Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navfree and Cameralert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navfree and Cameralert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Navfree and Cameralert Reply with quote

I've searched the forum for an answer but Nav Free is too generic to find and answer

Does the Iphone App NavFree work with the Cameralert app or alternatively can someone suggest a free sat nav app for the Iphone that is compatible with the Cameralert app?

Iphone 4s

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience of the IPhone App. myself, but as far as I'm aware, the CamerAlert works as a separate application at the same time as any other Navigation App.
So I think it should be fine.

Hopefully someone with more intimate knowledge of the iPhone can confirm.....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "works with"?

CamerAlert will happily run in the background so you could say it works with any app. CamerAlert 'works with' email. :p

If you mean will the camera locations show up in the app itself, then the answer is no. CamerAlert is a standalone app. However, Sygic allows users to install their own POIs so you could download the database and install it via iTunes into the app and the icons can be displayed on the map.

MaFt
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been worded better, I shall try better next time Shocked

What I meant was did it integrate with the App and show up on the map like it does in my Tom Tom and clearly from your answer it doesn't.

I was confused by the mapping shown in the App Store as to exactly what Cameralert displays and where it gets it's mapping from? I now assume that if you are running a Nav software that Cameralert will pop up that Red warning bar and audibly announce the camera?

Since I am already a subscriber I guess easiest thing to do is install it. I assume that I have to contact you to have my linked Android phone removed before I can link the iPhone?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, which SatNav app are you thinking of including on your new smartphone? There are several apps available which will allow you to import the CamerAlert (PND) database so that they do show up in your NavApp (TT for both iOS & Android, Sygic for Android, probably others too?).

On my Android I have the PgpsW speed camera database loaded into my TT Europe app so that I can see the locations of the cameras in my TT maps (without alerts). I also have the CamerAlert app which runs in the background and "Pops Up that Red warning bar and audibly announce the camera". I think that this is the best of both worlds.

I believe that this is also possible in iOS although it may be a bit more difficult to achieve but you would need to read the relative posts for the most accurate information. Check out Sygic (and CoPilot?) too.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama978 wrote:
What I meant was did it integrate with the App and show up on the map like it does in my Tom Tom and clearly from your answer it doesn't.
CamerAlert the app doesn't integrate with TT and never has. CamerAlert the speed camera database did. It's the stupid idea of the 'powers that be' to give the iOs/android app the same name as the S/C database so it makes it more difficult to tell exactly what one's talking about. The only thing in common is that they all use the same camera data.
Alabama978 wrote:
I was confused by the mapping shown in the App Store as to exactly what Cameralert displays and where it gets it's mapping from? I now assume that if you are running a Nav software that Cameralert will pop up that Red warning bar and audibly announce the camera?
Correct in that assumption, but if you run the app in the foreground it can be set to download the map tiles and show the cams on its maps. The app has no navigation facility though.
Alabama978 wrote:
I assume that I have to contact you to have my linked Android phone removed before I can link the iPhone?
No, this is done 'in app' if you are already a subscriber
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama978 wrote:
...Since I am already a subscriber I guess easiest thing to do is install it..........
Probably correct.
Alabama978 wrote:
....I assume that I have to contact you to have my linked Android phone removed before I can link the iPhone?
Not necessarily. You are allowed three liked devices before it creates a problem. Sygic have a 7day free trial, so you may be able to run both smartphoes againt each other for a week before having to commit.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Just reread and saw that you had referred to NavFree i your original post. Please ignore both my previous posts. Ali. Embarassed
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: NavFree and CamerAlert - Success Reply with quote

Happy to report that NavFree and CamerAlert do "work" together Smile

Installation was a breeze, and set up very easy. CamerAlert fires up Navfree when started, and off you go.

It's a little early to report on how good NavFree is but after a short journey I can report that for a free App it has just about all the features you would want. There are paid add-ons which are offered and the obligatory advert at the bottom of the screen, but it can be removed by paying £1.99 so no big deal.

Linked the CamerAlert to my sub easily so I'm happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: