Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Renault Meganne Tomtom Carminat SPEED CAMERAS hitty missy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Renault Meganne Tomtom Carminat SPEED CAMERAS hitty missy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveb3650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Renault Meganne Tomtom Carminat SPEED CAMERAS hitty missy Reply with quote

Greetings folks from a newbie to this site...

My works renault Meganne has a TomTom built in, its the carminat type... at first it was OK, it picked up every speed camera going,including the mobile ones......after a couple of months it seems to have totally changed it's mind about doing anything with them. I've got the sounds set fine, but it does nowt when i'm near them.... I've got ALL ENABLED in the settings and it' supposed to be alerting me 15 seconds before I get to them.....

But it doesnt want to play ball.......is this something that i'm supposed to be paying for as an extra ??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the Carminat Live model, the cameras allegedly are updated over the air. If the free trial has ended, then you will need to renew the Live subscription.

However, before you do, be aware that the TomTom cameras are (in my opinion and that of many on this site) very unreliable and not a lot of use.

I have a Live device and I updated it last night in preparation for a trip Bristol to Bradford this morning. None of the new M5 Average Speed cameras (in two separate sections) were on the TomTom and there were quite a number of Truvelos missing in Bradford. By comparison, all those showed on the database from PocketGPSWorld, running on my iPhone.

Also by comparison, the presentation of data is far better on pgpsw database - I use an advance warning sound to wake me up (siren) followed by the spoken warning which speaks the type and speed of each camera. I can set the advance warning distance to any time I want (with optional extra warning time for mobile cameras). In an average speed camera zone, the display also shows my current speed and my average speed since I entered the zone. By comparison, I don't know if I can set the warning time on the TomTom - it seems to give 300 yards, which for all mobiles is far too short. The camera icons are pretty anonymous and the audio warning of a couple of beeps is laughable.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
daveb3650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Hi and many thanks for your reply...

Mine has Tomtom live and it does show a symbol saying tomtom live has just expired, I was tempted to pay for an update but if its cr#p then whats the point....

It was working great in the beginning, has anyone got any good words for these things....

I think it's about fifty quid to get the speed cams put back on....robbing gits...... are there any hacks for it ?

I dont have an Iphone so that is out...I do have an IPAD mini tho...but obviously the wireless isnt going to work.......!!
daveb3650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Another thing..... Reply with quote

Er....one other thing.....

Any ideas how I can do a 35 mile drive and it ignores all cameras except one particular one......

I've re-downloaded the software and tried everything I can think of......

Thx again...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion - of all the 'features' in the Live Services, the only worthwhile one is the HD Traffic. There is no hack that I know of and this website, Pgpsw, is profoundly anti illegal stuff so we don't discuss it.

I dont know how the cameras can come and go as you drive, but the only way to get them back is through connection to TomTom Home on your computer and subscribing to Live Services.

If cameras are your only desire and you're not interested in HD Traffic, then your best option is to subscribe to PocketGPSWorld for £19.99 a year, camera database included.

Incidentally, you can use Pgpsw on an Android phone as well as iPhone.

lagerpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I take the opportunity to revive this thread, as I have a Renault Megane with a Carminat TomTom LIVE and I just can't figure out how to get my PGPSW database onto it.

I have downloaded the correct version of the database (OV2, BMP and OGG files), but there doesn't seem to be any "Add community content" option in the TomTom HOME PC application which manages the device.

I would be extremely grateful id someone with a recent Renault equiped with a Carminat TomTom LIVE could help me out!

Many thanks in advance!

Lagerpe
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't use Community content (that is not available).

You use Windows Explorer. Simply copy and paste the unzipped ov2, bmp and OGG files into the map folder.

Follow the installation instructions for TomTom GO models x50, x40, x30 models.

lagerpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! I'll do that.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Lagerpe
lagerpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I have done anything wrong, but since I copied these files into the map folder ("Europe") the Carminat does not start properly. It looks like it will start, showing the usual "RS" logo, but then it just shows a timeglass and re-boots. This just goes on over and over in a loop... :-(

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be done?

Thanks in advance!

Lagerpe
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like maybe you didn't eject the SD card properly from the computer or from the car.

Eject it again from the car (one of the menu options - sorry I can't do it word by word as I no longer have my Carminat vehicle). Put it into the computer again and let it fire up Home, then eject it properly from computer and put it back in the car.

Did you ever make a copy of the SD card?

lagerpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have backup copies of the card so, if the worst comes to the worst, I can reset everything to the state it was in a few weeks ago.

I will try what you suggest and let you know how I got on.
lagerpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I have managed to make my Carminat TomTom LIVE work again, thanks to the backup which had been done by the TomTom HOME application.

However, I still can't make it work with the PGPSW database on it.

I was very careful to remove the SD card from the Carminat only after having pressed the "remove SD Card" button on the device, and having waited for the OK to do so.

Then, after having copied the database into the "Europe" folder of the device, I was equally careful to eject the SD card properly from the PC, before removing it.

Still, when I now put the card back into the Carminat - again - it looks like it will start, showing the usual "RS" logo, but then it just shows a timeglass and re-boots over and over in a loop.

This is all very irritating and puzzling Evil or Very Mad

Any help or ideas would be most welcome!

Lagerpe
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stumped. My Carminat wasn't the Live version, but that wouldn't make a difference.

Just checking you are talking about the correct folder - in the map folder, do you have files called cline.dat, cname.dat, Renault_X2.bmp, Renault.bmp, Renault.ov2 and RenaultOv2.ver? And the TomTom speed cameras, Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2, Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2.dct and Autovelox_IT_TomTomOv2.ver (Belgium cameras will also be in there, for example Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2, Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2.dct and Radar_BE_TomTom.Ov2.ver, together with many others - FartKamera, Fartsboks, Flitspaal, Kamerat and so on)?

Do the pgpsw datafiles show up in the same folder - pocketgps_eur_gatso_X2.bmp, pocketgps_eur_gatso.bmp, pocketgps_gatso_.ov2, pocketgps_eur_gatso.ogg? If you selected to download the Europe consolidated by type database, depending on whether or not you opted to include the pMobiles, there will be four files for each camera type after unzipping (so you'll have either 16 or 20 files beginning pocketgps). If you selected to download the Speed zoned complete database, you'll have about 240.

If all the above are answered YES, the only suggestion I now have is perhaps the pgpsw download was corrupt, it sometimes happens. Can you delete the files and then download and unzip a fresh set?

lagerpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my "Europe" folder, which is a top level folder (not a sub-folder), I do indeed have the files called cline.dat, cname.dat, Renault_X2.bmp, Renault.bmp, Renault.ov2 and RenaultOv2.ver.

I also seem to have in the same folder all the TomTom speed camera files (apparently three files for each country: one .ov2, one .dct and one .ver).

Finally, all the pocketgps files are there too: a total of 380 files for UK and Europe, apparently always in groups of 4 (one .ov2, one .ogg and two .bmp).

I will try to re-download and re-install, but I have done this twice already, so I don't have much hope... Should I do UK and EUR separately, in two different sessions? I have extracted the zipped files into a separate folder on my desktop and then copied the extracted files from there into the "Europe" folder of the device. Surely, that should be OK.

There is another top level folder called "maps" which contains a file called Europe.tlv. It is only 3 KB big. What is that? Another top level folder is called "poi" and contains TomTom safety cam related folders called Safety_Cam_BE_Premium.tlv, Safety_Cam_DE_Premium.tlv, etc (one per country). They are all tiny, 1 KB or 2 KB files. What are those .tlv files?

So... lots of questions and of frustration at this end...

Very grateful for the help provided so far and hoping to get to the bottom of this!

Lagerpe Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I do UK and EUR separately, in two different sessions? :
Just in case you were not aware, the PGPSW EUR can database does not include UK cams. MPH/KPH is the reason. But it seems that you were aware as yo already have UK and EUR cams.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: