Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Feature request
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature request
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamantium
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Feature request Reply with quote

This might be little used but I hope it can be do e.

I leave a dedicated old iPhone in my car all. The time, just for the purposes of running cameralert directly through my audio system. The iPhone doubles as my music source.

Trouble isi forget to turn the app off when I exit the car and once started it continues to use the gps and drain the battery even when the car is off.

Is it possible to enable auto switching on/off of the app when a charging power supply is connected/disconnected?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Dropbox's "camera upload" feature only works when the battery is above 20% so it may be possible to do something. Not sure if we can 'detect' if the phone is plugged in or not but at the least we may be able to say "if the battery is less than xyz% then disable GPS" (as an option).

I'll look into it and see if it's something we can consider. Even if it's just to save people's battery when they forget to stop GPS and don't stand still for 10 mins!

MaFt
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find something like this useful on Android, I run CA on a Nexus 7 and have a similar problem
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not CA stop after 10 mins of no movement? Or is it not switching off the GPS that's the problem?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Does not CA stop after 10 mins of no movement? Or is it not switching off the GPS that's the problem?

I have an old HTC Desire (Android 2.2.2). If I leave CamerAlert running with no power to the phone, then the battery is drained within a few hours.

It would be useful for both Android and iOS versions of CamerAlert to determine power level of battery (percentage) when CamerAlert is started and if power level of battery drops a certain percent amount (option set by user) then shut-down CamerAlert as device is not being powered.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

It's difficult to answer that because the few occasions I have left CA running overnight I've come back to a Dead Nexus with a flat battery.

Running GPS doesn't seem to use much juice on it's own so I can only imagine that increased polling is causing the drain - I'll try to watch what's happening & report back
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply should have been more directed at MaFt or a CA coder as a question. because that's how I thought it was supposed to work. Having said that, if it does shut down after 10 mins of no movement, you are likely to drive off after a comfort/meal break only to not have CA running and consequently no warnings. But there is an old adage that finishes up with 'but you can't please all the people all the time'
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot of guessing between the lines on my behalf here but assuming there is no movement for 10 minutes, CamerAlert shuts down but leaves the GPS running. I would guess that the GPS is hungrier for battery than CA .

On my Android I use a combination of a couple of apps called SmartActions and Tasker. I should imagine that there are similar apps for iOS to detect a power supply and activate certain apps and then kill these same apps when the power source is lost.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

It's difficult to answer that because the few occasions I have left CA running overnight I've come back to a Dead Nexus with a flat battery.

Perhaps when you are parked at home the phone is picking up your wifi intermittently causing the location to move around - thus CA thinks you are still moving and doesn't shut down?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Perhaps when you are parked at home the phone is picking up your wifi intermittently causing the location to move around - thus CA thinks you are still moving and doesn't shut down?
Does this confirm that it IS supposed to shut down?
Adamantium
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year everyone.

For sone reason I'd imagine there must be a flag somewhere in the software indicating charging status but you guys know far more than I ever would.

The turning off is more useful but this tanker app sounds like exactly what I need, a m going to look it up anyway, but in the event that there isn't an equivalent, it would be great if CA could incorporate the feature. The turning off is more important but the turning would be a bonus.

It's the only reason I leave an iPhone in the car so if there was a way it could run completely automatically it would make the solution perfect.

Thanks for considering this.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you are planning on using a power source as the trigger but it is possible that unless you have your phone connected to a permanent supply, your phone battery could die out unless you use your car for a significant ammount of time every day and if't connected to a permanent supply, its possible that it is not going to recognise a new power source. do you have a radio with Bluetooth?

If you are able to find Tasker (or similar) on iOS, this is the way I have cobbled together my system -

Everything is triggered by a Bluetooth connection to my car radio-
I enable Bluetooth on on my phone.
I turn the car ignition on, the Bluetooth on my radio is enabled. From here everything is automatic-

the phone pairs to the radio over BT
The BT pairing triggers GPS to switch on
Wait 3 minutes (to get a GPS fix)
Start CAmerAlert app.
Wait 5 seconds
Beep (To draw my attention that CA has started and to make sure it is tracking, if not, I have 1 minute to manually set it to track before the next operation)
Wait 1 minute
Start Navigation app (Which at the moment is Waze).

Switching the car off, kills the BT to the radio and the pairing. Tasker recognises the lost BT pairing and shuts everything down.

So, all I have to remember to do is turn the BT on my phone on.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I know that you are planning on using a power source as the trigger but it is possible that unless you have your phone connected to a permanent supply, your phone battery could die out unless you use your car for a significant ammount of time every day and if't connected to a permanent supply, its possible that it is not going to recognise a new power source. do you have a radio with Bluetooth?

If you are able to find Tasker (or similar) on iOS, this is the way I have cobbled together my system -

Everything is triggered by a Bluetooth connection to my car radio-
I enable Bluetooth on on my phone.
I turn the car ignition on, the Bluetooth on my radio is enabled. From here everything is automatic-

the phone pairs to the radio over BT
The BT pairing triggers GPS to switch on
Wait 3 minutes (to get a GPS fix)
Start CAmerAlert app.
Wait 5 seconds
Beep (To draw my attention that CA has started and to make sure it is tracking, if not, I have 1 minute to manually set it to track before the next operation)
Wait 1 minute
Start Navigation app (Which at the moment is Waze).

Switching the car off, kills the BT to the radio and the pairing. Tasker recognises the lost BT pairing and shuts everything down.

So, all I have to remember to do is turn the BT on my phone on.

I'm on Android but using "Bluetooth Auto Connect" which switches BT on when put on charge so, ignition on, USB charger receives 12v, BT switches on - I think I'll try Tasker for the rest of the sequence.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a free 7 day trial link on tasker's website. Make sure it does what you want prior to purchase. It works with one of my phones but not the other.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a free 7 day trial link on tasker's website. Make sure it does what you want prior to purchase. It works with one of my phones but not the other.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: