Box to sync an online backup of your Windows Explorer TTdata so you're doubly covered.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home Backup Reply with quote

Pinkpanther wrote:
I like the idea of Home's incremental backups, but need the assurance that they work OK.

I have to confess I haven't heard of this - incremental. The main reason we always shied away from Home backups was that it only did one and overwrote the existing one with the latest one (plus, of course, its propensity to only backup part of the device). Doing it with Explorer enabled us to do multiple backups with the passage of time (I always used the date and model number for each new backup directory/folder and I have zillions going back years!).

TBH with TomTom's performance at "improving" their products, I seriously doubt that they have overcome the dodgy backup process. The latest I have seen from TomTom themselves was to backup using Explorer!

Of course, that is not available for their even "improved-er" latest models which are invisible to Explorer! Owners of these models have to close their eyes and think of England, hoping the backup works. It is alleged that server-based control obviates the need for user backups. Flying oink springs to mind!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN

Well I decided to try it, having taken an Explorer backup first!
I then did a backup using Home and it did take a while as expected. I then created a couple of test POI's and ran Home Backup again. It completed in a matter of a couple of seconds, so the incremental bit seems to work OK.

I have a number of good solid Explorer backups which I'll retain for security purposes and in the mean time continue to use Home Backup until I find the deliberate error! It certainly saves a lot of time.

Cheers,

Pinkpanther
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked whether you still have the first Home backup? Or did it replace it with the later one with additional POIs? If it replaced the original and has a corrupt later one, you're stuck with a corrupt one.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN,

I must confess that I haven't tried a restore yet, but I will probably try when I find the time.

In the meantime I'll keep my secure Explorer backups as security and continue to use Home Backup until I either, Test or "need" to restore.

In fairness, these days it's only my POI's that change on a weekly basis, so I'm covered using the above strategy. I;ll probably also do full Explorer backups, but on a less regular basis.

Cheers,

Pinkpanther

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: