Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare - Add Roundabout?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare - Add Roundabout?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Mapshare - Add Roundabout? Reply with quote

Have TomTom made an alteration to the way the mapshare function works?

I recently tried to add a roundabout on my Go 550 Live, but the PND would not allow the change to take place, although it did allow a notification of the missing roundabout to be sent to TomTom.

I didn't think anything more of it until today when I tried to add a roundabout at a different location on my Go 550 map. Once again I wasn't allowed to make a change on my device, but a mapshare notification will be sent when I next connect to TomTom online.

I then tried to add a roundabout for the same location on my wife's Via 130, with exactly the same result. [The map on both devices is the UK&ROI].

Does this mean that the Mapshare function has been curtailed to some extent, or is this a glitch?

Has anyone else seen the same problem with their TomTom?

[Incidentally both the roundabouts I tried to add to my TT map are mini-roundabouts. I know that TT probably will not alter their maps, but it seems strange that I am now apparently prevented from even altering my own map].
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapshare - Add Roundabout? Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:
Have TomTom made an alteration to the way the mapshare function works?

I do hope not!

I don't have a roundabout that needs adding, but if you'd like to give the coordinates of one of yours I'd be happy to try adding it on my 720.
Samsung Galaxy S21
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7252/kw/mapshare/related/1

The Report other error menu provides a number of options for corrections, which do not take effect on your current map, but are reported to the map provider for verification.

Existing street
Allows you to do the following for streets that exist on your map:
Report streets that no longer exist
Report an incorrect street name
Report wrong or missing house numbers
Report wrong speed limits
Report wrong turns (i.e. if you are not allowed to turn left or right at a specific crossing)
Report wrong street type
Report a toll road
Report streets that are positioned incorrectly
Report mispronounced street names

Missing street
Allows you to add a new street to your map

City
Allows you to report the following:
Missing city
Wrong city name
Alternative city name

Motorway entrance / exit
Allows you to report new and incorrect motorway entrances and exits

Postcode
Allows you to change an incorrect postcode or add a new postcode if it does not yet exist on your map.

Roundabout
Allows you to add or remove roundabouts to / from your map.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge you never have been able to add a roundabout to your own map on the Device. Probably because of the all the 'bits' of data that would need to be updated.

I've never had a mini-roundabout accepted by TT at any time, although I've noted a few that are in their current mapping.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
To the best of my knowledge you never have been able to add a roundabout to your own map on the Device.

I've added loads of mini-roundabouts to many versions of the UK & ROI map but, as you say Richard, I've never had one accepted by TT.
Samsung Galaxy S21
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also added several mini roundabouts though again they are not added to the distributed updates. They don't show as a roundabout on the map but the instructions given are as if it were.

If adding more than one, you have to do them one at a time. There's a double mini roundabout near here that got me stumped for ages trying to add them.

Jon, have you updated the software on your 550 and/or 130? It's the only reason I can think of why they would give different options to before.

Gerry
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to add a non-existent roundabout and the result was as the OP described! Twisted Evil

Fortunately the ones I'd previously added haven't been removed. If I try to add them again it says "The crossing you selected has already been changed to a roundabout by Map Share community members".

Who do TomTom keep removing features that their users find valuable? They've not only reduced the functionality of new models, they're also forcing software updates that screw up devices that their customers have been using happily for many years. Burn In Hell
Samsung Galaxy S21
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added several mini-roundabouts to my own UK&ROI maps previously, but they've never been accepted as a Mapshare update as far as I am aware. I've also tried adding mini-roundabouts via the online Mapshare Reporter - all were rejected by TomTom.

The mini-roundabout I tried to update without success on my 550 and Via 130 is at N 53.83942 W 0.26640.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

Jon, have you updated the software on your 550 and/or 130? It's the only reason I can think of why they would give different options to before.

Gerry

I'm running the most up to date software on both PNDs as far as I'm aware.

The 550 is running App 9.465 and UK&ROI map v905. I haven't got the Via 130 with me at the moment, so can't tell you exactly what it's running, but it's up to date AFAIK and that is also the v905 map.

Also, I've just noticed that the Tomtom link given by justbrowsing which details what mapshare corrections can be made was recently updated. It says it was Updated: 15/04/2013 01.20 PM.

I wonder if that is where the problem is? They've certainly removed the ability to add/remove roundabouts from my PND. I'm not sure exactly what else has altered.

EDIT... Now I've had chance to take a closer look at the Tomtom link provided by justbrowsing I've noticed other mapshare functions that have changed. It would seem that I can no longer change Speed Limits, Incorrect Turn Left/Right signs or even Street names on my PND. Any such corrected errors would not be made on my map, but would be notified to TomTom.

Why do Tomtom keep doing this? The ability to make corrections on your map is a great selling point, and it would seem to have now been severely reduced in scope.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:

Why do Tomtom keep doing this? The ability to make corrections on your map is a great selling point, and it would seem to have now been severely reduced in scope.

Just to wind us up/pi55 us off?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:
EDIT... Now I've had chance to take a closer look at the Tomtom link provided by justbrowsing I've noticed other mapshare functions that have changed. It would seem that I can no longer change Speed Limits, Incorrect Turn Left/Right signs or even Street names on my PND. Any such corrected errors would not be made on my map, but would be notified to TomTom.
Perhaps they are fed up with duff stuff getting into mapshare?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I just can't help it!...

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you didn.t think for a second that I was being serious Dennis Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. I was just thinking it would probably be a waste of time me trying to do my usual six mini-roundabouts and speed limit corrections in Keynsham. Or maybe wait for the next new map.Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that that's another TT good feature down the tubes to add to the list of really good features that they have ditched.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: