Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat nav advice please-need best traffic only
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat nav advice please-need best traffic only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremiah3099
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Sat nav advice please-need best traffic only Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Sorry to be making a "which sat nav should I get" thread but hopefully this one won't be difficult as I have simple needs.

Currently I am using google maps and am forever selecting the "alternative route" button to find quickest routes (usually on local journeys) because they show me traffic issues and I can usually cut a third off the journey time.

I have heard that tom toms have the best traffic info and I have researched websites to show that some models constantly scan for and attempt to avoid traffic jams throughout the journey and update the route dynamically. This sounds too good to be true.

I guess this and Western maps are the only two features i need.

I don't need fancy stuff like mp3 players or bluetooth or hd screens or facebook integration (honestly??).

Could you guys please let me know from your experience which models have the best traffic?

Thanks guys.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Garmin user my only advice would be to go for a satnav with digital traffic, I've noticed a considerably improvement since switching to a new Garmin with digital traffic when compared to my older Garmin that didn't have it.

You'd probably therefore want the 2548 LMT-D ... no BT etc but with Western Europe maps http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/garmin/nuvi-2597-lmt.htm?gclid=CLa8gJSU5LsCFY3LtAodcAsAVw

It will auto reroute to avoid traffic if you set it to do so.
Jeremiah3099
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input.

I'm really pushed against garmin for my needs due to the majority of posts I am reading. Example here: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-400-500-600-5000-6000-MyDrive/Tomtom-HD-Traffic-vs-Garmin-Digital-Traffic/m-p/677058#M6521 stating that independant tests show Tomtom to come out on top for traffic.

Between the tom tom devices, this thread states that the GO1005 does things that the new models can't: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-400-500-600-5000-6000-MyDrive/Avoid-traffic-function/td-p/610436

I wanted to know what advice I could get from your personal experiences.

Thanks.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is possible that garmin traffic is catching up with (if not already caught up with) TT traffic.

The trouble is not many people run two satnavs side by side to compare.

It is true that you can do more with a 1005 than you can with the latest TT models. But if all you really want is to get from A to B in Europe with traffic, I reckon that it just comes down to what lifetime packages you get included for the price.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've found a test site that prefers TT. The Which? magazine performed a test in the last issue and Garmin came out first, second and third.

I reckon TT and Garmin are watching each other closely and there's probably not much in it.

Same as cars. Each mag has it's own favourites. Allegedly it all depends on who pays most to advertise within the mag Laughing
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Jeremiah3099
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I think that it is possible that garmin traffic is catching up with (if not already caught up with) TT traffic.

The trouble is not many people run two satnavs side by side to compare.

It is true that you can do more with a 1005 than you can with the latest TT models. But if all you really want is to get from A to B in Europe with traffic, I reckon that it just comes down to what lifetime packages you get included for the price.

While it is true that I really only want to get tfrom A to B with traffic, I'm going to be spending at least £100 and fr that, I want the best traffic SYSTEM money can buy. If that means I have to shell out £200 for a 1005 then so be it, but what I mean is I do not want a mid-range traffic system, I want the BEST traffic system. a low or mid-range DEVICE with the best Traffic SYSTEM is acceptable.

Are there any other devices with the same traffic functionality as the 1005?

I'm aware of the 740 and the 1000. Any others?

Thanks again.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about recent developments, but presumably you have read the stuff about the TT traffic horizon? It was set to about 40 mins of travel time, but I'm certain that someone who knows about these things will enlarge on this for you. Not sure whether Garmin devices have the same sort of limitations or not.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like, as I posted, that the Garmin 2548 LMT-D would suit your needs.

I've not used TT traffic but the Garmin digital traffic is extremely quick at reporting problems. As an example I was called out the other night and it even had temporary night time works showing close to my house that were only there for one night.

Garmin traffic also covers the whole route AFAIK, so no '40 minute horizon' Wink
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly certain that the tt traffic is the same data across all tt Pnd's. It may be different between the smartphone apps and pnd's but you may have to wait for others to confirm this.

I'm on my phone at the moment but if you check other recent topics in this forum you shall find a link to www.satnav-discounts.co.uk and a matrix of features which you can filter to help you decide a short list of suitable satnavs models which suit your needs.

Edit, the above link works so no need to search previous posts.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Go825 may be worth considering. Traffic is free for 1 year then payable thereafter so it may not be such a bargain in the long run.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of considerations for you.

First, there seem to be two main manufacturers, Garmin and TomTom (others will disagree and add more to the list!!). Of those two, TomTom seems to be the highest rated for Traffic in relation to its HD Traffic System.

Personally, I have used TomToms since I bought my first one (with absolutely no prior research) in 2005. I like them. I have used others and hated all of them. I hated the Garmin for two things - the GUI was in my opinion very poor - mapping display looked like it was drawn for a comic book and second I disliked the way it warned me of "foreign" whenever I got within 10 or 15 miles of Wales (living near Bristol, this was a daily "feature"!). That was a long time ago and I have no recent experience of Garmins, so maybe they are wonderful now.

Second consideration is Traffic. How good is it? Ideally, the system will report traffic and offer to guide you round it. So accuracy of the information is critical.

Consider, how many times have you seen those little collapsible blue signs at the roadside, saying "Police, Slow", or the overhead matrixes on the motorway saying "Slow Debris/pedestrians/animals/incident" and further along your journey come to the conclusion that there is nothing there? That means there's often a delay between an incident clearing and the sign being removed. Same applies to these satnav traffic reporting systems, so you might divert to avoid something which disappeared two hours ago! Of course, you also get stuck in the traffic jam caused before the incident is reported and passed on to you.

Traffic is great when it's accurate, a PITA when it's not. So really, buying for the Traffic service is not always a good criterion and I would certainly suggest it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

A few months ago, I was using THREE TomToms in my van side by side - A PND GO520 with RDS-TMC Traffic antenna trailed round the windscreen, a built in TomTom Renault Carminat with RDS-TMC Traffic and a GO550 Live, with HD Traffic. From time to time, ALL THREE gave me different results simultaneously.

I am once again using three side by side in my new van, all three now being Live HD Traffic versions and yet again, I get different results simultaneously. So when I get one telling me there's no traffic about, another telling me there's a delay of two minutes and another telling me to get the hell out of here because of a 120 minute delay, what am I to do? These are all supposed to be using exactly the same information, transmitted to me via the same method (built in Vodafone SIM card). If my previous different systems (RDS-TMC, RDS-TMC and HD) can't be relied on, why can't like systems be trusted either?

Actually I really should add that all this time, I've been using FOUR systems not three - I have my radio constantly tuned in to BBC Radio 5 Live, with traffic reports every 15 and 45 minutes past the hour.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity DennisN, although it is early days with your new van and satnav set up, have you noticed if any one SatNav is better than the others at relating accurate traffic info.?
It sounds to me that it is a bit like having to weigh up all the information being presented to you, apply local knowledge to half make a "get out of trouble plan" and then wait half an hour for the radio to confirm whether you should implement your plan or not.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen the error in my question. Presumably you would only know which system was accurate if you ignored all the warnings, stuck to your original route and timed how long you were sitting in traffic for.

Something I guess you don't try to do too regularly.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen the error in my question. Presumably you would only know which system was accurate if you ignored all the warnings, stuck to your original route and timed how long you were sitting in traffic for.

Something I guess you don't try to do too regularly.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really forgot to mention the fifth traffic system I use - Eyeball and ear hole. If it looks like it's not moving and my engine sounds like it's idling, it's probably a traffic jam!

I try to combine all the information then "using my skill and judgement", make a decision. Surprisingly, with a bias towards ignoring the warnings, I often get it right!

As for early days with my new van, I turned past 24,000 miles yesterday. The built in system is the worst of the three I'm running. The 1005 seems more reliable for traffic server connection, the built in one is consistently very, very bad at connecting - on a good day it may get connection half an hour into my journey, but is likely to drop it inside the next half hour - whilst both the 1005 and the 550 stay firmly connected. On a bad day (far too often) the built in one never gets server. I should add that I have been in with it several times and it continues to be an ongoing "issue" with Renault. At £800 + vat, it isn't even an expensive paperweight! I'm at the dealers as I write this.

Most user friendly is the 550. The 1005 would be good if only it was easier to use, but being that funny screen, will only react to finger (or special stylus) so I can't reach it with a long pencil like I did with other touchscreens at the distant windscreen. It also has a very, very badly calibrated screen - I touch a letter on the keyboard and it will choose the one in the line above!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: