Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. No nuvi I've heard of comes with a card already installed, maybe you got a refurbished unit? Also if you had 3.01 Gb free at the start of the map update process it should have ample room for the new map, as the old one is deleted.

Ignore the language text reminder, things like that occur on some nuvis with the updater not realising you've already applied the update.

Back to the maps. To see what is installed you need to do two things to reveal the hidden .system folder which is where they reside. Set Explorer to show hidden AND system files:

and set your nuvi to mass storage and not mtp mode:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.

Once you can see what's in .system post back with the map files there and what's on the card (the .img files and any associated .unl and .gma files)
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thank you so much for your advice and help.

It doesn't seem like a refurbished unit in the sense that it is immaculate with no fingermarks (original sticker on screen) or packaging disturbed (only one serial number sticker on the box). On the Halfords UK website, a person reviewing the item they bought also commented that there was a 4GB micro SD card in their 3598. Nevertheless I was a bit surprised to see it there. My unit actually says 3598 on the sticker on the back of the unit, unlike many who have found it says 3597.

I used the tip you gave to connect in mass storage mode and I could see the 3D map component was still on the main device even though I had installed the main maps on the memory card. I removed the 3D map which meant there was 3.7GB free but still even the GarminMapUpdater said there wasn't enough space and that I needed 3.1GB (which of course makes no sense at all).

So then, having installed the maps on the memory card...I tried to copy the main map and 3D map onto the internal storage by drag and drop. It doesn't fit! This is partly related to the GUPDATE.GCD file. So I removed that and it fits with only 47MB left. If I try to reinstall the maps, it says there isn't enough space again. This is far too tight. When I first got the unit it said it had 200MB free. Then after the first batch of non map related updates this dropped to 100MB. SID folder is 984MB, ASR folder is 1.02GB and JCV folder is 447MB. Total storage capacity is 7.02GB

If you look at the size of the main European file it is now absolutely massive. I think they have started to put the 4GB cards in the units because they know these new European maps won't fit otherwise!

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the correct size for the full EU map. I only use a partial reload on mine, and just install Western Europe ... you might consider that?

The other option is to delete all the EULA, voice, text, vehicle and keyboard files that you don't want/need to help free up space.

Failing that I guess you're stuck with the sd card.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
That's the correct size for the full EU map. I only use a partial reload on mine, and just install Western Europe ... you might consider that?

The other option is to delete all the EULA, voice, text, vehicle and keyboard files that you don't want/need to help free up space.

Failing that I guess you're stuck with the sd card.

Thanks. So am I right to understand that all purchasers in Europe of the a 3597 or 3598 that didn't get a SD card bundled with it, would have had a shock when 2014.10 came out and that "by default" it wouldn't fit?

Interestingly the express updater wouldn't even let me install Western Europe but GarminMapUpdater will.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so. Maybe Garmin are indeed shipping them with sd cards now in recognition of that. To change map coverage in Express it's here:

jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. But Garmin Express won't let me install Western Europe. It is greyed out due to filesize. See the screenshot where you can see some lines are grey and some are black.

However GarminMapUpdater WILL let me install Western Europe. Sounds like the Express version is wrongly calculating free space

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange ... but then Express is still a bit of a 'work in progress' Smile

I continue to use MapUpdater Wink
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Strange ... but then Express is still a bit of a 'work in progress' Smile

I continue to use MapUpdater Wink

It gets weirder. I deleted all the downloaded maps on the PC, removed the 3D and main European img files off the 3598. Then I ran GarminMapUpdater, and it installed the whole European map! And now I have 140MB left spare on the main memory, where I couldn't even fit things in before doing a file copy. The IMG files are all the same size as previously.

I know where some of the space has come back....the smaller JCV file has disappeared (Express installs a large one and a small one, whereas mapupdater only installs the large one). But that only explains a bit of the returned space.

I am now wondering what is missing!! Laughing Out Loud
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run WebUpdater ... that should replace any 'missing' files.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Run WebUpdater ... that should replace any 'missing' files.

Oddly nothing appears to be missing. I do not know where that space magically came from. When the GarminMapUpdater was running, it was brutal and wiped directories and recreated them. Maybe there was some file hanging around in limbo...I don't know.

Either way, I will get on and drive at this point and see if everything appears to perform well. I wish I had known about the MTS mounting trick from the start and done a complete binary back-up of the original files.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly ... I suspect all will be well. Enjoy your new toy Very Happy

(PS Worth backing it up now)
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Quite possibly ... I suspect all will be well. Enjoy your new toy Very Happy

(PS Worth backing it up now)

Thanks again for the help.

I was playing around with the smartphone link software. I was curious about the PhotoLive camera option where you get to see real traffic images from cameras across the UK. But the smartphone link is offering me every subscription except this one. I see 3D traffic, parking, weather and speed cameras.....but the PhotoLive option isn't there! According to Garmin's website it should be.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about that one ... you may need to contact Garmin Customer Support unless someone else here can chime in and help.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Garmin. I was pleased to find it went through to a UK call center. They tried it there and found it was missing. They emailed me very quickly afterwards to say the PhotoLive service has been withdrawn temporarily due to problems with the coverage (only London is working at the moment). Once the motorway cameras are working again they will reintroduce it..... (no ETA)
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had my first couple of journeys with my 3598. On the whole I was impressed but I had a couple of catastrophic issues where the map suddenly became all grey except for the turn arrow. All the menus and other screens are absolutely fine when this happens, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. It's like it had problems loading some of the map at that moment in time. I have seen another reference on the forums to this issue. I had to pull to the side of the road and power it off and on again and then it would display correctly again. It happened twice..... If it keeps doing this it will have to go back unfortunately.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: