Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No interest in new GO series?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No interest in new GO series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN....
As there is no 'Like' button to click on your comment, I've made one..
[Like]√
stanwhite_snr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I, as the owner of a Go 6000 can sum it all up simply:

It appears to have maps of Cyprus in it. I recently went to Cyprus, and drove about 600 miles. I did not even bother to take my Go 6000, even though I am not aware of other machines with Cyprus mapping. I have no confidence in it whatsoever, after my experiences in France.

In fact, I have not used it at all since early September, when, with dismay, I used it to navigate to Frejus, in the South of France. I came back, using my Go940. (And a LOT happier). The 6000 occasionally routed strangely, but worst of all, gave me a route with no way to avoid parts I did not like.

I do update it regularly, and yesterday, there seemed to be something called "Mydrive" replacing "My Tomtom". That seems flaky at the very least, and I, and a lot of others have expressed dis-satisfaction. I did get annoyed, and vented my frustration and got effectively banned from the tomtom forums.

I am not some hot headed kid, I am 64, and used to a lot better customer satisfaction than I got from the Go6000. My only thoughts, therefore, are whatever you do, go find a different product, as this one does exactly what it says on the box. And the box is small, and does not have a great deal of writing on it.

After the feature set in the Go940, the 6000 is an entry level machine with limited graphics set in colours you can't change, (that I don't like). There are so many other omissions that MaFt will probably note, and I look forward to his review, to see if it is "just me", or tomtom really have produced a complete "white elephant".

I have to re-iterate, if you are going to contemplate purchase of a new tomtom, do a great deal of research, go and see one "in the flesh", and then see if you still want one. I suspect not.....

Mine is likely to be available for sale sometime soon.....

Regards,

Stan.
Skier641
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just taken delivery of a TomTom Go 5000; this was intended to replace an ageing TomTom One XL. I have the following comments:

1. When I phoned TomTom to discuss the Go family I specifically asked about both availability of US mapping and that it could be added to the internal memory alongside the European Maps already installed. I was told that I could download US maps and that they would fit on the internal memory alongside the existing maps. US maps are not available for the TomTom Go 5000 and they certainly wouldn't fit on the 8GB internal memory alongside the additional maps - these already take up almost 6GB. These high-end devices really should come with enough internal memory to allow the installation of an additional mapping.

2. When the TomTom believes you have arrived at the destination (see point 3) the map display reverts to North orientated and all routing information and prompting ceases. Why does the mapping orientation change? It can be the case that you have to drive beyond your destination, the unit should continue to give navigational prompts and the diaply orientation shouldn't change.

2a. 3D mapping. I don't live in London but I did drive into Gloucester this evening using the TomTom to see how it performed. Where is 3D mapping available? I have it selected but don't see anything like the marketing style images - I don't expect 3D mapping in the countryside where I live but in a major UK city.....!

3. In my limited use of the Go 5000 the accuracy of the postcodes I've used is far worse than that of my old One XL.

4. There is no way to create POI groups as on previous units. Previously this meant I could categorise POIs into groups that worked for me to make them more manageable e.g. Friends, Work, Pubs & Restaurants etc. All there is now is a huge 'My Places' list.

5. Limited re-routing options; they're simply not implemented yet.

6. It takes an age to boot up.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skier641 wrote:
2. When the TomTom believes you have arrived at the destination (see point 3) the map display reverts to North orientated and all routing information and prompting ceases. Why does the mapping orientation change? It can be the case that you have to drive beyond your destination, the unit should continue to give navigational prompts and the diaply orientation shouldn't change.

I can't talk about the rest, but my 720 does this too. I presume they think that you can sort yourself out, or that you won't go so wildy far that you need assistance again. Fortunately the navigate to last destination will help if you do need it, so it isn't too bad. How hard is that on the 5000?

(The opposite is also true of course, if you don't quite get to the location you are aiming for, the destination isn't cleared, and will be still there a week later.)
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent devices have had a few software updates recently and I've been using my 600 for a few months now.

The new software does improve the current solution however it still falls somewhere short of the breadth of functionality in the older devices (1005 in my case).

On balance I still find the 600 a good device. It does all I need although I travel mainly to up to 20 points which I've saved on the device. I have little need for POI or other stuff. Never use itineraries, just get in the car and plan the route.

I've had no issues with crashes or resets. The traffic is always spot on and has helped me avoid a lot of snarl ups. The integration to bluetooth on my phone works faultlessly.

It does all the basics however it seems the fundamental problem it only does 25% of what the previous top end models did.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My review is now up: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-6000-review-q7659.php

In a nutshell: "could do better"

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: