Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: TomTom GO 6000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: TomTom GO 6000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the opening paragraph to say that the GO 5000 also has the built in SIM card.
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if you planned on getting the large screen because of poorer eyesight or, perhaps, to use in a larger vehicle where it would be mounted further away, then you might want to reconsider.

That is a very important point; luckily, for other reasons, I didn't get one of these but the above would have been a deal breaker. The things you don't know until either you have bought one and it's too late, or you get a thorough review like this one. Thumbs Up
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review from MaFt.

Unfortunately without the option to add my own POIs to the device it's a PND that will never be bought by me.

I do hope someone from TomTom has the job of browsing through these posts...

Did you get that? No personal POIs means no sales.

Rant over.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GO920 is on its last legs but without personal POI upload this will not be on my Xmas list.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
tonylathes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No self-imported POIs? No sale. My 750 allowed these and, crucially, one's own written/spoken warning. When TomTom put this feature back, I'll buy one. Until then. No.
fowleronline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: TT600 Reply with quote

I had to buy the 600 as the 6000 was not yet released, and the only difference is that it uses your own phone data connection instead of it's own sim. TT is still be best generally, but, they can be regarded as particularly stupid with some of the decisions they have made.
I chose the bigger screen because 1) my eyes are not what they used to be 2) I have a long sweeping dashboard 3) I assumed everything would be upscaled. - I was wrong.
I cannot read the sidebar it is too small at my using distance. I have to lean well forward to change any setting, and tiny on screen buttons make it nearly impossible. Any company that does not think changes have to be made by the driver, while driving, is deluded.
Traffic conditions is a very useful feature (and part of my purchase decision making process)... when it works. As others have reported when it loses connection it will almost never re connect. I thought it was my Bluetooth connection, but it is not. In normal driving mode you do not know if you have a traffic connection or not unless you press the tiny menu button (bottom left) and look at the icon that then becomes visible top right (and it has an x in it to show no connection) and then press another tiny button (top right) to get back to the map.
If it does detect a faster alternate route due to traffic, it shows that it is available in small writing on the menu bar on the right. You have a very short time to chose yes or no without any idea of where on the journey this diversion will take place. Then, if for example the blockage clears, you are offered another yes/no choice to take a faster route, which may be back onto your original route, but you have no knowledge one way or the other. If you miss the second chance you have no way of getting it back, and will never know what it was unless you re calculate your journey again. I was in this situation and my recalculated route was 20 miles shorter.
Not being able to use 3rd party POIs again and crowd corrected maps is another backwards step.
In all, I don't mind paying for a premium product, but this is not premium, it's just better than the rest.
So in my view it's an improvement on before, a lot better than nothing, but a hugely frustrating device to use - and it didn't have to be!
Martin
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'avoid part of route' feature didn't seem to work; while it was shown as an option in the 'Current Route' menu item it was always greyed out.
It says on mine 'Avoid on This Route' and it's certainly not greyed out.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/dirtyweeraincloud/Mobile%20Uploads/2A2F0CE9-79C5-419C-BB93-1C841770C2E9.jpg

edited by MaFt so the image is shown in a 'pop up' instead of breaking the site layout Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
The 'avoid part of route' feature didn't seem to work; while it was shown as an option in the 'Current Route' menu item it was always greyed out.
It says on mine 'Avoid on This Route' and it's certainly not greyed out.

My apologies, I got the text wrong. However, on each route I used it was always greyed out.

MaFt
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What no user POIs Reply with quote

larry17 wrote:
For me the ability to not add my own or 3rd party POIs makes this a no buy model for me. Didn't TT learn anything the last time when they did this? Embarassed

I am with you on this Larry, I currently have over 300+ addresses on a POI file, I use a TT950 and still going strong.

stephenbeharrell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Screen size Reply with quote

I noted your observation about text being the same size in the larger screen, so here's a interesting thing. Some while ago I had so much trouble with a 950 that they gave me a 1000 when I visited their Dutch HQ. Whilst there I suggested to them that they simply rotate the screen so that it was possible to see more of the road ahead. It seemed crazy to have so much info to the left and right which is not relevant to your journey. This made it possible to increase text size as well. In effect it is what the i phone does. I pointed out that this was something that should bee considered expecialy useful on motorways when traveling at high speed. I thought that this was going to be accepted as a future modification but they seem focused on huge screens on which much of the space is taken up by irrelevant map info. Nice review by the way - looks like another ill informed product upgrade by TT.
KenBruce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 3rd party POIs seems to be annoying lots of potential customers including me. Thank goodness my old 950 is still OK! I have TT on my Android phone and even that makes it difficult to install my own POIs. I have nearly 25000 of them!
Perhaps a Garmin next time?
kelvinpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: review Reply with quote

Ggot one coming thinking l have made a mistake. My own fault for buying to quike after my 920 died. If they introduce Custom POI QUICKLEY l will be almost satisfied likewise the avoid route better work too. If not its going back and TOM TOM CAN GO SWIVEL lm afraid. If they are trying to screw sites like this over for giving people independent options and service. Bybthe way l consider excellent lm gone as a future customer and l would advice my fellow traveler to avoid. My Garmen is like the 6000 in many ways and l thought the 6000 seemed a fair amalgamation of my 920 and Garmen but now MAYBE NOT. BOO HOO DAMN IT.
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does TomTom promise that custom POI functionality will be added? It would be unwise to depend on anything more than has been announced. Users of Nav3 were hoping for Itineraries based on no such promise and that never came, and now TomTom has moved on. You can still get your money back under Distance Sellling.
kelvinpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes l know l can get my money back but l am saying.l would rather have the 6000,and tom tom get there act togrther n realise hat they are bloting there good copy book by omitting such useful n popular things like custom poi and the lke. Surely they do customer resurch. If so l CANNOT BELIEVE thete R and D showed that this wss not an issue. I believe this is a market ploy to stop users of there devices being able to go to sites like this and dwnload poi and speed camras etc. Well in my view TOM TOM are opening a can of worms by ommiting such important things. It takes a long time to get n keep a good brand but if they carry on and react soooo slow to users n customers disatisfaction they will start sliping no matter what they bring out cus they wont be trusted to upgrade n inavate products.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: