Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomToms - Traffic Question?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomToms - Traffic Question?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spit_Fire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: New TomToms - Traffic Question? Reply with quote

Hi Smile

I'm looking at the new Range of TomToms (GO Series) avilable on the TomTom Site here - http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/go-series/index.jsp

Looking at the page it says the TomTom Traffic is now through your Phone, My Old TomTom (550) uses the inbuilt Sim Card to access the traffic information

Does this now mean that if i was to buy a new Go Model, i would need to carry my phone with me ?
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes unless you purchase a go x000 model
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT website offers the Go 6000 with the built in sim card. The complication seems to be that the data is supplied by 2G connection which appears to be being reduced as suppliers improve their 3G and 4G outputs. So the question is how long 2G wil be widely available TT has a disclaimer that they have no influence on the provision of 2G services. So the connection via mobile phone devices look more future proof. However the only smartphones that are compatible are iOS v6, android v4, or one specific Blackberry device.

Source TT Support.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 2G might be "phased out" in favour of 3 or 4G then why don't TT make there new models with built in 3 or 4G?

So will this mean the older models (I have a 540 live) may stop working if this happens?

There doesn't seem a lot of people so far on here with a new model as yet.
Thought there may have been many rushing to buy them.
But the lack of too many features most want I think most will not bother.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently moved over from a 1000 with Built in SIM, to a 500

The difference is Night and Day, The 500 connects instantly through the phone it has traffic data in seconds and it updates a lot quicker.

I am using an iPhone on "3" PAYG, the Bluetooth tethering uses almost no power unlike the wifi tethering, so you dont need to worry about excess battery drain, (I was worried I was going to have to leave my phone plugged in to the power in the car constantly but thats not so)

The 500 is a back to basics unit, which I fully support, I dont need or want all the bells and whistles I want a good reliable satnav..

I drive 7 or 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and in 3 weeks the unit has used 25mb of data according to my phone, so the data usage is minimal.

Only niggle at the moment are,

40Min Traffic Horizon!! - Come on we are paying for the data now so TomTom should give us a larger horizon or offer a user selectable range.

No way I would go back to a built in Sim unit now after having the 500 and connecting over High Speed Data via the phone, its a different world..

Also the fact that its not going to cost £47 a year in future is a bonus..
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,
I like the back to basics but I need my own poi as I have my customers on the unit.
I use a company phone and as such is for voice and text only.

If its that much better then would it be worth buying another sim to put into an other phone to pair up.

Never had a PAYG phone deal, what would the cost be for this setup?
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Thanks for the info,
I like the back to basics but I need my own poi as I have my customers on the unit.
I use a company phone and as such is for voice and text only.

If its that much better then would it be worth buying another sim to put into an other phone to pair up.

Never had a PAYG phone deal, what would the cost be for this setup?

Honestly its so much better it makes a world of difference, in my day job I make about 15 stops am out of the car for 10mins and then back in. With the 1000 I had to leave it running or the traffic would take an age to connect, with the 500 It turns off and on with the ignition, and within 5 seconds of coming on the Device is Connected to the internet bar comes up on the screen followed straight away by the traffic. Not just the traffic but the general interface speed of the unit, postcode or address entry is so much faster with no more double pressing or missed entries.

Shame you would have to use a second phone though, sort of defeats the object if you have to have a second device just for the data, although it you get a OVIVO sim card (Costs £15 for the sim, and then you get free data and calls for ever)!! put that in a cheap android handset and tether it that would work well

OVIVO Charge £15 to buy the SIM, then give you 500Mb a month, 150 Mins of Voice Calls and 200 Texts every month free no contract no catch no topup needed ever. So with the £15 for the sim and a £50 Cheap android handset just for the Data and as a backup personal phone would probably be an excellent solution (Google Ovivo Mobile for more info), I have been with them 12 months for a sim for my ipad and its a great service (For basically nothing)

The POI Thing, yep thats a pain at the moment, but should soon be resolved. Or so they promise.

Personally the 500 is the best TomTom for many years as far as I am concerned. The Screen layout and everything about it is just better. (And I am TomTom from right back to the Old XDA PDA Versions!!)
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sounds good, will look into the sim.
I use my own smartphone with the works sim as my work phone is basic.
But can use either phone.

don't know if the 6000 will be just as quick or still slower if using 2g?
Just wait and see for the poi as my 540 live is still valid until Jan 2014.

If the poi was sorted I would buy now really.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Thanks sounds good, will look into the sim.
I use my own smartphone with the works sim as my work phone is basic.
But can use either phone.

don't know if the 6000 will be just as quick or still slower if using 2g?
Just wait and see for the poi as my 540 live is still valid until Jan 2014.

If the poi was sorted I would buy now really.

Yeah, I looked at the Built in SIM option, but 2 things threw it out for me.

1: Its still 2G, which mean you are looking at an ever dwindling area of coverage as the networks have openly admitted they are switching the 2G Sites to 3G, and as I am hoping to get 3 to 4 Years out f the device I think the 2G service will be almost non existent by then

2: the 6 Series are too big to fit the Dash mount built into my car, (the 400 has the wrong connector) and the 500 is Just right with a bit of bodge work to fit my dash socket that supplies the unit with power without having to use a lead to the power socket.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
If 2G might be "phased out" in favour of 3 or 4G then why don't TT make there new models with built in 3 or 4G?

So will this mean the older models (I have a 540 live) may stop working if this happens?

Yep. Just like the twitter functions have now stopped working as TomTom haven't updated the software to use the new API.

For the new PNDs I mentioned to them at the launch that I thought it was a bad idea to use, IIRC, Bluetooth to connect to the device when WiFi hotspots are much more widely used on phones. You would also need to take into account that you may be charged extra for a 'tethering plan' on your mobile. I'm on Three's The One Plan which is their only plan that allows tethering so I'd be alright, but how many others would be caught out?

MaFt
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all Orange PM talk + data plans include tethering as standard

Most providers offer a tariff which includes this option for "free" and the volume of data the TomTom consumes is next to nothing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
uklee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Nww Tom Tom Traffic Question? Reply with quote

Spit_Fire wrote:
Hi Smile

I'm looking at the new Range of TomToms (GO Series) avilable on the TomTom Site here - http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/go-series/index.jsp

Looking at the page it says the TomTom Traffic is now through your Phone, My Old TomTom (550) uses the inbuilt Sim Card to access the traffic information

Does this now mean that if i was to buy a new Go Model, i would need to carry my phone with me ?

I had some concerns about connecting via my phone - please don't worry. I have a iPhone 5 and the TT unit as found the phone connection every time Ive used the unit without any issues. The traffic info load SO MUCH quicker via the 3G connection.

I alway have my phone with me so its really not a problem -i Thought it would be.

Lee
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I believe all Orange PM talk + data plans include tethering as standard

Most providers offer a tariff which includes this option for "free" and the volume of data the TomTom consumes is next to nothing

Hmm, beware though of what the actual tethering cost is. On my "business SIM only" plan, tethering is included, as much as I want, at £2/day. For occasional use, that is probably fine, but for regular use it would cost a fortune. Obviously anyone should check what their plan actually costs.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3's One Plan plus all Orange Data + Talk PM Plans now include Tethering plus the tether-charge up to and including your allowance

Sometimes it is worth updating your plan to a current one, as many of the current plans include it, where as older plans charged extra
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you would incur large roaming charges if you used it abroad.

When they get Itinerary Planning & the ability to use your own POIs I will seriously look at upgrading as my 740 has started switching itself off at the least opportune moments.

Go 740 Live
Go 600

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: