Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav Used to Find Abandoned Child
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav Used to Find Abandoned Child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: SatNav Used to Find Abandoned Child Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Kent police have told how they had to resort to using a drunk woman's satnav to find her child who had been left at home alone.

Police were alerted about the woman when she started trying to kick a pub door down to retrieve a bottle of wine she thought she left there before the bar closed.

Apparently the 41 year old woman, Ruth Evans, got so drunk that she forgot where she left the child. She told the police officers her predicament and they simply retraced her earlier journey on her satnav back from the pub.

The child was found in the house asleep and unharmed.

A judge told Evans she should be "thoroughly ashamed" and handed her 150 hours of unpaid community service for child cruelty, assaulting a police officer and being in charge of a car while unfit through drink.

Source
email icon

IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pleased that the Police were able to find the child but I'm intrigued about how long do Sat Navs retain route info? I know they often retain destination info but do they remeber where they've been? I always undestood this was deleted when switched off?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That intrigued me too as it states they 'retraced' her route. I would have simply asked it to navigate to 'home'.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is simply the writing style they used? In theory if she only went to the pub from home then by navigating 'home' they will have retraced her route.

I can't see them having the knowledge to pull up previous route history etc on various devices, indeed not even all PNDs (assuming it WAS a PND) have the route logging feature.

Personally, I think it was the way it was written to make it look like the police actually did some investigative work instead of just hitting 'home' Smile It wouldn't be as interesting to read it say "The police tapped on 'go home' to get back to the ladies house" would it?

MaFt
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metro wrote:
... couldn’t remember the address.
‘They asked her repeatedly but just received drunken mutterings in response,’ Mr Harvey said.

Sounds like she was too drunk to tell them where she lives. If the planned route to the pub was still active they could get the "From" location. If the route was still shown they could "re-trace" it. Either that or they found 'home'.

The Metro wrote:
They found the house and ‘with the help of others’ got into the property

... then found a neighbour to identify the exact house - possibly with a spare key.

Gerry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: