Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST *working* with other GPS hardware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST *working* with other GPS hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SmartST *working* with other GPS hardware Reply with quote

I haven't tried this myself, as the only GPS I have is the Navman3400, but I just saw the following in a usenet newsgroup and thought it might be of interest.... Don't blame me if it doesn't work or screws things up... I'm just the messenger !

Here's the contents of the newsgroup article.

"For those interested, I have found a way to run SmartST Pro with (theoritically) any NMEA gps unit that can be switched to 57600 bps :

-Step 1 : switch the baud rate of your GPS unit to 56700 using for instance WinFast Navigator

- Step 2 : Using a registry editor program, enter the following Keys/values :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active\40]

"PnpId"="NAVMAN"

"Name"="COM7:"

(change COM7: to the COM port where your gps is connected)

- Step 3 : start SmartST pro, and it will work! In the GPS status windows of SmartST, your GPS will be listed as GPS 1400.

The only problem is that after a soft reset of the PocketPC, all the "Drivers\Active\" registry tree is rebuilt and that you will need to re-enter the registry key."

As I said, I AM NOT the author of this... It's just something I stumbled across in a newsgroup and thought it might be of interest to someone...

Dave, please delete this if you think it's an unsuitable post for this forum.

Steve

scoobydoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SmartST *working* with other GPS hardware Reply with quote

Hi arthur

i have only one question. in which newsgroup did you read this ?????
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Don't know about the newsgroup but it was posted here on January 26th in this thread. I cannot confirm or deny if it works as I haven't tried it myself.
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

Can't remember the newsgroup, I was looking for something else using Google Groups and stumbles across it. Sorry for the dupe posting Dave... Repeat after me Steve, I must read previous posts....

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

No worries Steve, we don't mind duplicate posts of this nature, what we really hate is where someone will post 5 messages in the space of a couple of minutes in 5 different forums and each message is identical except for one or two characters. Unfortunately the only thing that does is annoy people reading them as they get the feeling they've replied to it, but aren't too sure, it also makes you think like many people have thought after they've posted the message that we've deleted replies to the message when we haven't, and it also annoys us as we're then spending more time reading the same posts where we could have been reading new posts.
scoobydoo
Occasional Visitor

hi all

today i got my emtac bluetooth gps receiver. and at first i tried to use smart st pro as described. I switched the gps to 57600 no problem and the comport ist COM8. i modified the registry. but i have no gps 1400 after starting the smart st pro soft. does anybody know where the problem is ???

thanks
scoobydoo
Occasional Visitor

ok i have it. but there is no further action of the gps unit.No sat fix

ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

I've just tried it myself for the first time, as I also got an EMTAC today!...

The above instructions do indeed work just fine. It took a bit of fiddling to get it into 56700, as it seemed to think it way, but it wasn't. I was seeing the same as you in your picture above.

I used the CRUX tool that comes with the EMTAC to do this, as WinFast didn't seem to be doing it right.

With the CRUX tool, I opened the connection at 4800, closed the connection, set it to 57600 and opened the connection again. I then exited CRUX and started it again just to check that 57600 was still selected and a signal was being received. I then shut it CRUX and fired up SmartST... Viola, lots of sats !

Steve
scoobydoo
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

i am very glad to show you that it really works.

wow thats cool

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Hey Scoobydoo,

Are you indoors????

You only have 4 sats fixed and a faily weak signal!!!!!

scoobydoo
Occasional Visitor

this picture was made indoors and the gps unit layed under a roof window. i tried it also in a car and the first minutes the signal went up and down but after a while i had always 4 to 6 sats
reaps2000
Occasional Visitor

Anyone got this working on a Leadtek 9531 yet?
scoobydoo
Occasional Visitor

@Arthur

just another question: do you have success at each

try to use the emtac with smart st pro.

i always do the same things you described but i have only sometimes success but that is not really reliable.

thx
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

Dunno... Only tried it a couple of times just for the hell of it. I use TomTom these days...

Steve
fysmd
Regular Visitor

Anybody got this to work with a TomTom GPS (is that the Leadtek, sorry - newbie here).

I have a Navman 3400 which doesn't work in one car so I use the TomTom GPS in that one. I'd like the choise of SW, regardless of which car I'm in...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: