Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alerts whilst on the phone/iPhone Music issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alerts whilst on the phone/iPhone Music issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Alerts whilst on the phone/iPhone Music issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I have only recently tried the App so go easy with me! Am I right in thinking you get no Audio alert whilst you are on a phone call?

For me this is crucial as I often have long calls in the car, and this is precisely when I may not notice a camera coming up in a unfamiliar area.

I use a Parrot MKI9100 for Bluetooth calls and I also noticed that if I "Pause" on the Parrot stopping iPhone music playback to listen to the radio, it also stops the cameralert warnings until you restart the iPhone music again.

I was thinking that I could use Camalert on the iPhone if I bought a new TT600 which I cannot yet use the PGPSW database on as a workaround until TT get their fingers out and allow 3rd party POI's.

SDM197.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alerts whilst on the phone/iPhone Music issue Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
For me this is crucial as I often have long calls in the car, and this is precisely when I may not notice a camera coming up in a unfamiliar area.
Is this not precisely the reason that 'they' say that making phone calls whilst driving is dangerous because you (any driver) do not notice things that you should.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TGT,

Yes I agree, but the same happens when you are talking to a passenger in the car, maybe we should ban passengers too :-), or lighting a cigarette, or dropping a cigarette, I could go on.....

SDM197.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Wheres the edit button gone? Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT,

I meant M8TJT not "M8TGT" could not then edit post DOH!

SDM197.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@admin.
Why can we not edit posts in this and some other threads? Is it to make sure that it is full of mistakes.
@sdm.
No. Talking to a passenger is nowhere near as distracting as being on a phone. But they have already 'done' people for eating sat the wheel. When I drop my fag, I stop to find it Evil or Very Mad
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

@sdm.
No. Talking to a passenger is nowhere near as distracting as being on a phone. When I drop my fag, I stop to find it Evil or Very Mad

Depends on the passenger Smile

I am sure you do stop to find your fag, but many panic and cause accidents.

I do agree though that phone use ought to be banned entirely in vehicles, and I rely on my mobile for business. However the amount of people I see holding their phones and driving is alarming. I do comply with the law and use hands free.

The other thing you see is the most ridiculous positions people put their Sat Navs in, sometimes right in the middle of the screen, halfway up it! Or they will be operating it whilst driving, which technically you can also be done for operating a mobile device whilst driving.

We have digressed a little and I still don'y have my answer whether you can get alerts whilst a phone call is ongoing.

SDM197.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmon all you Fanboys. Answer the man instead of winding him up like I have done Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty certain you still get the alert - although it may be a bit quieter as it will be piped through the bluetooth the same as your voice call.

MaFt
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have now changed the audio on the cameralert app to use the phones speaker to see if that will make a difference, before I had it on the Music icon which is by direct connection (Cable) to the parrot via the dock/lightning adapter from the iPhone 5.

I did originally try the Bluetooth setting on the app that worked but only if I was playing music from the iphone, not when paused (on the parrot) and listening to the radio all alerts stopped, well apart from visual on the phone.

all suggestions and advice welcome,

thanks in advance,

SDM197.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I played around with the App and when the App is set to alert through the "♫" icon I get the alerts through the cars audio system which is connected by the Hard wire using the lightning connector to the parrot, although the Parrot also pairs with the phone on Bluetooth. However I do not get the alerts if the iPhone music is paused and the radio is on. Also I do not get audio alerts during a phone call. I noticed also that the app has to be force closed and then restarted to get the audio alerts back after a call, it only gives you a visual notification if it is not restarted.

I then tried the setting using the iPhone speaker and this worked when I had both the radio or the iPhone playing music, but as soon as you take a phone call, there are no audio alerts, just visual and only just the small notification bar at the top of any screen selected on the iPhone. Also I noticed that even after the call was finished, to get audio alerts back you had to stop the app running by force closing it then restarting the app again like it had on the "music" option.

Finally I tried the "Bluetooth" icon which worked giving audio alerts over the radio and music playing on the iPhone. My Eureka moment was short lived however as again no alert whilst on a call, and also yet again no audio alerts after a call, the app had to be closed and restarted to resume audio alerts.

There is only one other way left to try, which would be to stream the audio via Bluetooth to the Parrot, then maybe the audio could get interrupted by the app and not cease after any calls.

I will try that then report back, at the moment the app is not working for me in a reliable manner, which is a shame as I was looking to use it in combination with a new TT600 for the speed camera warnings, as I don't "Ahem" trust the tomtom speed cameras!

I will report back after my final test,

Any suggestions welcome,

SDM197.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: