Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inforad K1 - pgpsw database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inforad K1 - pgpsw database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Inforad K1 - pgpsw database Reply with quote

Hi does Inforad still use the pgpsw database under licence?
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still claim on their web site to be doing that but fact is it was shown some months ago that they are lying link as they tinker with it and introduce false (and painful warnings). Inforad do not respond to customer question querying those false warnings

Sadly the K1 is a waste of money if you use the M25. Mine has been in a drawer for ages.

IMHO it's a disgrace this site hasn't taken action against InfoRad and certainly should have edited the management posts advocating wasting money by buying the damn thingexample link
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
They still claim on their web site to be doing that but fact is it was shown some months ago that they are lying link as they tinker with it and introduce false (and painful warnings). Inforad do not respond to customer question querying those false warnings

Sadly the K1 is a waste of money if you use the M25. Mine has been in a drawer for ages.

IMHO it's a disgrace this site hasn't taken action against InfoRad and certainly should have edited the management posts advocating wasting money by buying the damn thingexample link

So your not happy with yours then ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
IMHO it's a disgrace this site hasn't taken action against InfoRad and certainly should have edited the management posts advocating wasting money by buying the damn thing example link

A disgrace? Really I think you're taking things a little far there! What action so you suggest we take? We licence our data for them to use and have no control over how they then use it on their products.

The link you have posted contains no untoward hard sell from us as far as I can see. At one pointy I commented:
Quote:
I still use mine regularly but struggle to love it.

As a business we are here to make money, to turn our noses up at potential business and refuse to licence the product would simply see Inforad turn to another supplier and inferior data.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Inforad K1 - pgpsw database Reply with quote

granite-silver wrote:

In answer to your question, Yes they do.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren this is what you wrote

Quote:
You could invest in an Inforad device. The K1 is small, cheap (£39.99) and they use our database under licence.

based on that I did and I suspect others did too not unreasonably assuming it was a direct match item for item. £40 for a piece of junk that deafened me with it's fantasy database based on yours but with idiot editings in it.

It was and is misleading. You should change it
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
It was and is misleading. You should change it

Nothing I said there is misleading, everything I said is accurate and I see no need to withdraw that comment or modify it.

There is nothing comparable at that price and whilst I'm no fan of the strident alert tones, others find it perfectly adequate within the limitations of a device that costs under £40.

However, I will put the points raised here to Inforad and ask them to comment.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that

I accept that it was accurate per se and you did not intend to mislead but 9 out of 10 reading it would assume the K1 used a copy of your database. In fact they appear to use your database as just one input.

Maybe I'll get the damn thing out and see if they still think the 70 mph A21 dual carriageway is 60mph, the variables on the SW M25 are set to zero etc etc.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
{SNIP} the variables on the SW M25 are set to zero etc etc.
I wonder what speed you would like them set to and why
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the false alerts I have encountered with my K1 are not, as far as I can ascertain, a problem with PGPSW's database or the way Inforad implement it. They're simply a result of the way the device works. Having no sense of route, it simply alerts to trap locations within a given radius. This results in many alerts that are for traps on adjacent roads, rather than the route being travelled. As Darren says, you have to accept the compromise in a unit that otherwise does a decent enough job for under forty quid.
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Inforad K1 - pgpsw database Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
granite-silver wrote:

In answer to your question, Yes they do.

Thank you for the info.

I do have one now and i'm happy with it Very Happy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am happy with mine and hope PGPS continues to provide the data base for it
Also the price of £40 with lifetime updates is a bit of a bargain if you ask me !! yes you do get the odd error but I do not know any type of device that is 100% correct with no bugs
paultim374
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was accurate per se and you did not intend to mislead but 9 out of 10 reading it would assume the K1 used a copy of your database. In fact they appear to use your database as just one input.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paultim374 wrote:
It was accurate per se and you did not intend to mislead but 9 out of 10 reading it would assume the K1 used a copy of your database. In fact they appear to use your database as just one input.
I think you've muddied the water a bit by retrieving a 3 year old thread! Inforad did use the Pocket GPS World database under licence, although they did appear to filter or modify it, and, as you say, they did appear to use other sources. (I say "appear" as I don't think there was any info forthcoming from Inforad.) However they no longer licence it. The Database download page states
Quote:
As of Jun 2012 InfoRad no longer use our database.
The Inforad website states that they produce their own database.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
phmode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Are Inforad still in business? Reply with quote

To muddy the water even further by responding about this device, does anyone know if they are even still in business?

I bought a K1 to use in the car which has Sat Nav built in with no means of adding the PGPSW database (or any other!). This device got me the PGPSW database, sort of, at a resonable price.

I use it rarely, and having just tried to update it for the first time in ages, it appears that the web updater service is down; 'Try again in a few days!' it says quite chirpily.

Any news on this?

Brian (who would love to do away with it but who has no other means of having his PGPSW database in the car; he still uses the Garmin on the bike and updates it every month)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: