Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bath Council bans satnav in taxis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bath Council bans satnav in taxis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Snudge wrote:
(BANES means Bath & NE Somerset)

Anyway Snudge consider yourself truly castigated for this wickedness - I speak on behalf of all the councillors who would hang draw and quarter you for calling it BANES.

Fair enough - I'll keep well away! Very Happy
gsmith99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Idiotic to ban satnavs in taxis! Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
JamesEncliffe wrote:
It does not matter that the screen is within the 'swept area', as long as it doesn't impede visability.[sic]
It does matter. It's the law; and the council implies that lots of their drivers are breaking the law by 'having their satnavs in the swept area of the screen thus compromising the drivers view of the road', so banned than. Very Happy

The 'rear view mirror' of most cars is in the 'swept area' does that mean it's breaking the law?

I use a satnav and often work out 'how far' before using a taxi/cab, and have soon had a quoted price dropped, once the driver realises I've worked out the distance to where I want to be on a satnav...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Idiotic to ban satnavs in taxis! Reply with quote

gsmith99 wrote:
The 'rear view mirror' of most cars is in the 'swept area' does that mean it's breaking the law?
It appears that your 'definition' of swept area differs considerably from that designated by the MoT testers 'rules'. The correct definition can be found here and clearly excludes the rear view mirror. So no, the rear view mirror is neither breaking the law or in the swept area of the windscreen.
timtech
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M8TJT
Prevention is better than cure (or so they say)[/quote]

So....... shoot the lot of them, then. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information.....

This was the top story on our local ITV news last night. It was better explained that the council actually want to get taxi drivers to dress more smartly (for the posh Bath residents and visitors) and stop driving round looking like muggers in hoodies, or temporary homeless drivers (and there was footage of both examples). And I'd guess some daft executive in the council office (all these nutty ideas are first proposed by some council worker, not councillors - they're not bright enough to think beyond their expenses claims) added in that they shouldn't need satnavs, they should be familiar with every address, as with "The Knowledge" required for London taxi drivers. On the news, they interviewed one councillolr who was for it and one who was against. It all keeps the local government wheels turning! Several taxi drivers claimed that some customers only know the post code of an address, not the street name.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Out of interest, are we talking Taxi's here or Private Hire Vehicles? Because they are two separate beasts. I never use Taxis (too expensive) and always opt for Private Hire cars.

Taxi's and private hire should be the same cost,the difference being a private hire can only be per-booked,a taxi can be flagged down ...so long as he is in his license area.The circuit I drive on has all its work put through to on car [taxi & PH] PDA's which also work as a tracker so dispatcher can send nearest car,also within in the system is a route button which takes you there.the area you might know but finding a house number in the dark is another matter !,although I have the PDA, my TOM TOM takes me to front door nine times out of ten.The council concerned need to take more things into account.
My Tom Tom is mounted on the air vent which is out of eye line thro' windscreen,also has silent voice so no banal voice telling me what to do.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
For information.....

This was the top story on our local ITV news last night. It was better explained that the council actually want to get taxi drivers to dress more smartly (for the posh Bath residents and visitors) and stop driving round looking like muggers in hoodies, or temporary homeless drivers (and there was footage of both examples). And I'd guess some daft executive in the council office (all these nutty ideas are first proposed by some council worker, not councillors - they're not bright enough to think beyond their expenses claims) added in that they shouldn't need satnavs, they should be familiar with every address, as with "The Knowledge" required for London taxi drivers. On the news, they interviewed one councillolr who was for it and one who was against. It all keeps the local government wheels turning! Several taxi drivers claimed that some customers only know the post code of an address, not the street name.

Cannot argue with dress code some drivers look like they have just got out of bed !,a bit un-nerving for the customer a driver with a hoody up.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
bertxuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. Keynsham, the B3116 is the main road in from the south and they've made that 20mph from approx. the turning for Hurn Lane down to the Talbot Roundabout and along towards Chandag Esso. This stretch of road from entering the built up area now goes 40/30/20 and the type of road is the same throughout. Absolutely barking mad. There are 2x mobile sites on this stretch which were 30 and are now 20 by implication.

Re. BANES and the Bath taxi drivers, also barking mad. As someone who pays BANES £1850 per year (and rising) in council tax, I think I have a right to expect them to find something more productive to do with the time that I pay them for.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertxuk wrote:
I think I have a right to expect them to find something more productive to do with the time that I pay them for.
You should know by now that it doesn't work like that

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: