Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: BlackVue DR500GW with WiFi Drive Recorder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: BlackVue DR500GW with WiFi Drive Recorder
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes, at a push, an app will do much of this, but the dedicated device, that's always on, and requires no user interaction, is still the best solution.

I completely agree. Before I got my RoadHawk permanently fitted into my car last September, I used a £50 device that was pretty good, but just now and again I forgot to switch it on and was always worried THAT would be the time something happened. Also, every couple of months it would fall off the windscreen, and I’d have to clean the suction cup and put it back. Still handy for loan/hire cars though.

Now I just check some footage once a month to make sure it's working ok, and don't have to remember anything else.

Once small beef, though, is that I have to remember to put it in parking mode. I'd have thought this could be automatic, after 15 minutes or so of being stationary.

Regards, PeteB
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Darren Reply with quote

neil_r_cooper wrote:
Darren thanks for reply. I will interested to see night vision as 50% of my driving is at night this facility is a must. A problem with the cheap DVRs is that the auto light level sees a street light as bright and backs the gain off to make it clear but that plunges the rest of the scene into blackness.

One thing I've found on these cameras is it's best to angle it very low. That way, the picture is generally brighter, day and night.

You don't actually need to see much of the sky (although the recent Russian comet wouldn't have been picked up on my camera, but then that's not why it's there!)

Regards, PeteB
MichaelEvans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are number plates legible at average speeds and distances? The still picture show good clarity but it could be at a very low speed. The video definitely isn't clear enough. My Roadhawk is absolutely useless at reading plates unless stationary with the car no more than a few feet in front, so I wouldn't want to replace it with something equally crap.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this one is plenty capable of resolving the number plate. Difficult to demonstrate as YouTUBE compresses the vide so much. But this is a full HD stream with a good sensor.

Same goes for RoadHawk's HD version.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelEvans wrote:
Are number plates legible at average speeds and distances? The still picture show good clarity but it could be at a very low speed. The video definitely isn't clear enough. My Roadhawk is absolutely useless at reading plates unless stationary with the car no more than a few feet in front, so I wouldn't want to replace it with something equally crap.

I've got the earlier 400 model but I think the resolution is the same as that of the 500. Number plate legibility isn't brilliant, but you can read them when you're close enough to be in danger of colliding with the vehicle in question. Even then, you need to zoom in when watching the footage on a computer. I suppose it would be fair to say that you can read a number plate which is the same distance away as you are required to be able to read it - with spectacles if necessary - for the standard eyesight test.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
bigfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: car cam recarders Reply with quote

Car cam recorder with 1080P HD, I am looking for one of these can someone suggest one for around £40 to £50 which will reliable than you.

Bigfrank
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just purchased this from Amazon uk, first impressions very good for price and very versatile,
Quote:
1 "1280P 2.5" TFT LCD Car DVR Recorder HD DVR Audio Video Camera Recorder Camcorder, Support SD / MMC Cards, USB 2.0, High Speed Recording 6 IR LEDs Nigh"
Electronics; £19.58

and that includes free postage, only managed to use it for 1/2 hour run with 2min shots but now increased to 10mins to try, also can do continuos or motion detection, you cant lose at the orice.

add: you can view display direct on pc via usb lead or just take out card and plug in PC or Android tablet records in AVI, and has rechargeable battery, perhaps the HD is questionable but for price is excellent and more than adequate
bigfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Thank you aj2052 for the information I will try Amazon Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Have just purchased this from Amazon uk, first impressions very good for price and very versatile,
Quote:
1 "1280P 2.5" TFT LCD Car DVR Recorder HD DVR Audio Video Camera Recorder Camcorder, Support SD / MMC Cards, USB 2.0, High Speed Recording 6 IR LEDs Nigh"
Electronics; £19.58

and that includes free postage, only managed to use it for 1/2 hour run with 2min shots but now increased to 10mins to try, also can do continuos or motion detection, you cant lose at the orice.

add: you can view display direct on pc via usb lead or just take out card and plug in PC or Android tablet records in AVI, and has rechargeable battery, perhaps the HD is questionable but for price is excellent and more than adequate
Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this nice tip to allow pass-thru 3G web/data access on your iPhone whilst connected to BlackVue WiFi.

Access Wi-Fi Settings, tap the blue arrow next to the BlackVue WiFi connection and enter these settings:

IP Address - Static
IP Address: 192.168.8.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

You should now get cellular data whilst connected to the camera

Source: www.facebook.com/BlackvueUK

Last edited by Darren on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This user on YouTube does some good reviews on car cams etc.

www.techmoan.com
tozz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out http://www.szswill.com
I have a GoPro mounted on my windshield. I asked about in car dvrs awhile back because of situations just like NY. The roads I drive on people don't car and crap, mufflers and more fall out of vehicles. I really wanted to find one that records 360 on car. Day 1 owning my X5 I would have loved to have one. Had someone put two door dings, front door and back door, the first time parking at work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: