Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic. Better navigation or simply more bells and whistles?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic. Better navigation or simply more bells and whistles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Sygic. Better navigation or simply more bells and whistles? Reply with quote

I am not sure whether PocketGPSWorld will want to carry this thread.

Accordingly I will not be offended if a moderator chooses to delete it.

I'm an Android tablet user and have been running Sygic and Navigon alternatively to see how they compare. Navigon do not provide a manual and provide support and advice through an FAQ based web site.

Sygic have a manual that is desperately out of date and through a forum and threads.

There is a thread running at the moment:-
http://tinyurl.com/nmc9a7l

The penultimate message at the moment (above mine) claims that Sygic only makes money out of new customers. Supporting existing customers is thus not nearly as cost effective as adding more bells and whistles to attract new ones.

My experience of getting help has been generally disappointing - and it seems that I am not on my own.

Make of it as you will. Costwise Sygic and Navigon are pretty similar - and petty cash compared with what you pay at the petrol pumps these days. But with Navigon you have a project backed by Garmin - with Sygic, well you tell me!

Tony
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their business model should be not to make money from new users, what on earth would you expect it to be? At least they are not continually removing features from their S/W that were once working pretty good and used by users like at least one other major provider that I can think of.

In the new beta, have they fixed the display of their speed cams which they broke in the last update? I had to remove their speedcam file from my device to stop a blank square hide the PGPSW cams.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If their business model should be not to make money from new users, what on earth would you expect it to be?"

If I wanted to make a quick buck and then run I'd concentrate on what attracted new users and ignore what kept them using the software.

If I wanted to build a business that I might ulitmately sell on I'd concentrate on building my customer base of satisfied users. I certainly would work to minimise the number of users who say their concerns are being ignored. I would avoid giving my customers the feeling that they were being ignored.

Two business adages:-

"It costs less to keep a customer than to create a new one"

"Tne customer is always right"

Overnight a message came up on the Sygic forum suggesting a GPS system I had never heard of until now. Sygic should not want their forum to uses as an advertisement for the competition - why don't they show a presence and do something about it?

'nuff said.

Tony
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
'nuff said.
Yep. I'll go along with that. If their forum is telling people about a 'better' alternative, then there must be something not as good as it could be. Having said that, they do claim over 30M users. This is probably downloads and presumably does not fully accurately reflect 'users'.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sygic. Better navigation or simply more bells and whistl Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:

My experience of getting help has been generally disappointing - and it seems that I am not on my own.

In my experience that statement applies equally to TomTom & CoPilot, I've not had happy experiences dealing with any of them.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Having said that, they do claim over 30M users."

At, say, £35 a sub that means they have netted over a hundred million.

Here we are saying they are not smart!

"In my experience that statement applies equally to TomTom & CoPilot, I've not had happy experiences dealing with any of them."

Navigon do reply, but it does take time. My experience with all sorts of software is that, as long as they have an active user forum, the forum is the place to get a quick reply - from other users. We live in a user help user community now. Sofware developers don't have the resoource to service all their customers a lot of the time. Luckily other users fullfill that role.

Tony
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they do have an active user forum which they seem to pretty much take no notice of when known problems with the software are discussed. Sygic are noticed by their absence.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic have always answered my queries and yes there are some issues with the app, but isn't there with a load of others.

I would have gone Navigon, but the app is expensive compared to Sygic and it uses the Navteq maps which also has it's limitations and missing roads (roads that have been there for the last 10 years that I know of).

For me the app works, yes the text input should use any keyboard, they need to fix the poi images, it should allow import of directions from google and it definitely should allow other cloud storage locations, as linking to dropbox is poor and you could lose all your settings, poi and favourites.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
Sygic have always answered my queries
That's also my experience
Quote:
and yes there are some issues with the app, but isn't there with a load of others.
That is fairly obvious, especially all the threads here on the shortcoming of the later TT devices.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: