Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing format
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hugely MaFt. I've tried this and, yes, GPSBabel now works and carried out the translation (although I find the interface is somewhat quirky).

The next bit of good news is that my TT recognises the .ov2 file as a valid POI file.

The bad news is that all the names have failed to translate properly - for example accommodation in, say, Reading, just has Reading or some variant as the name: nothing else ie no hotel name. A specific example: Premier Inn Reading has the name Reading S" in the listing (the S is because it's Premier Inn Reading S, S=South). It looks like the TT POI listing has defaulted to the last bit of text after a space.

I guess this is some issue with GPSBabel but the documentation isn't very good. I've chosen all the default options so not sure what's gone wrong. Any ideas?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could possibly write a macro to remove the top row of the Excel data, save it as a .csv then assign it a keyboard shortcut.
It's like this:-

Sub RemoveTopRow()
Dim strPathName As String
Dim strFileName As String

strPathName = ActiveWorkbook.Path
strFileName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
strFileName = strPathName & "\" & strFileName
'Delete top row
Rows("1:1").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp

'And save as .CSV
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=strFileName, FileFormat:=xlCSV _
, CreateBackup:=False
Cells(1, 1).Select
End Sub

Then select the 'Developer' tab.
Chose 'Macros' ~ 'Options' and assign it a suitable shortcut key
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M8TJT - you'll see that MaFt has already fixed the .csv problem, but I'm now battling with GPSBabel (and not too successfully so far.....)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Sorry, I missed that. It was on the previous page that I omitted to fully read. Embarassed
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now installed Boot Camp and WinXP on my Mac and installed POIEdit and tried the Garmin .csv to TT .ov2 batch converter, because I'm still battling with the low limit on the number of subcategories that can be combined when downloading TT .ov2 POIs.

The good news is that, unlike many of the other progreammes or on-line converters, POIEdit doesn't 'choke' on big files. The bad news is that, once again, a conversion process fails to render the correct names of the POIs when opened on my TT, often just giving me the phone number or address but not the title.

Any POIEdit gurus out there can tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything)? Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
I've now installed Boot Camp and WinXP on my Mac and installed POIEdit and tried the Garmin .csv to TT .ov2 batch converter, because I'm still battling with the low limit on the number of subcategories that can be combined when downloading TT .ov2 POIs.

I didn't realise this was still an issue. How many and which SubCats are you trying to download?

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get 30 in a Combined File now. Smile

I haven't tried all the Categories. Shocked

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to download Accommodation and get 'server error' unless I remove some of the sub-categories. And then it's hit and miss on the number of sub-categories I can combine without an error - it doesn't seem to be a predictable number.

It's this continuing problem with the POI database for .ov2 files which has made me try downloading as Garmin .csv and try various translation programmes or web sites, none of which has worked satisfactorily, either choking on 'big' files greater than about 500 Mb (that's not big these days though) or giving some other form of error.

Hence my repeated pleas to see if this problem can be fixed, one way or another. For example, offering 'the whole lot' of UK POIs as a pre-compiled file, combining the sub-categories, if the limit of sub-categories can't be fixed when generating on the fly.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download in NAVMAN ASC format (combine subcategories into category file) and then batch convert all to ov2 using POIEdit (General Ascii - Tomtom ov2)

This may help as a work around
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
I've tried to download Accommodation and get 'server error' unless I remove some of the sub-categories. And then it's hit and miss on the number of sub-categories I can combine without an error - it doesn't seem to be a predictable number.

It's not just an issue with the number of sub-categories as such. Another issue is the sheer number of locations that need to go into the ov2 file. OV2 files are not 'plain text' there are lots of fancy things that make them - in basic terms the whole area covered by the POIs is broken down into squares and each poi has a reference within that square etc. More POIs, and also more spread out pois, results in a lot longer processing time (hence csv/asc works fine - less processing required). Couple that with the number of individual processes to concatenate the subcategory and name for each and every POI and you suddenly find that, for a web-server, it uses a hell of a lot of resources. Your computer wouldn't care about 600MB of RAM being used for a few seconds because it wouldn't be doing anything else. But on a web-server it means that the other 1,000 or so visitors on the site at that time have 600MB less RAM available. If other users are download such large quantities then that can quickly use up all the RAM on the server. So we have to limit the amount of RAM that the scripts can use. On our new server this has been massively increased which is why you can now download more in one go.

However, I'll try look through the code to see if there's anyway we can optimise the process.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation, clears up a lot of things I'd never understood. Thumbs Up
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the useful responses.

Rick-uk, when you carry out this process, does it 'mangle' the TT POIs in any way (eg corrupts the name) which is the problem I've had recently converting from Garmin? Thanks for the tip, I might well try this.

MaFt, thanks for the explanation of what's involved and I do realise the CPU/memory overhead implications. I would be happy to download in a different format if I could find a reliable converter (not so easy when running a Mac, it's a pain to have to re-boot into Windoze for just one simple task). And POIEdit has had one epic fail so far, so I'm a bit stuck regarding the optimum strategy.

Hence the possibility of an option offering a 'complete' zip file for .ov2 which has all the POIs, with combined sub-categories. For most devices, memory is plentiful (internal or SD) and even the total set would be only a few Mb. This would only need a one-off compilation, repeated as POIs update (less than once a day?). This might be a popular option and actually reduce server load if lots of people are happy to have 'the lot'.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you want to waste space with POIs for America though? Or would you expect different countries?

What about people near the France/Belgium border? Would they want just the French POIs? Or the Belgian ones? Or both? What about sub-categories like McDonalds - they'd end up with 2 McD's files - one for Belgium, one for France.

Basically, it's not as simple as it sounds - although I appreciate your suggestions!

As for the updates; submissions are usually processed as they come in. That could be 100 in a day, or it could be none. To have to create the files manually in all the different formats for each update would be a huge, boring task... So, personally, I can't see it happening.

However, I *will* look at the code to see if it can be optimised a bit.

Also, have you tried using WINE for running some windows .exe's on the Mac? Crossover is a handy app sometimes for things like that - saves having to reboot to Windows. Or if you get Paralells (about £45) then you can run your bootcamp windows installation from within OSX without needing to reboot.

MaFt
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt - I was only thinking of the UK .ov2 complete set option, which might prove to be the most popular, given the sub-category limit problem. And once a day would be more than sufficient.

I've tried Parallels for the Mac, but my experience hasn't been great - I found it desperately slow and buggy, at least on my particular Mac OS and WinXP combination.

Many applications which claim (or others claim for them) to run under WINE don't do very well at all - TYRE is one example, which I'd just love to be able to run without re-booting to Boot Camp/Windoze.

But I very much appreciate the scale of the task and your efforts to improve things.[/i]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we made a UK one then soeonemn. From another country would want one the another then another.... Lol

As for parallels, what set up are you using? I use parallels to run a VM of Windows XP and it works fine even just 'giving' it 1gb ram. This is on my 2006 MacBook pro running OSX Lion. It's maxed out at 3gb ram so it's not exactly high-specced. Apple won't even let me run Mounting Lion on it :/

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: