Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Maps Get Waze Traffic Data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Maps Get Waze Traffic Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Google Maps Get Waze Traffic Data Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
In a recent blog post Google have announced that Waze traffic reports are now being pushed out to the Google Maps apps for both Android and iOS.

When a Waze user in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, France, Germany, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Switzerland, UK or the US reports construction or a traffic incident then this will also appear in the Google Maps apps.

It was only a couple of months ago that Google bought Waze and this is the first public display of the acquisition. In addition to the upgrade to Google Maps, Waze users can now make use of Google's satellite view and StreetView when editing maps in Waze. The Android and iOS Waze apps have also received Google search capabilities for finding POIs to drive to.

Source: Google Maps Blog

email icon
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Wase Traffic system work? Does it really depend on users MANUALLY reporting a traffic jam or roadworks? Sad

Can't see that working very well....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
How does the Wase Traffic system work? Does it really depend on users MANUALLY reporting a traffic jam or roadworks? Sad

Can't see that working very well....

Yes - but it does actually work quite well.

MaFt
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shame that Google's latest maps app for Android is so hopeless, then. All very well having improved traffic information, but they have removed this from the Navigation view in the mapping app, so you don't get to know what's up ahead.
Sallet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras Reply with quote

Where is Waze getting its speed camera data from? If not from us, is there any likelihood that we will be able to add them ourselves any time soon? Should I take this up with Waze?

So many questions, so little time!

Nick
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed cameras Reply with quote

Sallet wrote:
Where is Waze getting its speed camera data from? If not from us, is there any likelihood that we will be able to add them ourselves any time soon? Should I take this up with Waze?

So many questions, so little time!

Nick

User-submitted, same as their traffic data.

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a fan of Waze routing for some time but, living in rural Spain, I never really had the chance of testing out the traffic part.

I'm currently in South London and I must say that I am very impressed with Waze, for routing and for traffic avoidance.

I used to live in S.London and had a daily commute to Hertfordshire. I had various routes for different times of the day. Recently I have needed to get to Luton Airport from Croydon and into Central London. Waze has directed me onto the old Rat-Runs I used to use avoiding traffic where ever possible.

A few Sundays ago I needed to get from Brixton to Dartford. The main roads were gridlocked. Waze routed me around the congestion wherever possible. I spent no more than a hundred metres or so in traffic a couple of times when it was impossible or impractical to avoid.

On another occasion I was following my brother from Kent to Essex. He had bought a new SatNAv and was keen to try it out. I dutifully followed him with both my Android Waze and TT940 (With RDS-TMC) switched on. Both my devices literally shouted at me to change route to avoid roadworks on the A13. Like a fool I ignored them and followed my brother into a 40minute traffic jam. Needless to say his new SatNav wasn't either TT or Waze based.

Also, since the acquisition by Google, Waze's Drive to "Search" function is very impressive. Never having had the TT Live services I cant make any comparisons to what it USED to be but I doubt that it could have been any better than the current Waze/Google combo.

Looks like I have sold my soul to Google after all!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

It's not just manual, no - Waze detects average speeds from people using the client. Users can also submit manual reports, but that's not the main way it works.

Try Waze, it's good (and free!)! Very Happy

elljay, used to use TomTom for years
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame it users your data, unless you have unlimited data from your provider.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jowett69 wrote:
shame it users your data, unless you have unlimited data from your provider.

That's one of the prices you pay for a 'free' app.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: