Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly shouldn't happen. Note that the map appears to go 'grey' if it switches to the traffic map, at least it does on my 1490. If you were zoomed in at the time it's possible that was it, although from your description I suspect not Crying or Very sad
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
That certainly shouldn't happen. Note that the map appears to go 'grey' if it switches to the traffic map, at least it does on my 1490. If you were zoomed in at the time it's possible that was it, although from your description I suspect not Crying or Very sad

Indeed I wasn't manually zooming at the time. Here is another forum mentioning the same thing and that poster tried 2 units already.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?39258-garmin-nuvi-3598lmt-d-help&p=186234#post186234

I am fairly convinced it is a firmware issue, and the fact that it is generally being described in the context of the 3598 rather than 3597 may suggest a programmatic/multi-tasking issue to do with the Digital Traffic system. I may try a journey with traffic disabled and see if it makes any difference. For example it may be that if it is trying to read traffic at the same time as the auto-zoom is happening on the maps (I think it was changing zoom while driving at the 2 times this happened), one disrupts the other....
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did it again (maps turning grey) on one journey with the taffic cable. But did not do it when it wasn't connected on the next journey. So armed with this information I then called Garmin. They just kept insisting it was faulty and they wanted me to swap the device at Halfords.

Of course I had little choice but to do that, so as I drove past Halfords I swapped it over with another one. I will do a test on this one but I am not expecting it to be different.

On a sidenote, this unit also had a 4GB memory card already inserted on it. However Garmin Express played nicely this time, and installed the 2014.10 maps without fuss on the main memory (100MB left free on the device).
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... seems like either Garmin or Halfords are installing cards then, never seen any mention of it though (apart from here).
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3598 Reply with quote

I have one comment and one problem.

I have just downloaded and installed the full set of USA maps on the 4Gb memory card without any problems. Initially when I started, the website stated there was not enough memory on the device and then gave the option of installing the maps on the SD card. It worked fine and I am currently using the device in the US.

I cannot pair the device with my Iphone 5 but can pair easily with either of my iPads! My Iphone can "see" the Nuvi and the Nuvi give me a code which is seen by the Iphone but pairing fails each time. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I have paired my Iphone with my car and other devices without any issues before. I have deleted these pairings just to see if that would work, but alas it does not.
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: 3598 LMT-D Speed cam loading. Reply with quote

I've just got mine this evening, what do I need to load the speed cam database onto the 3598LMT-D, POI Loader can't see my device yet, also what format do I need the cameras to be in.

Thank you.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but you may need to set your Garmin to mass storage mode to enable POI editor to see it. To do that:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: voice recognition Reply with quote

Thank you, another problems that have shown up are not being able to speak an address or location, some of the voice commands work OK but when I ask it to find an address, town, junction or place it reports -

"THIS FEATURE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR UNITED KINGDOM IN BRITISH ENGLISH"

My neighbour has the 3597 and his voice commands are now doing the same as mine whereas they worked previously which seems indicative of a software problem.

When Garmin Express opens it constantly reports that Nuvi 35x7 Language Text (1.40) update is available, I do not know how many times I have installed it but it wont clear.

Not a very good show from Garmin for there Flagship model.

Can anyone help with these matters too.
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Poi's Speed Cameras etc. Reply with quote

Another question and hopefully the last about the nuvi 3598 LMT-D-EU

I have downloaded the Speed Camera Database, Poi's, WAV voices and High Def Icons and opened them as I would for the retired Garmin 7200, 1490T, 3590 and 660 but with the addition of Sox. I then used POI Loader to install them to the unit, the program confirmed installation but no show on the screen, I then installed them onto the 16Gb Micro SD card but still no show.

Has anyone managed to install these and get them going on this device.

Thank you.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the camera files sorry, I just use the basic ones on my 1490 Smile

There's a bug in Express hence the continued reporting of some updates.

As for the voice commands, I believe you need both the language and text files both set to English, see this Garmin FAQ for more info

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000%7D
Intrakota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: 3598 LMT-D Reply with quote

I think Halfords will be getting this damned 3598 LMT-D back, it's a nightmare, should have stuck with my old Nuvi 660 a lifetime map update and the cameras from here.

Good luck to anyone who buys it, YOU'LL NEED IT.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the newer nuvis appeal to me, I'll be sticking with my 1490 (one of the last to use real routes) until it dies, if I could find another one somewhere I'd buy it as a spare.

Having said that many seem delighted by the 3597/98 Confused
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice commands works for me just fine on the 3598 including address searching...I don't get the error about British English not being available.

I did mention earlier in the thread though that you do get asked to update that text file 1.4 over and over. It only happened after the last map update, so I don't know what the deal is with that. But if you go into the Nuvi's menus and check the versions of everything you will see its already correct.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can confirm that the 3598 from Halfords does come with a 4GB micro SD included.

Not had any of the other issues (traffic or speed cam installation) reported here and very pleased with the unit. The halfords model used to say 3597 on the serial number but have now switched to 3598
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin 3598 from Halfords came with 8gb an no SD card, 3598 on the label - maybe the 3597s working as 3598s were early stock?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: