Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 50 LM questions.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 50 LM questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 50 LM questions. Reply with quote

I was in the USA recently and picked up a Nuvi 50 LM from the local Walmart. Worked pretty well apart from slow POI database.

Now back in the UK and wondering whether to keep my ageing TomTom with UK maps or to buy the

GARMIN NUMAPS LIFETIME EUROPE map from Handtec for £50.

1) guessing I will need to install Euro maps onto an SD card?
2) Will it effect performance of the unit? Should I just use one map at a time.
3) Are the Lifetime NUMAPS better than the city navigator maps? (not sure on differences).
4) Euro maps will be massive, only really interested in UK for now, so can I just install this portion?
5) Are the Euro maps as good for UK maps or should I get the stand alone UK maps?

thanks for any advice given.

David
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful ...

You can't simply buy 'lifetime maps' for a satnav you bought in the US with US maps.

First you'll need to buy the EU mapping THEN a lifetime update. Also be careful, the download isn't updateable, only the DVD version. More details here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={16315fb0-39b2-11de-5dd5-000000000000}

On your other points, City Navigator maps is the name given to the mapset, there is no difference between CN and nuMaps etc. If you go ahead then you can install just the UK portion if you wish, it's just a subset of the EU map.

You would also need a memory card, as both the US and EU maps would be unlikely to fit on the device itself. You also can't simply delete the US maps without risk of turning the satnav into a paperweight.

Overall it would probably be cheaper and simpler to buy another satnav, either Garmin or TomTom Wink

You can get the Garmin 52 for only £99.99 including lifetime maps

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_944589_langId_-1_categoryId_165685?_$ja=kw:satnavdiscounts|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-satnavdiscounts-_-TopLink
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems pretty bonkers that to me, but thanks for the advice.

I did read about the maps not including the lane assist .....etc which would need to be added later.

guess I could get this from Amazon.co.uk
Garmin City Navigator NT Maps UK/Ireland 2012 SD/microSD card £25

then update with what ever options I have. Or just stick with my TomTom one. Or take your advice and buy another new one Smile (just seems a wasteful way of doing it).

thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy the card but note what I said, it's not updateable and that one is already a year out of date Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: