Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - smartphone vs garmin for example
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

smartphone vs garmin for example

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2e0sja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: smartphone vs garmin for example Reply with quote

ok hi all, new to here, hope to find this site useful as u all do.
thinking of buying a gps eg garmin or whatever, but i have a smart phone so is there any diff perhaps some of u experienced guys can help me on this.
hope to here soon
ajs
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it all depends upon what you are going to use your SatNav for. If you envisage lots of long distance driving to unknown places I would say that a dedicated SatNav is worth it's weight in gold. However, if you are mainly going to be driving locally with just the occasional trip further afield I would consider that an app for your smartphone is a good starting point.
You can always buy a SatNav later if you find the app limiting.

EDIT - QED. posted this with my smartphone. It worked, spelling was awful. Editing was a nightmare. A PC would have been easier all round.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would day that it silk depends upon what you are going to use your SatNav for. If you envisage lots of long distance driving to unknown places I would say that a dedicated# is worth it's weight in gold. However, if you are mainly going to be driving mainly locally with just the occasional trip further afield I would consider an app for your smartphone is you starting point.
You can always buy a SatNav later of you find the app limiting.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it posts twice as well Ali Shocked
2e0sja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: smartphone vs dedicated gps Reply with quote

sorry i didnt be do a explain properly, i meant i love gadgets and may do a bit of geocache or two,,,so also is a dedicated gps much better than an app on a smartphone , i have downloaded gps essentials to phone,which seems quite good, i also use aprs as i am a ham radio user,but use the 3g network for that
cheers ajs
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of research as I have a Garmin Nuvi and also an Android phone and an Android tablet.

I've ended up with Navigon and Sygic on the Androids and I currently prefer Navigon.

However - the big make or break in my view is how visible the Android screen is in daylight.

In my car the tablet was fine as long as my wife was not in the passenger seat and causing a reflection. A matte screen cover solved this problem.

But I really struggle seeing Navigon on my Samsung S4 phone even with a matte covering.

Garmin is more like e-ink (think Kindle as opposed to iPad). You can see it in bright light. I spent some time looking for e-ink Android devices with built in GPS and found nothing.

So, Navigon and Sygic will get you where you want to go fine on an Android device. Just as well as a dedicated Garmin will do. But whether you can actually see the screen depends entirely on where you intend to use it.

Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the PGPSW forum,

Personally I think a dedicated Sat-Nav is far better than an app.

I must admit that I only have Sygic on my smartphone and a tablet, but it's a nightmare when they update which is quite often, have to download the map and sometimes a new app version which seems to take ages Shocked

Loading poi's is far easier to a dedicated Sat-Nav as well Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Loading poi's is far easier to a dedicated Sat-Nav as well Laughing

But on a smartphone you can just go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mobilepoi and get an up to date list of POIs around you (or in a certain town etc) and then, once found, click a link to open it in your navigation app of choice.

No need to upload and make sure you're up to date ;)

MaFt
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"but it's a nightmare when they update which is quite often, have to download the map"

Nightmare ?

I'm going to Italy on Wednesday. Yesterday afternoon I put the Italian maps for both Navigon and Sygic on my tablet. It probably took about five minutes a time with an average speed wifi. Not a nightmare scenario in my home.

With regard to the apps my Androids are set to do that in the background when they become available.

Tony
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
"but it's a nightmare when they update which is quite often, have to download the map"
That's because they have been known to update the map and the old maps would not work with the new version. I had to D/L the WEurope set. As you sat. a nightmare. Having said that, there was a UK map update a few days ago that was only a few megs and it downloaded and updated v quickly.
What Ps me off is that I delete all the unwanted languages etc. and they just stick them back on your device next update. They don't seem to realise that because I have the European maps, I don't necessarily want all the voices etc. in foreign to go with them.
avarob89
Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Garmin was inefficient and got me lost! Reply with quote

Google maps on my Iphone has been more reliable than the Garmin sat nav I used to have.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer my Garmin ... horses for courses etc

My phone also has a camera that's fine for the occasional use, but I prefer my camera when doing anything serious Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my old HTC One m7 with CamerAlert but it used to heat up so much due to the constant GPS I stopped using it. Can't have done it much good as it sometimes was almost too hot to hold after only half an hours use. Other than that it was perfectly OK.

My Garmin 2599 has been faultless.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still happy with Navigon on a Samsung 7.7

I have made the map bigger on the Samsung by rooting it and using Xposed to increase the map and instructions.

I'm considering trying the Samsung S2 8 inch tablet as it may be faster. Just a matter of finding one at the right price on eBay.

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: