Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Truvelo d-cam
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Truvelo d-cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Truvelo d-cam Reply with quote

I have been out and about in Huddersfield today and spotted a new camera type object. Further research has identified it as a Truvelo D-Cam. It looks to work from in road sensors and has sensors for both lanes. I wonder if it can cope with vehicles travelling in either direction. Does anyone know? Also
these things are not easy to spot especially if approaching from the rear as it is grey on this side. Not very large from the front either.
Check out this link for a photo
http://www.truvelouk.com/products/d-cam-speed-red-light-camera/#!prettyPhoto[/img]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've just upgraded a few in Bradford to the Truvelo-D. As a camera they ARE capable (and, more importantly, Type-Approved) for font and rear photos for vehicles heading towards and away from the camera. The key thing to look out for is if the piezo strips in the road are on both sides. The new ones in Bradford ARE and I have now changed them in the database to being reversible (i.e. 2-way).

If the ones in Huddlefuddle have strips on both sides then they will be both ways. I suspect they will be as it's the same cash-mongers, erm, I mean Safety Camera Partnership, as ours ;)

Bascally they have double the 'trap' locations simply by upgradinig the cameras to go both ways.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ole Uddersfield, catching up with the digital age. They'll be getting computers next!

Seriously though, Truvelo cameras have been around for ages - see the camera types shown on the camera submission page, and mounting posts at the bottom of that page (Posts made by Crown in Portishead, Bristol, this one is at Bracknell).

MaFt I thought Truvelos were always bi-directional - i.e. could be changed by internal switch from forward to rearward - but a nice man had to go change the switch and the article still says "either" direction, not "both".
Quote:
All systems also deliver a choice of front or rear photography

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Seriously though, Truvelo cameras have been around for ages

Truvelo are a company, and not just a camera 'type'.

The Truvelo-D are more like the 'StreetScene' cameras. Here's one: http://www.truvelouk.com/_images_products/2/full/2.jpg

DennisN wrote:
MaFt I thought Truvelos were always bi-directional - i.e. could be changed by internal switch from forward to rearward - but a nice man had to go change the switch and the article still says "either" direction, not "both".
Quote:
All systems also deliver a choice of front or rear photography

Yes, BUT for each direction they need the piezo strips on each side of the road.

The old 'Truvs' around West Yorks only had the sensor strips on one side of the road (so they were only used for single direction - even if they were physically capable of being used either way). These new upgrades (costing £8,000 each taken from speed awareness course income (so sayeth the local rag)) have sensors on both sides so are actually trapping vehicles in both directions. Not sure about the Huddlefuddle ones but the Bradford ones have, so far, replaced the a few of the older gatso's as opposed to our newer truvelos.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streetview - 876 and 956 ???

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Yes, BUT for each direction they need the piezo strips on each side of the road.
When you say 'each side of the road', do you mean each side of the camera in which the cam has to be reversed (like the traditional reversible), or each side of the road in which the camera traps either approaching or from behind?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can potentially have up to 4 sets of piezo strips - each side of the camera and both sides of the road. This give 4 separate points at which a camera can record a speeding vehicle. There are many existing Truvelos with this number of strips around.

For an example, have a look at Google Streetview for the one in Farthinghoe, Northants - co-ordinates 52.05285,-1.21791.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Streetview - 876 and 956 ???

876 - the sensors are on the 'wrong' side of the marker lines. so that one us not 'reversible' (bi-directional). The vehicle needs to hit the sensor strips then the camera takes the photos while it is on the marker lines. Vehicles going west would pass the marker lines before hitting the sensor strips.

Same goes for 956. The new ones in Bradford have the sensors on either side of the marker lines. So whichever side of the road you are on you hit the sensors first.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to reverse the direction for 956 - of all the many times I've travelled along there, the camera has always faced the direction showing in Streetview, i.e. facing East to trap oncoming traffic - the piezo strips are east of the marker lines too (for the "traditional" Truvelo operation, against oncoming traffic).

However, are you saying that the Bradford ones always trap both directions "simultaneously", i.e. without a nice man going there to change the settings?

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You need to reverse the direction for 956 - of all the many times I've travelled along there, the camera has always faced the direction showing in Streetview, i.e. facing East to trap oncoming traffic - the piezo strips are east of the marker lines too (for the "traditional" Truvelo operation, against oncoming traffic).

Done

DennisN wrote:
However, are you saying that the Bradford ones always trap both directions "simultaneously", i.e. without a nice man going there to change the settings?

Yes, that's what I understand to be the case.
mikeyorkie10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Truvelo d-cam Reply with quote

I live in Hudds and a Gatso has been upgraded to Truevelo D on Manchester road. It seems to have an associated pole with and Amber coloured light - is this linked to the Truevelo in some way?? Do these work at night?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bradford ones have also just had the amber light added. I *think* it is to illuminate the area when taking photos but without blinding the drivers.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: