Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some depressing lists - What's been dropped in new models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some depressing lists - What's been dropped in new models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find this on the list, but as a relative newcomer to TomTom products I'm not sure it's a change or not....

When I make a map correction on my 550 Live I get asked if the correction is just for the 550, or whether I want to share it with other Mapshare users.

BUT.... If I make a map correction on my wife's Via 130 I don't get the option to keep the change only on the device, and the correction is automatically added to the Mapshare uploads.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list, however probably not yet complete, of the features I have lost when upgrading from a Go 1005 to a Go 600:

2D view no longer auto-zooms to keep the remaining part of the route in full screen.

Start-up favourites list no longer available.

Favourites and POIs have been merged into "Places".

Can no longer hide POI/Favourites ("Places" now) on the map.

Map not updateable, even though I have lifetime map updates included.

Custom POIs cannot be added.

No route summary available.

No traffic summary available.

Traffic incident scroll-through gone.

Custom colour scheme upload no possible.

Speed camera reporting system gone. (Not that they take any notice anyway)

MapShare still works but changes cannot be shared.

Progress, or another device launched before its ready?
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, another loss on current 500/600 models is the ability to navigate to coordinates. This is a big loss for me as many of the locations i visit can only be found using them.
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennisf wrote:
Hi Andy, another loss on current 500/600 models is the ability to navigate to coordinates. This is a big loss for me as many of the locations i visit can only be found using them.

When will the people that design these things understand that not everywhere has a postal address and latitude and longitude is the ONLY way to reach some destinations.

Some examples: Construction, Farming, Forestry, Nature Reserves, Churches, Cemeteries, Beauty Spots, "Lovers Lane", etc., etc., etc.

Paul
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulWH wrote:
dennisf wrote:

When will the people that design these things understand that not everywhere has a postal address and latitude and longitude is the ONLY way to reach some destinations.

Some examples: Construction, Farming, Forestry, Nature Reserves, Churches, Cemeteries, Beauty Spots, "Lovers Lane", etc., etc., etc. Paul

Is it that TomTom don't understand or they simply don't care? I suspect it's the latter!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Is it that TomTom don't understand
Surely they must. They have been in the game long enough and had loads of adverse comments on their support forum.
Quote:
or they simply don't care?
Ah Ha. I think you have it.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Is it that TomTom don't understand or they simply don't care? I suspect it's the latter!

I suspect it is being driven by marketing. Go out on the street and ask the typical user and they haven't a clue what is good and what isn't, but whizzy looks nice, and having to enter all those numbers looks so hard. And where would I ever get those numbers from anyway? I'd rather prod the screen and say "take me there". The research is foolproof - that's what everyone says.

That everyone is an idiot should be known the the management of TomTom, and they should be working out how to make those things easier and not just remove them. TomTom KNOW the capabilities, the key is to marry them to easy to use.

I think the overall direction with the new devices is exactly right, but they need the underlying strengths too. I am not at all sure that they will manage to add them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
PaulWH wrote:
dennisf wrote:

Some examples: Construction, Farming, Forestry, Nature Reserves, Churches, Cemeteries, Beauty Spots, "Lovers Lane", etc., etc., etc. Paul

C'mon people! Surely this is what the new tap and go thing is about - you poke your finger at a field and say Go there, innit? (Subtle).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever used the TomTom Latitude / Longitude once and that was a good few years ago, my daughter was camping in North Wales & she sent me the coordinates from her TomTom so that I could find the campsite - when I entered them into my TomTom I was pointed to somewhere in the middle of the Irish Sea. Shocked Something instinctively told me this might be wrong, so she double checked & sent them again, with the same result - that was my first & last foray into the world of 'Navigate to coordinates' Rolling Eyes

If I'd driven off the end of Llandudno Pier, do you think I could've blamed my Sat Nav for misdirecting me? Laughing

Last edited by IanS100 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get your Easts and Wests mixed up? Or possibly the units of Lat/Lon?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Did you get your Easts and Wests mixed up? Or possibly the units of Lat/Lon?

I've no idea what went wrong, I checked her sat nav when I found her and entered exactly the same coordinates from hers into mine but it still directed me to the Irish Sea Embarassed
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to buy a new unit having had a Live XL for three years or so, I have some questions about a few of these things.

"Backups not possible. "

Does that mean you can't do a full transfer of the whole file structure to your PC? Or is it the "bespoke" backup through Home (or whatever) that's not available?

"Traffic incident scroll-through gone."

That sounds like TomTom just gives you an aggregate traffic delay and doesn't let you distinguish between, or even view, the individual incidents. Is that right?

"No route summary available"

Not sure which bit this is - the summary screen that came up after routing and was accessible from the info bar? How do you get an overview of the time and distance of the route?

"Custom POIs cannot be added."

So stuff like "McDonald's Europe" files (or whatever) can't be uploaded?

"Map not updateable, even though I have lifetime map updates included."

Wuh?? Shocked Smile

Finally, one of my own...

Can you "plan a route"? As in, one that doesn't start from where you currently are?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has evolved and we need to make clear the original list was about the "NAV3" models (the Go1000/1005, VIA range and Start 20/25 + 60)

The latest list concerns the latest "NAV4" models that have been released in the last month or so.

Backups (as in copying everything to your PC for safety) have not been possible since NAV3 and are not possible in NAV4 either. However, there are automatic emergency recovery routines for the software and your maps and any other subscriptions are always available for re-downloading now.

Traffic incidents scroll-through - No you are mistaken where you say they may have aggregated all the incidents, that's not so. You still see each individual incident on the traffic bar, and it also tells you how long each queue is. What has gone is the ability to have full-screen descriptions of each incident on seperate pages.

No Route summary - You still get the overall time and distance for the route (and with NAV4 you actually get better info about any waypoints you've added). What you don't get is the old options to view the route as text or images. You can still do a route demo.

Custom POIs cannot be added - On NAV3 models you CAN. On NAV4 models SO FAR, YOU CAN'T.

Map updates - On NAV3 you can, not sure about NAV4 yet as there have been no new maps since the release date. But as they use the same MYTomTom interface for updates, I don't see why it should be a problem.
EDIT: Map updates DO work on the NAV4 models, but for some reason they are appearing very late compared to those for other models.
v910 maps only appeared recently and v915 (which has just been released for other models), will not be ready for the NAV4 devices until mid September.

Advance route planning - On NAV3 - yes. On NAV4 no, not so far.

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, really appreciated. One or two of those would *nearly* be a deal breaker except for the fact that they don't seem to be available anywhere else either. After a bit of testing I'd say IQ routes and (HD) Traffic still mean I'll be getting a TT.

Just a shame they seem to have a delight in removing useful stuff...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: