Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thank you (and a few comments)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you (and a few comments)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidIr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Thank you (and a few comments) Reply with quote

Hi,
Just wanted to say a quick thank you for getting the iOS 7 compatible app out to us. I realise that Apple made your life a little difficult with this one, and am grateful you have managed to get this version to us.

I have noticed a couple of "features" which wanted to feed back to you:

1. on my iPhone 5 i find it more difficult to get in to the settings than the previous version of the app. It seems like the detection area for pressing the cog icon is smaller. I may be imagining it, but wanted to mention.

2. On this version (same as the previous version) I run the app in the background (behind TomTom) but when I bring it back to the foreground the list of upcoming cameras is shrunk to the bottom of the screen leaving a really empty screen. If I turn off the GPS tracking (target icon bottom left) and turn it back on again they all appears as normal. This causes me problems for confirming mobile cameras when I see them.

3. the PGPSW logo top right is no longer in the top right of my screen, it appears to be stepped in slightly leaving less space for the average speed box (or so it appears) than the previous version. Minor visual but I have noticed it.

Generally I really like the app and how it works but also have some ideas which I have had for the next major version:

1. when I click the report camera button would be great if a picture was taken immediately (perhaps should be optional setting). I have the phone mounted in my car in such a way that this would take a pic through the windscreen allowing really easy verification of cameras.

2. Having the option to delete a camera stored on the device without it being a "request for removal" would be good.

3. Previously when using the app overseas (when it was legal in France) I noticed that with the display in KMH the speed and average speed displays have issues with numbers over 100 (not quite enough space for the text without loosing some). Minor and not normally seen in the UK - I hope!

Just the ramblings of a user. Hope they are useful Smile

Dave
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you (and a few comments) Reply with quote

DavidIr wrote:
1. on my iPhone 5 i find it more difficult to get in to the settings than the previous version of the app. It seems like the detection area for pressing the cog icon is smaller. I may be imagining it, but wanted to mention.

THANK YOU!!!! I thought I was imagining this, I've noticed it as well Smile

DavidIr wrote:
2. On this version (same as the previous version) I run the app in the background (behind TomTom) but when I bring it back to the foreground the list of upcoming cameras is shrunk to the bottom of the screen leaving a really empty screen. If I turn off the GPS tracking (target icon bottom left) and turn it back on again they all appears as normal. This causes me problems for confirming mobile cameras when I see them.

Not something I've noticed. What 'view' do you use? DO you have it on 'show map: never'? We'll look into this.

DavidIr wrote:
3. the PGPSW logo top right is no longer in the top right of my screen, it appears to be stepped in slightly leaving less space for the average speed box (or so it appears) than the previous version. Minor visual but I have noticed it.

One thing we had to change with this version was the way the map was displayed. Apple have (for once) improved things in this regard, in that we no longer have to do our own calculations for rotating the map view etc (resulting in upside-down street names etc). A side effect of this is that we now have the compass in the top right corner - so we had to shift the logo across a bit so it wasn't obscured (we can't relocate the compass).

DavidIr wrote:
Generally I really like the app and how it works but also have some ideas which I have had for the next major version:

1. when I click the report camera button would be great if a picture was taken immediately (perhaps should be optional setting). I have the phone mounted in my car in such a way that this would take a pic through the windscreen allowing really easy verification of cameras.

I like this idea. I agree that it should be a (non-default) setting though. Most people I know do not have the phone mount in a positions for taking a photo when tapped.

DavidIr wrote:
2. Having the option to delete a camera stored on the device without it being a "request for removal" would be good.

Can you give us a scenario when this would be useful? In general if a camera needs removing then it should be removed for all users?

DavidIr wrote:
3. Previously when using the app overseas (when it was legal in France) I noticed that with the display in KMH the speed and average speed displays have issues with numbers over 100 (not quite enough space for the text without loosing some). Minor and not normally seen in the UK - I hope!

Was this with the old version of the app? From memory we have fixed this for the iOS7 version Smile

Thanks for the comments, feedback and suggestions!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you (and a few comments) Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
DavidIr wrote:
]2. Having the option to delete a camera stored on the device without it being a "request for removal" would be good.

Can you give us a scenario when this would be useful? In general if a camera needs removing then it should be removed for all users?
For instance, I don't need reminding of my local cam every time I approach it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleting them won't work as you would get them back with the next sync. Rather we would need to add a "blacklist" table where you can indicate the cameras you don't want to be warned about, and you would have to take all responsibility for the situations where you would have needed the alert but didn't get it because you blacklisted it etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidIr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you (and a few comments) Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
DavidIr wrote:

Not something I've noticed. What 'view' do you use? DO you have it on 'show map: never'? We'll look into this.

I always use "show map: never" because mostly I have TomTom running in foreground. I have managed to find a screenshot of this which I took ages ago meaning to send it. How best to get it to you?

MaFt wrote:
DavidIr wrote:

I guess this stems from the options to not "allow transmission" (meaning they are only on the device) and having a number of cameras only on the device. (both on Manage cameras screen). NOt my best thought through suggestion maybe? Confused

MaFt wrote:
DavidIr wrote:

Was this with the old version of the app? From memory we have fixed this for the iOS7 version Smile

Yes this was with the older version not had a chance to test it since Smile

David
DavidIr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you (and a few comments) Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
DavidIr wrote:

After much playing (and I need the next database update to test my theory again) I think I may have sent you on a goose chase with this one. I *think* that this may actually be that you cannot click on the setting cog whilst the message "take care, you are not using the latest database, please update" is playing.

I will update this thread once tested again.

David
abre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you (and a few comments) Reply with quote

DavidIr wrote:
MaFt wrote:
DavidIr wrote:

After much playing (and I need the next database update to test my theory again) I think I may have sent you on a goose chase with this one. I *think* that this may actually be that you cannot click on the setting cog whilst the message "take care, you are not using the latest database, please update" is playing.

I will update this thread once tested again.

David

No it is definitely more difficult to get in to the settings. The cog icon appears to be closer to the music icon and too close to the screen corner. I find if I touch the icon and drag off to the right of the screen I have a better chance of getting in to settings. It's almost as if the active size of the button has reduced in size.
wilkdash
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: problem with turning off warnings and bluetooth sound Reply with quote

I have my iphone connected to the car by bluetooth for listening to speaking books.

I am having some difficulties turning off the warnings without removing them completely, they still sound - if somewhat randomly.

Also if someone rings me at the end of the call the sound does not return to bluetooth until I kill and re-start the app.

I didn't have any of these problems with the old version.

I agree the settings icon is too small and very unresponsive.

Otherwise I love the app and use it on almost every trip
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your car bluetooth connection A2DP or HSP/HFP ? (i.e., is it stereo or mono?)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz - I lose sound not only to my built in BT system from iPhone 5, but also to a visor mounted A2DP unit. I cannot make my mind up what causes it - some factor of phone call in or out and also text message, in or out. I nowadays simply close and restart CA after every phone call or text in order to be sure of getting audio warnings. This has been happening since before the latest incarnation of CA (iOS 7).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: