Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Iphone 5 car kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Iphone 5 car kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Iphone 5 car kit Reply with quote

I have an iphone 4 that I use with a tomtom car kit. I like it because it easily clips in and charges with one hand, no messing with power leads.

Soon I get an upgrade to a 5S. It seems that tomtom don't do a 5s kit?

Can anyone recommend a decent 5S holder/ Charger please? The phone clips in and out at least 10 times a day so must be easy to use. The type with a window sucker is what I want.

I Bluetooth to my Sony CD player for handsfree calls, so no need for built in speakers etc.

Thanks
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Brodit, plenty of reviews on here and elsewhere.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, nobody does a 5 car kit, it's the lightning cable that nobody seems to want to get into.

http://osomount.com/

I had a Zero mount which was pretty good, although not a powered mount - the Apple lightning cable is a fiddle to connect (not one-handed).

It broke (no, I broke it!). When I reordered another, they had run out of stock and had no re-stocking forecast, so I bought their 360 Grip instead. It's actually easier to use as you attach the cable then slot it into the holder. My main liking is that it has a proprietary funny sticky sucker, which sticks like a limpet to my dashboard, pimply surface and all. Unfortunately there is no powered holder I have been able to find suitable (Brodit fixes into air vents, but on a Renault Kangoo too close to the steering wheel to fit under it).

The first company to bring out a powered mount for the iPhone 5 lightning cable gets my business PDQ.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be good when the EU bring in the rule that all mobile devices must use the standard mini USB connector for charging.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are lucky your tomtom cradle worked well with your iphone 4, I had no ends of problems when I swapped my 3GS for one. Ended up dumping it, it's in a bag here somewhere.

The GPS was so much better from the 4 upwards I've just got an expanding windscreen mount for about £3 on ebay. Seriously it's rock steady and no more cursing. I think for 3 quid it came with a 12v charger and cable too but does the job.

Just gone to an iphone 5 myself and can still use it. Just bought a longer lightning cable for a couple of quid and away you go. OK it's non certified and you get the annoying message (Apple jokers) but it still charges.

Certainly never spending the sort of money the tomtom cradle cost back in the day ever again.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the iPhone 3GS and the Tomtom GPS cradle. I use it occasionally now for various apps, but not the Tomtom as my current car has built-in GPS.

My wife has an iPhone5 and uses a Brodit passive mount (two parts), but this has a hole in the bottom where a lightning cable will fit if needed. But the battery life is pretty good and most journeys don't need the cable to charge things up.

We looked at the Brodit active mount for iPhone5 but the extra cost was a lot and it wasn't much better than the passive mount and the separate cable.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go Google the suggestions
tdenson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It'll be good when the EU bring in the rule that all mobile devices must use the standard mini USB connector for charging.

I disagree, I love the lightning connector, particularly its bidirectional capability. I have always mounted my phones in the car with magnets, a cheap and cheerful but very effective solution. I have several magnets in each of my cars, I also have an HTC One and I stick the little metal plate to the back of each phone case. I can stick the lightning connector into my iPhone without taking my eyes off the road, but it's a right pain getting the Micro USB connector into the HTC One. Apart from the lightning connector being bidirectional it doesn't need as much insertion force, so I can insert it without dislodging the phone from the magnet.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon do an iPhone 5 mount: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod146492.html

MaFt
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the Navigon one looks good.
Shame about the 5-8 weeks though.
Think I will get a cheapo one from fleabay to use for a few weeks then consider the Navigon when it is available.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded from a 4S to a 5s. My existing setup was using a Brodit passthrough cradle, i.e. fixed 30 pin connector in the cradle which then allows an external 30 pin cable to be connected. Since I also needed an AUX type connection I was using a 30 pin to USB cable that also had a extra 3.5mm cable.

On getting the 5s I bought a Brodit cradle that allows a Lightning cable to be clipped in. So I also bought an official Apple Lightning to 30 pin cable, this allows my existing 30 pin cable to still be used, the phone charges and the analog audio also works.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: